John Danks 2017 and beyond

Real

So Danks is in his final albatross season with the Sox and was thinking about how the rest of his career pans out.

Will he never be heard from again ala Gavin Floyd, pitching for a team in meaningless games?

is his shoulder f 'd to the point that he retires after this year?

is there a chance he puts up a sub 4 ERA this year and the sox bring him back on a much more affordable deal?

thoughts?

As long as Danks stays healthy and at least pitches the way he has or better, he will easily find work next winter and the pitching FA market will be much thinner than this year's which should help too. He won't be pitching for the Sox but he will be pitching for some MLB team.

In a perfect world. Danks pitches well enough for the Sox to offer a QO, Danks rejects it and the Sox get a comp pick from the team that signs him.

Remember, I did say in a perfect world.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
With the way the FA market is next year, if Danks posts an ERA of around 4.50, which is entirely possible given what should be an improved defensive club, Danks will be a somewhat valuable commodity on the open market. He's been very durable over the last two years and will be 31 when FA hits. He'll get a 3-4 year deal from someone.

This. He will have value as a lefty and an innings eater.

Danks does not fit in the White Sox plans. They would love to move him now but there are not any takers for him. The White Sox haven't invited Danks to Soxfest the last couple of years. 2016 will be the last year for Danks in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
If he pitches decently, it's more likely he gets traded in July.

Presuming we are not in contention by then, which I refuse to believe at the moment that we won't be. The additions of both Frazier and Lawrie are very encouraging, as is the prospect of adding any one of the three oft-mentioned free agent outfielders. Those additions and a little more tidying up of the roster here and there, along with entering the season with a fearsome threesome of Sale, Quintana and Rodon, should propel us into a formidable position to contend for the division. So any talk of selling at July of any performing assets at this point seems very premature. Let's continue to support the efforts underway to take us out of Losersville and into a position to win, for godsake, so that any talk about July involves buying, not selling.

Who knows, maybe Danks has finally learned to pitch more effectively without his pre-surgery stuff now that he's 4 years removed from surgery, and he somehow puts up a strong contract year performance. Then there would be a few Danks apologists on this board who wishes the Sox bring him back for 2017 and beyond :lol:

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
Who knows, maybe Danks has finally learned to pitch more effectively without his pre-surgery stuff now that he's 4 years removed from surgery, and he somehow puts up a strong contract year performance. Then there would be a few Danks apologists on this board who wishes the Sox bring him back for 2017 and beyond :lol:

If he does anything in his post-Sox days, you know there will be those who reform history to complain about his being gone.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)

I appreciate John Danks more than most, but there is virtually no chance he is on the 2017 roster. While, yes, his rank as a qualified pitcher has left a lot to be desired, if you look at teams' 5th starter position, they use a lot of non qualified guys. I doubt many teams get much more out of their #5 starter than the White Sox. But even if he is better than he is been, he would become a 5 and 10 guy in 2017, giving him full trade protection. The White Sox save that for guys like Buehrle and Konerko and Fisk, not Johnny Danks. He's a goner unless he wants to pitch for total reclamation project money on a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I appreciate John Danks more than most, but there is virtually no chance he is on the 2017 roster. While, yes, his rank as a qualified pitcher has left a lot to be desired, if you look at teams' 5th starter position, they use a lot of non qualified guys. I doubt many teams get much more out of their #5 starter than the White Sox. But even if he is better than he is been, he would become a 5 and 10 guy in 2017, giving him full trade protection. The White Sox save that for guys like Buehrle and Konerko and Fisk, not Johnny Danks. He's a goner unless he wants to pitch for total reclamation project money on a 1 year deal.

Agreed. This season is his chance to pitch back up to mid-rotation consideration. If he does, he could sign a Happ contract like someone said. If not though, the opportunity cost of locking a 5th starter into your rotation is higher than merely his salary, because you want to give those innings to rookies with upside who are getting acclimated to the majors. Without some improvement, he's going to be seen as a stopgap, which means he'll sign late in the offseason or early at a very low and possibly incentives-based deal.

If the White Sox end up giving him that deal, it probably means something went wrong -- either injuries or failed development of younger guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)

Don't be shocked to see Danks move up at the 4th starter a couple months into the season. I am not sold on Erik Johnson, and not sure if we would add anyone to the rotation before season starts. If he performs well as a 4th starter, I wouldn't mind giving him a 2/$25M deal as a stop gap to the guys we have down in the minor. But he'd be taking a hometown discount in that scenario, which I know isn't too likely.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:12 AM)
I could see him getting a contact similar to what J.A. Happ got this offseason if he pitches somewhat decently in 2016.

Wow, I hadn't compared their numbers before, but Danks last three years aren't that far off of what Happ has typically done. Maybe Danks isn't as overpaid as we all thought.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Wow, I hadn't compared their numbers before, but Danks last three years aren't that far off of what Happ has typically done. Maybe Danks isn't as overpaid as we all thought.

fWAR total over the last 3 years:

Happ: 5.3

Danks: 2.5

Danks could well have it in him to put together a 3 WAR season again at some point and make himself look like Happ, but let's not go crazy here. Over the last 3 years, Happ's FIP is about 4, Danks's is about 4.5.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
fWAR total over the last 3 years:

Happ: 5.3

Danks: 2.5

Danks could well have it in him to put together a 3 WAR season again at some point and make himself look like Happ, but let's not go crazy here. Over the last 3 years, Happ's FIP is about 4, Danks's is about 4.5.

that also skewed pretty heavily when Happ went to Pittsburgh. Happ is going back to the AL East this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Looking closer 2.4 of that WAR was directly from his Pirates time.

If you look more closely, out of the last 4 seasons, he's had an xFIP between 3.9 and 4.0 in 2 of those years, 2013 he was substantially higher, 2015 was 3.65 - so even with some minor league stints, you can make a decent case that you have a guy who can put up an xFIP near 4, that includes time in Torotno.

Danks, OTOH, since his injury, 4.08, 4.62, 4.65. He's got to perform a lot better next year in order to convince anyone that he can put up anything like the outings Happ has done.

The one thing Happ hasn't done that Danks has doen in that stretch is get up to 190 innings. So maybe you expect Danks to give a few more starts than Happ if you're signing him, but you can't convince me he's either flipping an on switch or getting better based on his numbers.

As of right now, Danks is a couple steps below Happ no matter which year you look at.