Jason Benetti, new Sox home PxP

Heads22

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
I don't think you can really judge him yet. Getting excited about spring training homers and strikeouts just sounds phony, so I am glad he isn't trying to sell that. When the games count, and his feet are sufficiently wet will be when you see what he is. I think he will be pretty good, and no knock on him,but I am looking forward to a Hawkeroo sighting in less than 2 weeks.

I also think the breaks throughout the season will re-energize Hawk a bit as well. Plus I'm really hoping the Sox are good this year and Hawk is a pretty fun guy to have announcing Sox games when the club is doing well.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched parts of the games over the weekend. I thought he sounded good. And like others have said, his voice was a bit surprising. It will be interesting to hear how he sounds during games that count.

Overall, though, I like the combo of him and Stone more than Hawk and Stone.

Not going to lie, I've enjoyed him so far. I think he has some good chemistry with Stone and it's what? 7 games into ST? Give it some time to where he's traveling and eating out with the guys and learning and getting more comfortable.

He's on like day 8 of training of his new job. I'm sure none of us were this polished 8 days into a new job.

He's actually pretty sneaky funny.

If I do have a problem it is his homerun inflection isn't the best. However, we also are used to Hawk, probably one of the more exciting calls in the last decades for a homerun. So I don't think it's a smart career decision for Benetti to come in with some crazy catch phrase to try and match Hawk.

Let him ease in. Then basically a few years down the line, maybe develop one.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Not going to lie, I've enjoyed him so far. I think he has some good chemistry with Stone and it's what? 7 games into ST? Give it some time to where he's traveling and eating out with the guys and learning and getting more comfortable.

He's on like day 8 of training of his new job. I'm sure none of us were this polished 8 days into a new job.

He's actually pretty sneaky funny.

If I do have a problem it is his homerun inflection isn't the best. However, we also are used to Hawk, probably one of the more exciting calls in the last decades for a homerun. So I don't think it's a smart career decision for Benetti to come in with some crazy catch phrase to try and match Hawk.

Let him ease in. Then basically a few years down the line, maybe develop one.

This. I watched a few innings for the first time yesterday and found him very enjoyable to listen too and the chemistry definitely is there with Stone. No doubt about it. No offense to Hawk but I hope it will be Benetti and Stone full time next year.

The thing about Benetti is, IMO, you can still hear some nervousness on his voice, which is understandable. The other day, I forget which ST game, he asked Stone a very odd question. I believe it was about a guy's name or how many times he's seen something in his life. Stone responded with "I didn't think about that coming into the booth today, but off of my head, none." It was very awkward. Other than that, I think he sounds very good in terms of voice and tone. Stone is great and I love listening to him. Benetti at least lets Stone have his time to shine, which Hawk does not.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
The thing about Benetti is, IMO, you can still hear some nervousness on his voice, which is understandable. The other day, I forget which ST game, he asked Stone a very odd question. I believe it was about a guy's name or how many times he's seen something in his life. Stone responded with "I didn't think about that coming into the booth today, but off of my head, none." It was very awkward. Other than that, I think he sounds very good in terms of voice and tone. Stone is great and I love listening to him. Benetti at least lets Stone have his time to shine, which Hawk does not.

I think that is just Stone's personality in general, not anything specific to Benetti. Stone is just very sarcastic.

I really like Benetti, he is light years better than Hawk.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
I've hoped that Hawk would have slid over to color and allowed someone else to handle the PxP.

Not worth losing Stone over.

Hawk's input is irrelevant, out of date, or dead wrong. Stone can basically sit there and call pitches. It's high time Hawk retires.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
Not worth losing Stone over.

Hawk's input is irrelevant, out of date, or dead wrong. Stone can basically sit there and call pitches. It's high time Hawk retires.

No kidding. I repeat myself constantly on this: Hawk is a legend but nobody benefits, not the Sox, not Hawk, and most certainly not the listener, from hearing his semi-senile calls in 2016. He should have been canned after 2012 and this is coming from a kid who fell asleep to Hawk called games on WGN and Satellite in the early 90s almost ever night.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
No kidding. I repeat myself constantly on this: Hawk is a legend but nobody benefits, not the Sox, not Hawk, and most certainly not the listener, from hearing his semi-senile calls in 2016. He should have been canned after 2012 and this is coming from a kid who fell asleep to Hawk called games on WGN and Satellite in the early 90s almost ever night.

i agree.... he helped with the sox by making it enjoyable to listen and is a legend. but the time has come.... he needs to retire.

• 2 months later...