Padres Sign Alexei Ramirez

Sockin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
What a cool bit of trivia.

Alexei Ramirez - Paul Konerko - Frank Thomas - Ozzie Guillen - Carlton Fisk - Jerry Hairston - ...?

I can get back to 1983. Anybody in 1982?

Edit: Hairston is wrong, flavum's on it up there with Squires.

Ventura?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
What a cool bit of trivia.

Alexei Ramirez - Paul Konerko - Frank Thomas - Ozzie Guillen - Carlton Fisk - Jerry Hairston - ...?

I can get back to 1983. Anybody in 1982?

Edit: Hairston is wrong, flavum's on it up there with Squires.

Fisk was on the '81 & '82 teams.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Fisk was on the '81 & '82 teams.

Fisk wasn't in his 8th straight season with the Sox until 1988.

The answer to the question...when was the last time the Sox didn't have a position player on the roster for 8 consecutive seasons?, is 1986.

Mike Squires 1984-1985

1986 Baines in his 7th season, Squires was done.

Other position players in their 8th straight season with the Sox or longer...

Harold Baines 1987-1989

Carlton Fisk 1988-1993

Jerry Hairston 1989-1990

Greg Walker 1989-1990

Ozzie Guillen 1992-1997

Ron Karkovice 1993-1997

Lance Johnson 1995

Robin Ventura 1996-1998

Frank Thomas 1997-2005

Ray Durham 2002

Magglio Ordonez 2004

Paul Konerko 2006-2014

Joe Crede 2007-2008

AJ Pierzynski 2012

Alexei Ramirez 2015

And now the longest position player tenure is Avisail Garcia and Leury Garcia, if they play in their 4th straight this year.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
Alexei Ramirez finishes his White Sox career with 4999 plate appearances.

When he's in his 40s and retired, let's sign him to an honorary one-day contract and get him that elusive #5000!

He IS in his 40's.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Since we're looking in hindsight, the time to trade Alexei was last winter when the Mets were reportedly interested and the return was speculated to be either Flores or Wheeler. I remember there being a thread on the rumor of Alexei to the Mets and the expectations on a return for Alexei were ridiculous. Again, its all in hindsight and irrelevant now.

I wish Alexei nothing but the very best and I really hope SD signs him over Desmond. Maybe Alexei can mentor Amarista.

Soxtalk was pretty split on either trading him coming off a decent season or keeping him. Can always re-visit the thread to see who was right. Just pretty odd that the Sox got nothing for him when they could have and also Samardzija . Lost opportunities really seem to be a theme that hurts the Sox even though we can never know what they would have received back for either .

Good luck Alexei thanks for the memories.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Gonna guess 1/6.5m w/ 1m worth of incentives

Terms haven't been disclosed yet other than it being a 1 year deal with an option year. I guessed long ago if the Sox were to resign him, which I didn't think they'd do, it would be in the 3-5M range and I'll stick to that with the Padres if it ever gets disclosed.

This saddens me. You can jump on Greg for his opinions on this but here they are. ...

We just had a nice upgrade at third and second and kind of nullify it with this move. Why not sign Lexi for one year?? We take a hit offensively now at ss and it's not as if Saladino is a certain Luis Aparicio defensively. You guys can educate me but is Saladino a SURE BET to be a defensive dandy at short?

Lexi had some pop in his bat. We're going to miss him, folks, you wait and see. Infield just took a severe hit.

Unless Lexi truly is about 44 years old this makes NO SENSE for a contender. One year 5-6 million and Lexi with a lot to prove. Hope Saladino can handle the pressure. Yes, Lexi booted a lot of grounders but he was not a defensive liability and could stroke a key hit or two.

Good for Lexi though. He won't have to battle the cold weather of April/May.

Edited by greg775

I love me some Alexei, and I will miss him. But it was time to move on. Alexei isn't the most intelligent baseball player of all time, and he's the type of guy the Sox need to shed themselves of to play winning baseball.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei raked for the Pads in 2016.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 04:35 AM)
I love me some Alexei, and I will miss him. But it was time to move on. Alexei isn't the most intelligent baseball player of all time, and he's the type of guy the Sox need to shed themselves of to play winning baseball.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei raked for the Pads in 2016.

Only reason to not sign him to a one year deal (bargain) is if he truly is over 40. He does look kinda old in the face lending some doubt. Nobody can deny the team is weaker without Lexi right now. SS took a hit today.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 04:36 AM)
Only reason to not sign him to a one year deal (bargain) is if he truly is over 40. He does look kinda old in the face lending some doubt. Nobody can deny the team is weaker without Lexi right now. SS took a hit today.

I think Saladino will have a higher WAR

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 04:41 AM)
I think Saladino will have a higher WAR

I hope you are right.

You are a thoroughly knowledgeable fan. Don't you see the real possibility Saladino will choke and be miserable defensively at the key position of ss? Not everybody can handle the pressure. Again, it's not like Saladino is proven. I'm concerned.

Again ... why upgrade 3B and 2B for good money and let affordable Lexi walk?? Makes zero sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)

I dont see the Sox as being a weaker team without Lexi. The additions of Frazier and Lawrie outweigh the loss of Lexi and it's projected as such.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 04:55 AM)
I dont see the Sox as being a weaker team without Lexi. The additions of Frazier and Lawrie outweigh the loss of Lexi and it's projected as such.

I see it differently. I see it as Sox having worst shortstop in AL Central now. And 2B and 3B could go either way. Hopefully both will rake to go with MVP at 1B.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
They would have worst SS either way

If he's in his 30s, he'll have a bounceback year. Minnie's death ruined him. I never understand why fans think certain guys can bounce back (hopes for Dunn back in the day and now LaRoche and many assume Melky will return to stardom) but some guys can't return to greatness (Lexi)?

Edited by greg775

Alexei did right by the White Sox and he will be missed but let's face it, he's slowing down with age. It happens. Alexei's range and arm strength will continue to diminish just like any other aging SS. Saladino should give the Sox more range at SS with a younger arm.

The question is will Saladino be able to hit well enough to stick? That's the gamble but then again, so is keeping an aging veteran at a position that relies heavily on range and arm strength.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 04:37 AM)
Alexei did right by the White Sox and he will be missed but let's face it, he's slowing down with age. It happens. Alexei's range and arm strength will continue to diminish just like any other aging SS. Saladino should give the Sox more range at SS with a younger arm.

The question is will Saladino be able to hit well enough to stick? That's the gamble but then again, so is keeping an aging veteran at a position that relies heavily on range and arm strength.

I'm telling you, we need an upgrade at ss. Anybody out there?? An infield of Frazier, Lexi, Lawrie and MVP excites me as far as potential. An infield of Frazier, Offensive Black Hole/Defensive question mark, Lawrie and MVP is scary. I thought we wanted to contend. To keep Lexi it would have only taken 6-8 mill for one fricking year. I don't understand lest we sign Desmond.