Marcell Ozuna

GGajewski18

According to MLBtradeumors, 10 teams have contacted the Marlins about him. 25 years old with 4 years of control.

Rangers have discussed him with Chi Chi Gonzalez and one other player being involved.

I was watching stat cast today on MLB Network, they mentioned that Ozuna was top 20 in the MLB in exit velocity, the only one in the top 20 who had a bad year. They mentioned bad luck and a lot of ground balls in the first half of the season.

Danish and Engel enough to get him?

All of this of course, is based on if we do not get one of Cespedes/Upton.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
According to MLBtradeumors, 10 teams have contacted the Marlins about him. 25 years old with 4 years of control.

Rangers have discussed him with Chi Chi Gonzalez and one other player being involved.

I was watching stat cast today on MLB Network, they mentioned that Ozuna was top 20 in the MLB in exit velocity, the only one in the top 20 who had a bad year. They mentioned bad luck and a lot of ground balls in the first half of the season.

Thoughts?

Supposedly the Marlins have been asking for a #1 starter type. The price probably starts with Fulmer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Supposedly the Marlins have been asking for a #1 starter type. The price probably starts with Fulmer.

I know that, but like I mentioned in my post, they are/were talking to the Rangers about Chi Chi Gonzalez who does not look like a #1 to say the least. Maybe not even a starter.

His numbers weren't great in the minors, and he really struggled last year in 67 innings with the Rangers. 32 walks to 30 strikeouts....

Talks involving the Rangers have supposedly involved Chi Chi Gonzalez and another piece. Gonzalez is a consensus top 100 prospect, #29 in MLB to start last season according to BP, and one of the top guys in a system much stronger than ours, with a big league stint already under his belt. Danish and Engel together does not seem a package that comes near rivaling Gonzalez on his own, let alone Gonzalez and another piece. A top 100 pitching prospect from our org basically means Fulmer would have to be the centerpiece to match Gonzalez alone, assuming of course they're not moving Rodon, which they shouldn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
Talks involving the Rangers have supposedly involved Chi Chi Gonzalez and another piece. Gonzalez is a consensus top 100 prospect, #29 in MLB to start last season according to BP, and one of the top guys in a system much stronger than ours, with a big league stint already under his belt. Danish and Engel together does not seem a package that comes near rivaling Gonzalez on his own, let alone Gonzalez and another piece. A top 100 pitching prospect from our org basically means Fulmer would have to be the centerpiece to match Gonzalez alone, assuming of course they're not moving Rodon, which they shouldn't.

I dont understand the top 100 status on Gonzalez. This is my point. Look at what he has done in the minors and his stint in the majors.

If anything, he's put up similar numbers to Danish at all levels.

While I like the idea of Ozuna and was all for trading for him at the beginning of the off season, I've moved on. I think the Marlins will get the price they seek for Ozuna and I don't think the Sox have enough left if they don't include one of Fulmer/Anderson. Imo, Ozuna to the SOX ain't happening.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
I dont understand the top 100 status on Gonzalez. This is my point. Look at what he has done in the minors and his stint in the majors.

If anything, he's put up similar numbers to Danish at all levels.

For some reason BP is much more bullish on him than seemingly most other places, but some differences with Danish are that Gonzalez's fastball averages 93 where that's Danish's peak, and when he was pushed upwards quickly he was in the big leagues within 2 years of being drafted rather than at AA (high school/college guy difference). Danish relying on a quirky delivery might be another part, but hard to know.

BP has guys who even late last season were saying he had a more promising future than Rodon. I'm not sure why, but apparently there's something about him that the people at BP adore.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
.691 OPS, with high K and low OBP.....for a #1 starter.

How about for E Johnson...maybe

a .772 OPS and 23 HR as a 23 year old in center field. If you think he's the guy he was last year, then EJ is an appropriate price offer. If you think he can develop and build on that 23 year old season, then you offer up a possible top rotation guy for him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
.691 OPS, with high K and low OBP.....for a #1 starter.

How about for E Johnson...maybe

I'd do that, doubt Miami would.

I think Miami is just entertaining the idea on the off chance a team is willing to over pay. It would be smarter to take a chance on hoping he rebounds this year and then put him on the market next winter when there's less outfielders on the market.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
a .772 OPS and 23 HR as a 23 year old in center field. If you think he's the guy he was last year, then EJ is an appropriate price offer. If you think he can develop and build on that 23 year old season, then you offer up a possible top rotation guy for him.

That .772 OPS was also with high K and a low OBP. See nothing to suggest that he's the position player equivalent of top of the rotation.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
That .772 OPS was also with high K and a low OBP. See nothing to suggest that he's the position player equivalent of top of the rotation.

I wouldn't make that sort of move if I were in the white sox organization's place either. However, a team like Texas, with confidence in their coaching staff's ability to work with people to get them to reach their talent level, a deep organization that regularly produces big leaguers even if they still have a need in CF so that they have surplus guys to move, and a desire to compete in multiple years, this could be a solid move for them. Get a guy under team control a number of years in a tough position to find a decent bat, hopefully after the Marlins did the hard work of giving them a chance to struggle through their early years.

The Sox certainly couldn't give up one of their pitchers for him then have him be a failure.

Plus the Rangers can't really count on Hamilton...they clearly need a contingency plan with Shoo getting older and having more health issues.

Their line-up is also LH heavy. Choo and Hamilton...DeShields outperformed, so questions about repeatability with him. He always projected as more of a fourth OF. And, one of their better OF prospects, Mazara is also LH.

Not to mention Fielder, Gallo, Moreland and Odor are LH on the infield.

If I'm Texas, Gallo, Profar and a ton of pitching depth make a trade for Ozuna or one year deal for Upton equally promising options. Plus, signing Cespedes or Upton pretty much buries the Angels' chances of competing this year if the Texas pitching staff can remain healthy.

Upton can choose from lineups like Toronto, Texas and Detroit as well as the Cardinals to help him put up the best one year numbers and bounce back into the market again with negotiating leverage. It would make his character/work ethic cloud lesser if he was a major part of a playoff team again, like his first or second year with Arizona.

Edited by caulfield12

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/161506558/13...sible-solutions

Another Phi Rogers "spit-balling" column...hitting on a lot of familiar names we've been talking about.

I guess the newest one would be the Mets trading either Flores or Tejada to a team looking for a SS, and the White Sox listed as a possibility.

Hector Santiago for an outfielder. (Santiago for Avi Garcia, done!)

Basically, everyone in the Dodgers' outfield going somewhere besides Puig or Pederson, including Alex Guerrero.

Marisnick/Tucker

Marcell Ozuna for pitching help, etc.

Jay Bruce.

Swisher/Bourn/Markakis

Rusney Castillo out if the Red Sox are content to go with Holt, Bradley, Jr., and Betts. Another Cuban.

And many more...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)

Thoughts?

new hitting coach Barry Bonds has been lobbying loud and hard for the Marlins to keep Ozuna. He thinks he can fix whatever is ailing him. I bet the Marlins listen to Bonds