Ken Griffey gets 99.32% of Hall of Fame vote. Highest ever.

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
seems to be misinformation

he's not a voter

Dang. Got that from a friend.

Edit - He just sent me this:

... apparently that was from somebody who got purged from the voter rolls and the BBWAA site f***ed up by posting it.

GG BBAA

84114cce4e662ea3bccf8f45c1e7cce7.jpg

Pretty emotional for me. I've now seen my favorite white sox player ever (Big Frank) and my favorite overall player ever (Griffey Jr.) get in in consecutive years. He was the reason I emulated his stance and batted lefty, played CF, etc. Pretty cool I got to see him wear the sox uni also. Thanks for my childhood Griffey Jr. and congratulations.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Am I alone in liking the history that nobody gets 100%?

Griffey certainly was a great player but for him to be the only player to ever get 100% kind of doesn't feel right.

The story that he was the only player to ever get 100% would be.....I don't really know how to explain it.

It doesn't make sense NOT to vote for Griffey, but there are a couple things that I don't get upset about at all:

1- This issue. A few weirdos out of 440 didn't vote for him. Big deal. If they didn't take away privileges away from 100 voters, he wouldn't have gotten 98% probably, so it's improving.

2- Buddy votes. If you don't want David Eckstein to get a vote, don't put him on the ballot at all.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
It doesn't make sense NOT to vote for Griffey, but there are a couple things that I don't get upset about at all:

1- This issue. A few weirdos out of 440 didn't vote for him. Big deal. If they didn't take away privileges away from 100 voters, he wouldn't have gotten 98% probably, so it's improving.

2- Buddy votes. If you don't want David Eckstein to get a vote, don't put him on the ballot at all.

The one plausible scenario I have seen is if a guy had 11 names he wanted to vote for, he could have left Griffey off knowing he was getting in and used his 10 votes for the others.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
The one plausible scenario I have seen is if a guy had 11 names he wanted to vote for, he could have left Griffey off knowing he was getting in and used his 10 votes for the others.

Right, although I haven't heard anyone come forward and say that's what they did.

I mentioned new guys next year- Ivan Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, and Vlad Guerrero. Guess I should have included Jorge Posada too, but I hope he falls off quick.

Omar Vizquel is going to be an interesting case in a few years. He has so much support for whatever reason.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
I mentioned new guys next year- Ivan Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, and Vlad Guerrero. Guess I should have included Jorge Posada too, but I hope he falls off quick.

Omar Vizquel is going to be an interesting case in a few years. He has so much support for whatever reason.

Posada will be around for awhile due to the yankee championship ties.

Did not realize this.

Don't be fooled by the percentages.

The chances of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds making the Hall of Fame didn't necessarily improve with the results of the 2016 voting, which were announced Wednesday.

Yes, the respective percentages of both former greats jumped, Clemens from 37.6 percent to 45.2 and Bonds from 36.8 percent to 44.3. But both are still well short of the 75 percent minimum needed for induction -- and both actually received seven fewer raw votes than they did a year ago from the eligible members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

The percentage increases for Clemens and Bonds, then, were something of an illusion -- and almost directly attributable to the Hall’s decision last July to eliminate voters who were more than 10 years removed from actively covering the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
7 fewer total votes, but about 100 less people voting.

I'd say it's not an unfair guess that 100 people who were cleared out due to not having covered MLB in >10 years would probably be a group particularly strongly biased against the roiders.