White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Fine. I'll leave.

At least my Jackson and Desmond predictions will stand the test of time. Dick Allen can find a new group of fans to whine about and leave me alone.

i know this is strange coming from me,

but cmon, lets all deal with each other the best we can. it is all fun, talking sports.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
it is how one will look at it. the fans has no choice but to make the best of it.

My reasoning to be hesitant to give up the pick (I know I gave it away about five posts above lol) is because Hahn paid about 5 million for it (the remaining money due to Shark), and turned down whatever low level prospects were available at the deadline. So I dont think most fans desperately want to keep the pick, it is just that we assume that Hahn will be hesitant to eat crow and surrender the pick.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
My reasoning to be hesitant to give up the pick (I know I gave it away about five posts above lol) is because Hahn paid about 5 million for it (the remaining money due to Shark), and turned down whatever low level prospects were available at the deadline. So I dont think most fans desperately want to keep the pick, it is just that we assume that Hahn will be hesitant to eat crow and surrender the pick.

But he could look at it this way. If the Sox sign Fowler and surrendered the pick, he essentially traded Shark for Fowler.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)

pld don't get me wrong, yesterday and before, i was all for not using any of the picks, i thought that sox could have found value in other non cost ways.... but lets say jackson and desmond, the rtn is too good to pass up. the rtn of some positive success for the sox org is what i would think a hefty price to pay, but hell yeah, pay it and loose the comp pick.

just my opinion.

however, we are talking about the sox FO and their history here.

An alternative idea could be to sign Jackson and Desmond, then trade Anderson for his outfield minor league equivalent. Something like Anderson to Milwaukee for Brett Phillips. I know Milwaukee has Arcia but they could always slide Anderson over to 2B. That said, I have no idea if the Brewers would be interested in such a deal, just using the Brewers and Phillips as an example.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Why is everyone so quick to want to trade Anderson? Lol

He is the one position player we have in the minors that looks promising.

It's not about being quick to trade Anderson, well, not with me. My thinking is that if the Sox were to sign Desmond, they would have two legit short stops in Desmond and Saladino with a shortage of OF depth. Trading Anderson for his OF equivalent would make sense for a team like the Sox in this scenerio. The only reason I would entertain the idea would be if the Sox signed Desmond to a 2-3 year contract.

Another example I would be open to trading Anderson would be for young team controlled outfielders like Ender Inciarte or Preston Tucker.

Trust me, I'm in no rush to trade Anderson but am open minded to trading him for the right outfielder to fill a position of need/depth.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
An alternative idea could be to sign Jackson and Desmond, then trade Anderson for his outfield minor league equivalent. Something like Anderson to Milwaukee for Brett Phillips. I know Milwaukee has Arcia but they could always slide Anderson over to 2B. That said, I have no idea if the Brewers would be interested in such a deal, just using the Brewers and Phillips as an example.

excellent .... thinking outside the box.

i would do that in a heartbeat .....

Here's my plan.

- Trade Avi and Tyler Danish for Carlos Gomez

- Sign Ian Desmond to a 3 year/$45 million deal

Lineup:

1. Adam Eaton (RF)

2. Carlos Gomez (CF)

3. Jose Abreu (1B)

4. Todd Frazier (3B)

5. Melky Cabrera (LF)

6. Ian Desmond (SS)

7. Adam LaRoche (DH)

8. Brett Lawrie (2B)

9. Alex Avila/Dioner Navarro ©

Thoughts? That lineup seems pretty well rounded from top to bottom IMO.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
It's not about being quick to trade Anderson, well, not with me. My thinking is that if the Sox were to sign Desmond, they would have two legit short stops in Desmond and Saladino with a shortage of OF depth. Trading Anderson for his OF equivalent would make sense for a team like the Sox in this scenerio. The only reason I would entertain the idea would be if the Sox signed Desmond to a 2-3 year contract.

Another example I would be open to trading Anderson would be for young team controlled outfielders like Ender Inciarte or Preston Tucker.

Trust me, I'm in no rush to trade Anderson but am open minded to trading him for the right outfielder to fill a position of need/depth.

if you don't mind, using known assets to help the team now.... to win to improve and to obtain other assets.

i would hate to loose him, but helping this team ...... now .... is more important for me.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Here's my plan.

Lineup:

1. Adam Eaton (RF)

2. Carlos Gomez (CF)

3. Jose Abreu (1B)

4. Todd Frazier (3B)

5. Melky Cabrera (LF)

6. Ian Desmond (SS)

7. Adam LaRoche (DH)

8. Brett Lawrie (2B)

I seriously doubt Houston would have interest in Avi. They have enough outfielders and DH's as it is to be honest. Plus, I think Houston is looking to trade an outfielder for another starting pitcher to help them this year so I doubt Danish would peak their interest either.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Here's my plan.

Lineup:

1. Adam Eaton (RF)

2. Carlos Gomez (CF)

3. Jose Abreu (1B)

4. Todd Frazier (3B)

5. Melky Cabrera (LF)

6. Ian Desmond (SS)

7. Adam LaRoche (DH)

8. Brett Lawrie (2B)

Yeah idk why Houston would want Garcia.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
If Cespedes on an open market is worth 3/75, a two year Cargo deal would have to be worth at the absolute very least 50 million. If you view the 13 million due to LaRoche as completely sunk it means the Sox would be acquiring Cargo for 2/24 (he is due 37). I would trade the rights to pay Tim Anderson for 25 million dollars, assuming that Hahn has budget constraints.

NO way Colorado takes on all $13 million of Laroche's contract in any trade. He's a salary dump, much more so than CarGo.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
if you don't mind, using known assets to help the team now.... to win to improve and to obtain other assets.

i would hate to loose him, but helping this team ...... now .... is more important for me.

It has to be the right player. I wouldn't use Anderson in a trade for players like CarGo, Ethier, Blackmon etc but I would use him to trade for a long term team controlled outfielder like the players I named. Even then, that's pretty much based on if the Sox not only signed Desmond but signed him to a multi-year contract. If Desmond was only for one season then the Sox keep Anderson. I still remain open to the idea of trading Anderson for his OF minor league equivalent though.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
All true. But once they backed themselves into this corner, committed to a plan, you finish it. Too bad. All got crazy for the so-called Big Three. Fine. Take a pass. Don't be insane. But finish the job elsewhere. To me, this means Jackson/Desmond. Yep, lose a pick. One stinkin pick (out of the three important picks). Chances of getting value out of the J/D combo are a lot better than value from that second pick. Besides, finish this year's plan since we've already committed!

Its all about asset management, . If RH feels that a couple of years of Fowler, Desmond or Jackson is better than the pick you do it. Picks are more than likely not to produce an mlb player so if the contract is a good one they will do it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
What happens first, Desmond signs or Caulfield returns?

Hmmmmm, I have no idea but I'll guess Desmond signs. I base this on how the Sox seem interested and that Desmond has seemingly no interest from any team but the Sox.

Are the Sox still rumored to be interested in Desmond?