Harold Baines

Dick Allen

I just came back from Boston, and obviously am very pleased with the results. I was staying at the Marriott, where the team stayed, which I've done before in several cities. It was interesting to see the large number of White Sox fans at the hotel.It was by far the greatest number I have ever seen. All the players were very gracious with autographs and photos. I was sitting down on a chair in the lobby just watching everything going on, when Harold sat next to me. I said hello, and asked him a stupid question, he started talking and frankly wouldn't stop. He was pretty funny. One of the writers in the Herald noticed he's been talking more lately. Knowing he is a big favorite of JR, I was wondering if the Sox have sent him to one of those media training things, maybe to prepare him for a bigger job. As a manager, those one word answers he's famous for,(although appropriate most of the time) wouldn't go over very well. The White Sox offense really started to take off when Walker hurt his elbow, and Harold stepped in. Could Harold succeed JM? Would it be a good move? Personally I think if JM is launched, Backman, or a big name with MLB managing experience should get the job, but it would not surprise me if I'm on to something.

Oh Dick, btw, did you see the AM1000 guys in the bar Friday night?

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, thanks to bankrupt United Airlines, my flight was canceled, then put on stand by for 2 flights, which we didn't get on, then delayed an hour. I didn't get to the hotel until about 12:30 am, and went to bed. I missed the loss, saw the victories. Where they at the sports bar in the hotel? For anyone travelling to Boston and staying in the Back Bay, do not take a taxi. It was $35 for an 8 mile trip. The have vans that are $10.

Sox don't have Joe Torre's talent -- or bank roll -- the last time I checked.

frankly, win or lose, I'd rather see Carlton Fisk.

I think he'd be outstanding -- and he wouldn't stand for any half-assed effort, even in April or May.

Never forget the day he destroyed Deion Sanders when Deion didn't run out a popout while playing for the other team, the Yankees, I believe.

One Major vote for Pudge.

Exactly, and that's my point. Flip-flop Manuel and Torre this year, and the teams probably have the same records. No manager was going to motivate Paul Konerko out of hitting .098, or motivate Billy Koch to throw 100 mph.

frankly, win or lose, I'd rather see Carlton Fisk.

I think he'd be outstanding -- and he wouldn't stand for any half-assed effort, even in April or May.

Never forget the day he destroyed Deion Sanders when Deion didn't run out a popout while playing for the other team, the Yankees, I believe.

One Major vote for Pudge.

Don't forget about the time Pudge jumped all over Deion for drawing "$$$" in the dirt while Deion took his spot in the batters box..... also when Deion was w/NY :lol:

If Harlod is being groomed for something I think it would be to replace KW.  Imagine dealing with that Poker face.  As manager, I am not sure he could motivate.

I have to give KW credit. He's made some awesome moves this season & doesn't deserve to be canned. If the Sox don't win this year it isin't because KW didn't set them up for success.

I think Backman has earned it. Where has Baines Managed?

The only thing about not making the playoffs, is that Manuel is gone for Sure. I bet the day after the seasons over he's gone

I think they are kind of letting Baines hang around to get a feeling for what he may want to do in the future. With he and Sandy Alomar we have some good guys on the bench for teh future of the organization.

What this team needs after Manuel is fired is a manager who is PROVEN both in the regular and postseason. I'm sick of this Organization hiring managers with no experience other than being a bench, base, pitching, etc. coach from another Organization.

The only ex-White Sox player with no MLB coaching experience I would want to see managing the White Sox is Carlton Fisk.

Fisk is God.

Fisk would also bring some fans back with him.

Sox fans generally love the guy.

He battled his ass off.

the only problem -- and a major one -- is that he and JR had a falling out during 1993. He stayed away for a long time and then wore his Red Sox hat at Cooperstown.

But if JR could be convinced that this would be a good way to please fans -- and hire a smart, tough guy -- maybe he would do it.

Pudge definitely gets my vote.