White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
I'd sign Desmond to a one year deal with an option for a second. He doesn't have a ton of interest and it's getting close to spring training. He will sign some kind of prove it deal. Doesn't mean it's going to be a one year $4 million deal but I could see it anywhere from 8-13 million on one year. That would give Anderson another year to develop and not rush things. Desmond's potential bat could give us a formidable hitting infield. That could be big time power potential infield. Abreu, Frazier, Desmond and Lawrie.

An option year would make losing the pick a little more worth while and buys Anderson up to an additional year of development if needed. If Anderson shows he's ready by the end of the '16 season then the Sox can exercise Desmond's option for '17 and trade him next winter or keep him and convert Anderson to CF.

I'm to the point now where if the Sox cannot find the right fit for an outfielder then go ahead and sign Desmond.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will just state that there's no way that Desmond will end up under $10 million IMO...

Would definitely put him in the $13-17 million range.

From 2012-2014, he was a consistent 3.5 war guy, which is about where everyone assumed Cespedes would be THIS season.

3.5 X $7-8 million value for WAR on FA market=$26.25 million.

Even if you go with last year's terribly disappointing year, you're talking $14 million and change valuing him at a 2 WAR.

Plus he plays a premium position in SS. And is only 30.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:51 PM)
Will just state that there's no way that Desmond will end up under $10 million IMO...

From 2012-2014, he was a consistent 3.5 war guy, which is about where everyone assumed Cespedes would be THIS season.

Even if you go with last year's terribly disappointing year, you're talking $14 million and change valuing him at a 2 WAR.

Ya I'm not sure what he's going to get. I know it'll be way more than Alexei. I'm to the point where I want Desmond for his potential over Saladino but I can accept if they don't sign him. As of now, I'm hoping for Desmond and Jackson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)

Desmond does play a premium position but there's less than a handful of teams in need of a SS, hes coming off his worst season, has been declining on offense and defense for 3 straight years and he has a comp pick attached to him. He won't get anywhere near 17M. Imo, 12-14M is more like it.

Edit: to be fair. Desmond did have a pretty decent second half in '15 so he does have that going for him.

Edited by BlackSox13

Given that some of the best remaining options require draft pick compensation, has there been any thought that perhaps the best remaining course of action is to do nothing? Yes, you're banking on Garcia, La Roche and others rebounding from down/bad seasons, but you're not giving questionable deals and losing picks while retaining payroll flexibility. You're also exhausting Garcia - he either makes it or not.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
That would be fair - Garcia has exhausted me, and my patience.

:lolhitting

Ya, Avi's hitting and fielding isn't very easy on the eyes. Quite painful really. Like whiping with sand paper on the loo.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
Given that some of the best remaining options require draft pick compensation, has there been any thought that perhaps the best remaining course of action is to do nothing? Yes, you're banking on Garcia, La Roche and others rebounding from down/bad seasons, but you're not giving questionable deals and losing picks while retaining payroll flexibility. You're also exhausting Garcia - he either makes it or not.

Depends on your downside prediction in terms of the consequences of being knocked out in the first 2-3 months and having yet another "development/al" year...where all the attention will be vacuumed up by the Northside.

And also facing a major decline in revenue/attendance going into 2017.

Would you bet your house today that the team as currently constructed will be within 3-5 games of first place nearing the end of July? Or at least 3-5 games of the 1st/2nd wild card spots?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 04:09 AM)

Problem is there are no back up options for Avi and LaRoche if they fail. If the Sox aren't going to spend a lot over the next month, at least bring in Raburn to platoon vs LHP. As it stands now, there is no one to help out LaRoche. Hahn better not give us the BS line that LaRoche will bounce back against southpaws.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 05:15 AM)
But we know if he was on the White Sox...somehow...he would just end up with a 650-675 OPS, be exposed defensively and hit about .050-.075 cumulatively against the Tigers and Royals.

Still better than LaRoche vs LHP

Well, that much is true...the problem is the White Sox never seem to be able to face reality and force guys like Dunn and now LaRoche into straight platoon situations until it's way too late.

Otoh, for a long time, it seemed Melky would never get his average above .100 against LHP and he finally sputtered to life, but seeing as LaRoche only has one more season left (and probably less than that), it would behoove the White Sox to start looking at some realistic alternatives.

Leury, Olt/Davidson (depending on how confident they are in Sanchez covering 3B) or Fields/Jerry Sands...doubtful they would go with 3 catchers.

Last year, we started with Beckham and Bonifacio on the infield.

However you look at it, that's five pretty uninspiring possibilities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
Leury, Olt/Davidson (depending on how confident they are in Sanchez covering 3B) or Fields/Jerry Sands...doubtful they would go with 3 catchers.

Last year, we started with Beckham and Bonifacio on the infield.

However you look at it, that's five pretty uninspiring possibilities.

Sanchez doesn't have to cover third. Our backup 3B plays 2B.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
Sanchez doesn't have to cover third. Our backup 3B plays.2B.

That's fine...so then we have five outfielders or three catchers?

What about pinch-running?

Sanchez is pretty slow. I suppose they can use Shuck, but it would be nice if we had a player off the bench capable of getting into scoring position by himself in the late innings. That's not Fields or Sands, either.

And Carlos is probably going to be similar to Beckham at SS. Saladino will have to play nearly everyday like Alexei.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 06:11 AM)
That's fine...so then we have five outfielders or three catchers?

What about pinch-running?

Sanchez is pretty slow. I suppose they can use Shuck, but it would be nice if we had a player off the bench capable of getting into scoring position by himself in the late innings. That's not Fields or Sands, either.

And Carlos is probably going to be similar to Beckham at SS. Saladino will have to play nearly everyday like Alexei.

I see them breaking camp with an 8th reliever since they open the season with 8 games in a row but yeah they'll need another bench guy at some point. Probably make a roster move the first day off of the season.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
An option year would make losing the pick a little more worth while and buys Anderson up to an additional year of development if needed. If Anderson shows he's ready by the end of the '16 season then the Sox can exercise Desmond's option for '17 and trade him next winter or keep him and convert Anderson to CF.

I'm to the point now where if the Sox cannot find the right fit for an outfielder then go ahead and sign Desmond.

I know I put too much emphasis on high draft picks, but Sox would not be giving up that pick for Desmond; they would be giving up that pick for the difference between Saladino and Desmond. I hope they keep the pick.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
I know I put too much emphasis on high draft picks, but Sox would not be giving up that pick for Desmond; they would be giving up that pick for the difference between Saladino and Desmond. I hope they keep the pick.

Depends on how confident you are Saladino can put up a 2 war and how likely Desmond at age 30 is to be a 2 like last year as opposed to the 3.5-3.6 he averaged from 2012-2014.

On the face of it, it's easier to find the 4ish war upgrade from replacing Avi and platooning him or someone else with LaRoche.

That said, my confidence in Saladino lasting the season as the starting SS isn't high, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)

Not to mention that anderson is close to getting his shot. I think the sox will give him this year at AAA unless he is really tearing it up. He will get his time with the sox in eithrr 2017 or 2018. What do oyu do with Desmond once Anderson gets his shot? They may be forced to add Desmond if they grt another bat but that will ne the last option, I think.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...very-incomplete

Cbssports writer implores Sox to sign Fowler/Jackson and Desmond.

Seems to prefer Garcia/Cabrera platoon in rf to Garcia/LaRoche dh platoon. DH Navarro or Saladino against lefties?

Last paragraph seems to be pretty spot on, albeit tough.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...very-incomplete

Cbssports writer implores Sox to sign Fowler/Jackson and Desmond.

Seems to prefer Garcia/Cabrera platoon in rf to Garcia/LaRoche dh platoon. DH Navarro or Saladino against lefties?

Last paragraph seems to be pretty spot on, albeit tough.

So they are a last place team, but if they sign Fowler or Desmond they are a contender?

LMAO.