Ian Kennedy to the Royals

Kyyle23

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw, Dave Eisland was Kennedy's pitching coach with the Yankees.

The Royals are now officially all-in the next two years with the lost draft pick, albeit low first round.

Duffy probably moves to the pen with Collins.

Royals now looking at $140 million and $155 million payrolls the next two years...strikeout/flyball pitcher works well in that stadium.

Making basically the same as Alex Gordon, amazingly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
The Royals farm system had better pay off in the near future because they are going to lose a lot of their franchise soon, and this would be a horrible deal.

They decided that didn't matter when they gutted it to pick up Cueto and Zobrist without paying either of their salaries last July. I think any organization would be happy with a 3-4 year World Series contention window.

As far as depth, with Zimmer, Mondesi, Starling and Ashe Russell, it's about the equivalent of the Sox system...maybe a tad lower because of health issues concerning Zimmer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Fwiw, Dave Eisland was Kennedy's pitching coach with the Yankees.

The Royals are now officially all-in the next two years with the lost draft pick, albeit low first round.

Duffy probably moves to the pen with Collins.

Royals now looking at $140 million and $155 million payrolls the next two years...strikeout/flyball pitcher works well in that stadium.

Making basically the same as Alex Gordon, amazingly.

But the Royals saw attendance increase by 800, 000 last year. I am sure advance sales in 2016 will also increase. Winning a World Series always has a big hit on merchandise sales as well. So I am sure the Royals walked away from 15 with a huge profit.

According to Team Sports Marketing, you get significant financial and community goodwill benefits for five full seasons after winning a World Series.

Getting there two years in a row, probably closer to seven...especially in a market that went thirty years between playoff appearances and no competition from NBA or NHL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
According to Team Sports Marketing, you get significant financial and community goodwill benefits for five full seasons after winning a World Series.

Getting there two years in a row, probably closer to seven.

Are you actually trying to justify the length of this signing? It may help them in their two year window, but that contract will get ugly before the end of it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
This signing is further proof we need to hold onto our pitching depth and add a bat via free agency. Getting two legit starters out of Johnson, Fulmer, & Adams is key to our long-term success.

Yes, and hope they made the right call on Montas.

If hitters are basically getting 60-75% of what comparable pitchers are earning, it would be insane not to take advantage of the current window of opportunity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
Yes, and hope they made the right call on Montas.

If hitters are basically getting 60-75% of what comparable pitchers are earning, it would be insane not to take advantage of the current window of opportunity.

I agree with this. Outside of Davis & Heyward, I'm actually shocked at the market for position players. All of last season it was talked about how hard it was to find offense in the current baseball environment and once free agency hit teams went in the complete opposite direction. Good time to have cost-controlled pitching for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
Are you actually trying to justify the length of this signing? It may help them in their two year window, but that contract will get ugly before the end of it.

Nope, they want him to pitch well and leave after 2017 via the opt out.

If they guaranteed that much and there was no incentive to leave or earn even more, it wouldn't make much sense.

That said, they'll lose Volquez, Duffy and Davis after 2017 and Medlen/Hochevar after next season.

$70 million guarantee plus the #24 pick for Ian Kennedy? Wow. There were a lot of these so called experts who thought Kennedy should take the QO. The Royals must have owed Boras one.

Kennedy put up a 0.8 WAR last year. Danks put up a 1.8. Dan Jennings put up a 0.5.

Edited by Dick Allen

Unless the Royals can opt out after year 2, which it does not sound like, this is an absolutely horrible signing. It still would be pretty bad at 2 years/ $28 million guaranteed. Especially losing the #24 pick.

He's a #3 or #4 in the NL, on his better days.

I don't care what the market or revenues are doing to contracts, this is an atrocious waste and I'm glad KC is the culprit.

I don't think I would trade the #24 overall pick for Ian Kennedy straight up, unless he was making under $6 million per season for only 1-2 seasons. In that case you are still mortgaging the future and he could be finished any time. He is really that bad.

I can't wait to face him 2-5 times instead of Chen or Guthrie. Go Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Ventura

Volquez

Kennedy

Medlen

Young

Duffy

Jason Vargas (back at midseason from TJ)

Zimmer

The one thing they do have is some depth now...

Without a single top of the rotation starter. At best Kennedy is another #3 in the AL with the potential to be a total flop. I totally get their need to go for it and overpay in free agency to do so, but this is the wrong guy and wrong deal.