White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
If they are committed to giving up the draft pick, I'd rather have Desmond than Fowler. Desmond is more likely to be a 3 WAR SS than Fowler is to be a 2-3 WAR OF in my opinion. Sox could still add a different OF via trade as well. They would have a pretty powerful infield with Frazier/Desmond/Lawrie/Abreu

That infield is pretty insane power wise.

I do agree that I like Desmond more than Fowler. He's had 1 bad half the last 4 years. I trust him more than Fowler

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
If they are committed to giving up the draft pick, I'd rather have Desmond than Fowler. Desmond is more likely to be a 3 WAR SS than Fowler is to be a 2-3 WAR OF in my opinion. Sox could still add a different OF via trade as well. They would have a pretty powerful infield with Frazier/Desmond/Lawrie/Abreu

Salidino is a projected 2 WAR player.

Avi is projected at 0.

Even if Desmond has a 3 WAR 2016, that's a net gain of 1.

If Fowler has even a 2 WAR year, that's twice the improvement than Desmond offers in this projection.

Just food for thought, gang.

Edit: Give me Desmond and Austin Jackson... Then you're talking.

Edited by hi8is

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 1m1 minute ago

Makes sense chisox are weighing desmond. With Frazier plus return to norms for holdover hitters they have look of contender

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 11s12 seconds ago

White sox like current ss favorite Tyler saladino but he's a defensive whiz with versatility to play multiple positions

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Salidino is a projected 2 WAR player.

Avi is projected at 0.

Even if Desmond has a 3 WAR 2016, that's a net gain of 1.

If Fowler has even a 2 WAR year, that's twice the improvement than Desmond offers in this projection.

Just food for thought, gang.

Edit: Give me Desmond and Austin Jackson... Then you're talking.

I don't think Saladino would be that high but I know that the projections have said that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I don't think Saladino would be that high but I know that the projections have said that.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 19s19 seconds ago

White sox like current ss favorite Tyler saladino but he's a defensive whiz with versatility to play multiple positions

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 19s19 seconds ago

I really do like this. Saladino coming in as a defensive replacement and spot starting is his ideal role imo.

Sanchez replacing Lawrie. Shuck replacing Avi in RF. Saladino replacing Melky in LF. Not bad.

That's if we sign Desmond and/or don't sign/trade an OF.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
I really do like this. Saladino coming in as a defensive replacement and spot starting is his ideal role imo.

Sanchez replacing Lawrie. Shuck replacing Avi in RF. Saladino replacing Melky in LF. Not bad.

That's if we sign Desmond and/or don't sign/trade an OF.

I also love the idea of Saladino as a PR. Saladino would get plenty of at bats backing up Frazier/Lawrie/Desmond. Would give the others a chance to DH vs LHP as well.

I would love a Desmond signing. Infield would have serious power and then you could try trading for an OF piece to platoon with Avi. Couple of random thoughts if this were to happen:

1.) Do you sign him for 2-3 years or offer him a 1 year prove it deal where you recoup the comp pick after next season?

2.) If Saladino is moved to utility, that pretty much makes Carlos Sanchez expendable, right? I think Saladino can cover anywhere in the infield better than Sanchez

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
.674 OPS last year, right?

Yep, clearly had a bad year last season. Hope is it was an outlier and he bounces back to the form that made him the best SS in baseball. I don't expect him to be a near 5 WAR player, but I'm confident he can be a 2.5

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I would love a Desmond signing. Infield would have serious power and then you could try trading for an OF piece to platoon with Avi. Couple of random thoughts if this were to happen:

1.) Do you sign him for 2-3 years or offer him a 1 year prove it deal where you recoup the comp pick after next season?

2.) If Saladino is moved to utility, that pretty much makes Carlos Sanchez expendable, right? I think Saladino can cover anywhere in the infield better than Sanchez

Good point about Sanchez, he pretty much has no role in a Desmond signing. Seems pointless to send him back to AAA too as he has nothing left to prove there.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)

Depth has been sorely lacking on this team. Having two players with elite defense and speed on the bench isn't something we should just trade for...trades sake.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Depth has been sorely lacking on this team. Having two players with elite defense and speed on the bench isn't something we should just trade for...trades sake.

I dont really think you need a guy with elite defense at 1 position though is what Im saying. Saladino plays better defense and has better speed, bat is probably a little better too.

Can't imagine the Sox would be interested in much more than a 1 year deal + club option with Anderson waiting in the wings, unless they plan to use him in the IF. I'd love to see Desmond, but still think they should add an OF in addition.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
If we signed Desmond I'd rather try him in the outfield, platoon Avi/Adam and let Tyler stay at short. I know that's not going to happen but I'd prefer that route.

...which shows you how wrong Heyman is when he says that a SS upgrade is a better fit than another OF.

Which is why we should sign a real OF instead.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
Can't imagine the Sox would be interested in much more than a 1 year deal + club option with Anderson waiting in the wings, unless they plan to use him in the IF. I'd love to see Desmond, but still think they should add an OF in addition.

Always felt that if they had the money and desire to give up a draft pick, my dream scenario was Desmond and Jennings. I wonder if Saladino and Petricka gets you Jennings, as Tampa has been known to be looking for some more SS help.