White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
When you have to use 1/2 season stats to justify major investments, it kind of makes my point. Not to mention Desmond's defense is less than exemplary. I wouldn't have gotten either one of them. And a bad 2nd half wasn't the only reason I didn't want Frazier (bad splits; Sox terrible historical track record with NL sluggers; we had 3B hole filled adequately; Frazier cost 3 good ML ready prospects).

Not getting one of the big 3 OF is a big miss. If we take Hahn at his word that he wants to build this org. so it consistently wins, you have to use the FA market, esp. one who wouldn't cost a draft pick. And when KW puts forth this artificial 3 year window, which is now year 2, when OF was as big a problem as 3B (bigger defensively last year), and yet they let these players pass, it speaks loudly of lack of coherent front office strategy.

Desmond has the last 3 1/2 years to justify a major investment in him. Keep skewing facts to fit your narrative though.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
When you have to use 1/2 season stats to justify major investments, it kind of makes my point. Not to mention Desmond's defense is less than exemplary. I wouldn't have gotten either one of them. And a bad 2nd half wasn't the only reason I didn't want Frazier (bad splits; Sox terrible historical track record with NL sluggers; we had 3B hole filled adequately; Frazier cost 3 good ML ready prospects).

Not getting one of the big 3 OF is a big miss. If we take Hahn at his word that he wants to build this org. so it consistently wins, you have to use the FA market, esp. one who wouldn't cost a draft pick. And when KW puts forth this artificial 3 year window, which is now year 2, when OF was as big a problem as 3B (bigger defensively last year), and yet they let these players pass, it speaks loudly of lack of coherent front office strategy.

I'm not just using half a season to justify Desmond. Here are his last 8 half seasons:

2015 2nd half: 1.9 WAR

2015 1st half: -0.1 WAR

2014 2nd half: 1.9 WAR

2014 1st half: 2.0 WAR

2013 2nd half: 1.6 WAR

2013 1st half: 3.1 WAR

2012 2nd half: 1.9 WAR

2012 1st half: 2.8 WAR

Seems to me there's one clear outlier, and it's not the half season I wrote about in my last post.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
http://showmestatesportsreport.sportsblog....n-desmond-.html

http://www.draysbay.com/2016/1/25/10821340...ors-ian-desmond

Some pretty interesting things said about Desmond in the Rays' link and there's a few videos as well.

The huge advantage for the White Sox is that same Hardball Times article has a pick in the 25-30 range at somewhere around $11-13 million....or about half the cost to the Rays, who are obviously even more financially-limited than the Sox.

Losing a high-first round draft pick is just not something the Rays are in the business of doing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
The huge advantage for the White Sox is that same Hardball Times article has a pick in the 25-30 range at somewhere around $11-13 million....or about half the cost to the Rays, who are obviously even more financially-limited than the Sox.

Losing a high-first round draft pick is just not something the Rays are in the business of doing.

Good point. There really isn't much of a market for Desmond. I know the Sox need an outfield upgrade but maybe taking a chance on signing Desmond to play SS ain't such a bad thing. The lineup could use his combo of speed and power potential. The Sox could still search for a left handed team controlled OF bat through a trade somehow.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 07:08 AM)
Fwiw, the premise of the Rays' addition would be for him to split time with Brad Miller at SS and play some left field and DH as well.

Right now, there's little consensus how well he would adjust to that role, ala Zobrist and now Logan Forsythe.

He could DH vs LHP for us too with Saladino at SS.

I'm so torn. It's supposedly a deep draft this season (no, they don't say that every year) but he's there for the taking. I know a lot of people are against one year deals for QO guys but next offseason may be the last one where we can recoup it (CBA expires this year but doubt the handling of compensation changes next offseason; probably goes into effect 17-18 offseason).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm surprised and disappointed at the absolute lack of rumors tying the Sox to any of the remaining players on the market by national writers.

Yeah, it's frustrating, especially after the (too long) period of time the Sox were rumored to be in on Cespedes. I thought we'd start hearing about Desmond, Fowler, and Jackson rumors, but there's been nothing.

Maybe something will happen without much warning...kind of like the Frazier deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
With SoxFest right around the corner, I would expect something to happen soon or not at all.

It's possible they could be planning it as a SoxFest treat. They could have it all worked out to trade for CarGo and they have agreed to wait a few days to pull the trigger. Just because it doesn't happen before SoxFest, doesn't mean it won't happen. The closer it gets to spring training, some of these players like Desmond might be more receptive to a fair offer. Agents know the Sox missed out on the big 3 and will try to see if the Sox will get desperate. Stay cool RH.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
It's possible they could be planning it as a SoxFest treat. They could have it all worked out to trade for CarGo and they have agreed to wait a few days to pull the trigger. Just because it doesn't happen before SoxFest, doesn't mean it won't happen. The closer it gets to spring training, some of these players like Desmond might be more receptive to a fair offer. Agents know the Sox missed out on the big 3 and will try to see if the Sox will get desperate. Stay cool RH.

I feel like that would be foolish. There are many risks in doing that.

The logic of timing a signing to coincide with Soxfest or not seems at best short-sighted.

Unless you believe Upton would have come to Chicago for the same deal which most observers feel is foolish for Detroit, you're arguing Davis, Cespedes and Gordon could/should have signed here instead, which doesn't pass the logic test upon reflection.

Hahn finds himself in a rather advantageous position now, having neglected to throw $30 million at Cespedes (or whatever) or go 7 years on Upton. He can improve the team just as much (or more) for cheaper potentially with some combo of Desmond, Fowler, Jackson, or some other OF in a trade. Desmond and Fowler (and perhaps Kendrick) will seemingly prove to be the biggest bargains available due to their QO. There is virtually no teams looking for a shortstop, much less looking to give up an unprotected pick for one. There are more suitors for Fowler, but Orioles and Angels aren't going to want to give up their only 1st rounder for him. It probably drives up Jackson's market.

I really think Desmond just falls into our lap without anyone else seriously looking at him, and for way less than was predicted before the season.

How is going from 3.2 to 3.7 to 3.8 war over 2012-2014 and then having an outlier/anomaly in 2015 the sign or indicator of a consistent decline?

I could see if he went 3.8 to 3.7 to 3.2 to 2. Then you'd have a good case.

Especially if he wasn't 30 years old, but was 33-34.

I guess the pride of passing up $107 million for 7 years and playing his entire career for one team is getting in the way of reasonable contract expectations.

Maybe $45 million and 3 years seemed possible a month ago, but now you'd have to guess he's looking at maximizing his salary for 2016 and going back on the market next year.

That could still be a decent deal for the White Sox...if the numbers for one year don't get totally insane. He doesn't have the extreme market demand working in his favor that benefited Cespedes with the Mets.

I'd sign Desmond to a one year deal with an option for a second. He doesn't have a ton of interest and it's getting close to spring training. He will sign some kind of prove it deal. Doesn't mean it's going to be a one year $4 million deal but I could see it anywhere from 8-13 million on one year. That would give Anderson another year to develop and not rush things. Desmond's potential bat could give us a formidable hitting infield. That could be big time power potential infield. Abreu, Frazier, Desmond and Lawrie.

Edited by SouthSideSale