Padres Sign Alexei Ramirez

Sockin

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
From all reports of those close to the team, Minnie's death severely affected Alexei in a way they saw previously with his brother in law. For some, death affects you differently. It's no reason to minimize someone with those stupid pet analogies just because you like a baseball team.

Then maybe he should have asked for some time off? It's very sorry to hear if the death really affected him, but it shouldn't justify him performing at a sub-par level for 6 months, especially given the salary he is earning.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:29 AM)
For what it's worth Alexei hit .277 with a .325 OBP and 8 homers in the second half. He had shown signs of life after a catastrophic start.

Even Hawk was calling it a salary drive. He was a bargain for a long time, but if they spend some money on a big bat, it would be hard to argue the decision to let him go.

QUOTE (ronkark @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:05 AM)
What I will miss about Alexei: Rifle arm, turning double play, stolen bases. Occasional clutch home run (more in his early years.) The Eaton fives.

What I won't miss about Alexei: Inability to draw a walk, zero plate discipline, baserunning blunder, the slow starts. And the Sox continues insistence in trying him in the 2 hole even though he doesn't take pitches, bunt, hit behind runners or do anything befitting a #2 hitter. His 10 million dollar salary. Better spent elsewhere.

Not worried about Tyler. No he won't be great. But he's a heady player. He can bunt, he can run. he can field. He'll be okay. But let's get that outfielder.

I, too, will take my chances with Saladino. I generally liked Alexei, but I bet that more of the "first half 2015 Alexei" is what the Padres will get.

I was tired of Ramirez's mental mistakes, mood swings, apathy, and low OBP. I suspect the Sox were, too.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:29 AM)
For what it's worth Alexei hit .277 with a .325 OBP and 8 homers in the second half. He had shown signs of life after a catastrophic start.

Yeah, but we kinda need those numbers throughout the whole year, not just half of it.

Alexei's inconsistency was maddening.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
no offense, but i will use this thread for this question

is everybody ok with saladino being the sox starting SS????

Yep. He doesn't offer much at the plate, but his glove makes up for it IMO. If this is the bridge to get to Anderson, I'm with it.