Padres Sign Alexei Ramirez

Sockin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
It's been a long time since the Sox haven't had a position player on the roster for at least 8 consecutive seasons.

What a cool bit of trivia.

Alexei Ramirez - Paul Konerko - Frank Thomas - Ozzie Guillen - Carlton Fisk - Jerry Hairston - ...?

I can get back to 1983. Anybody in 1982?

Edit: Hairston is wrong, flavum's on it up there with Squires.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
What a cool bit of trivia.

Alexei Ramirez - Paul Konerko - Frank Thomas - Ozzie Guillen - Carlton Fisk - Jerry Hairston - ...?

I can get back to 1983. Anybody in 1982?

Hairston had a break in there. Squires was in his 8th consecutive in 1983, but 8th overall in 1982.

Others in there...Lance Johnson, Ray Durham, Magglio Ordonez, AJ Pierzynski, Greg Walker, Joe Crede, Robin Ventura, Ron Karkovice

The funny thing is, the new leader is Avisail Garcia, who would be going into his 4th straight. If he's gone, then it's Abreu and Eaton going into their 3rd. Quite a turnover.

Edited by flavum

Alexei playing elsewhere is one of those things that won't hit me, until it truly happens. I just suspect that once he reaches an agreement with Pads, he's going to call Sox up and see what they'll do. If he is to go elsewhere, I'm very grateful for the 8 years he gave to the Sox and will always cheer for him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Alexei playing elsewhere is one of those things that won't hit me, until it truly happens. I just suspect that once he reaches an agreement with Pads, he's going to call Sox up and see what they'll do. If he is to go elsewhere, I'm very grateful for the 8 years he gave to the Sox and will always cheer for him.

If he agrees with the padres why would he call the white sox for last min deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)

I agree, I would bet Lexi circles back and gives the Sox one more call before inking with SD

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Thanks for the year of Grand Slams Alexei.

With 6 grand slams, Alexei Ramirez has hit more of them than the following players:

Jose Bautista

Ryan Braun

Carlton Fisk

Frank Howard

Andruw Jones

Roger Maris

Ryne Sandberg

Alfonso Soriano

Giancarlo Stanton

Chase Utley

Jayson Werth

Ryan Zimmerman

Miguel Cabrera

Adrian Gonzalez

Mike Trout

Justin Upton

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I don't know why the Sox didn't trade Alexei. I thought he was coming back for sure for the simple reason that they never got anything for him.

See what he signs for. To trade him they would have had to pick up the $10 million option. That might answer the question.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
See what he signs for. To trade him they would have had to pick up the $10 million option. That might answer the question.

They should have traded him during the season. They obviously knew they weren't picking up the option.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
They should have traded him during the season. They obviously knew they weren't picking up the option.

And what would they have gotten before he started to get better after the deadline? .234/.260/.329 at the trade deadline. Not exactly top prospect worthy numbers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
And what would they have gotten before he started to get better after the deadline? .234/.260/.329 at the trade deadline. Not exactly top prospect worthy numbers.

2 live arms in A ball. Doesn't matter. They could have moved him through waivers in August for something. They chose to play him in a lost season and let him walk anyway. It's not a big deal but it really doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:48 PM)
2 live arms in A ball. Doesn't matter. They could have moved him through waivers in August for something. They chose to play him in a lost season and let him walk anyway. It's not a big deal but it really doesn't make sense.

I don't think they made the choice to move on from him until after the season. If they decided before the season ended, then shame on them for not getting Saladino more reps at SS.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
I don't think they made the choice to move on from him until after the season. If they decided before the season ended, then shame on them for not getting Saladino more reps at SS.

Saladino has played SS his entire life. Does it really matter he didn't play a few games at SS in September, when usually he isn't playing anyway?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
Saladino has played SS his entire life. Does it really matter he didn't play a few games at SS in September, when usually he isn't playing anyway?

To me, the more reps the better. Especially for someone coming off of injury.

Since we're looking in hindsight, the time to trade Alexei was last winter when the Mets were reportedly interested and the return was speculated to be either Flores or Wheeler. I remember there being a thread on the rumor of Alexei to the Mets and the expectations on a return for Alexei were ridiculous. Again, its all in hindsight and irrelevant now.

I wish Alexei nothing but the very best and I really hope SD signs him over Desmond. Maybe Alexei can mentor Amarista.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 19s19 seconds ago Florida, USA

alexei ramirez, padres are in agreement on 1-year deal

Good for Alexei, I'll always root for him. I'm sure if the Sox are in contention and Saladino is struggling, we'll hear rumors of him as a trade possibility for the Sox.