Lazarito

southsider2k5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
He doesn't really have any reason to lie signing as a 16-year old. Unless he is saying he's older to be able to sign quicker.

He is probably more valuable as a 16 year old than as someone a year or 2 older. Many years ago when I played American Legion, scouts would give some of us index cards to fill out some of our information. I was younger than most of the guys on the team, and it was always "suggested" that you make yourself a year or 2 younger on the card. I would think if you got drafted, that would eventually be detected. But with the international guys, you never know. So there is probably some motivation to make himself a little younger, although he is probably legitimately 16.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
I don't mean to sound like a tool, but is there any legit proof that this guy is really 16?

Ben Badler of Baseball America - who is probably the most expert guy out there in the US on LatAm baseball - was discussing this recently. Believe it or not, the records in Cuba are considered much harder to fudge and more likely to be accurate than the ones from the DR. That was in reference to current times, and apparently a decade or two ago it was much worse in Cuba.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Ben Badler of Baseball America - who is probably the most expert guy out there in the US on LatAm baseball - was discussing this recently. Believe it or not, the records in Cuba are considered much harder to fudge and more likely to be accurate than the ones from the DR. That was in reference to current times, and apparently a decade or two ago it was much worse in Cuba.

Yes, there were people who swore Contreras and El Duque were 10 years older than their listed ages.

And to add something actually relevant to this thread....

JP: would Lazarito crack your top 100, if eligible?

Klaw: Absolutely not. Wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Mike: How much time in the minors will Lazarito likely need, assuming he’s legit?

Klaw: That guy has gotten way more press than his workouts have merited. He may get his $20-30 million but I haven’t found a scout that put in a report that would get him close to that money.

Keith Law is not a fan.

MLB ‏@MLB 38m38 minutes ago

Cuban phenom “Lazarito” says he plans to make a decision by Wednesday. Who's in the running? http://atmlb.com/1nVN9is

The Dodgers, Cubs, Giants and Royals -- who have each exceeded their bonus pools this year and won't be able to sign any pool-eligible prospects for more than $300,000 for the next two international signing periods -- are still in play for Armenteros during the current period.

The Braves, Padres and Phillies have been very aggressive on the international market and each team expects to have a solid class of prospects for the next international signing period that starts on July 2. Armenteros would have to wait until July 2 if he wanted to sign with those three clubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 10h10 hours ago

Cuban phenom Lazarito nearing decision.

Sent with @MLB At Bat Cubs among the teams believed to be in picture. http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20160208&...lb&c_id=mlb

Why wouldn't every team that went over be in on this.

I think he signs during the upcoming period, but he did say that he is close to making a decision.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 2h2 hours ago

Lazaro "Lazarito” Armenteros, 16-yr-old Cuban phenom, expected to decide team today or tom Word is he was at #Padres complex 4 days recently

He'd have to wait until next signing period to sign with Padres I believe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 10m10 minutes ago

Agent: Lazarito Not Close To Decision http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/laza...sion-close.html

This means that he's probably signing with a team for the 2016 class. If the Braves are offering the most $$, he has incentive to wait.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Worldwide draft really will be a benefit in that respect.

And honestly it doesn't even need to be a separate draft. Put them all into one entry draft unless we are talking about true free agents. That would be the most equitable way to do things.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
And honestly it doesn't even need to be a separate draft. Put them all into one entry draft unless we are talking about true free agents. That would be the most equitable way to do things.

I think it would need to start out separate, otherwise it is a severe disadvantage to the international prospects. Raw 16 years olds would be selected infrequently in the first round compared to more refined American players at 18-23. Plus that would create some eligibility issues for MLB, it would be very difficult for MLB to keep American kids out of the draft at 16 if they made their international counterparts eligible for the same draft.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
I think it would need to start out separate, otherwise it is a severe disadvantage to the international prospects. Raw 16 years olds would be selected infrequently in the first round compared to more refined American players at 18-23. Plus that would create some eligibility issues for MLB, it would be very difficult for MLB to keep American kids out of the draft at 16 if they made their international counterparts eligible for the same draft.

They should make it years old, or HS graduates anyway. Truly level the playing field. American draft kids are already at a disadvantage because they are locked into one team through the draft.