White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
So what would be different on a 1 year deal?

Can we afford to continue to compromise defense in the hopes for a bigger bat?

What about Anderson?

Is it worth $12-14M?

I look at all these things and think, no.

The point of signing him would be something like 2/30 with a team option with an opt out after the 1st year. Everyone is safe there and if Desmond gets back to being Desmond you either get a year of an elite SS for cheap and then the draft pick comes back, or if he doesn't revert it's not a huge commitment.

Desmond could even be used as the Zobrist type player his agent is marketing him as and see something like 60 games in RF and 90 in the middle infield. That way you get a guy that can play RF and put avi at DH against lefties and Saladino still gets to play nearly half the season.

Edited by Knackattack

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
So what would be different on a 1 year deal?

Can we afford to continue to compromise defense in the hopes for a bigger bat?

What about Anderson?

Is it worth $12-14M?

I look at all these things and think, no.

Can we afford -1 to +1 war out of three positions in the line-up and still compete?

You realize it's not at all unlikely Anderson puts up 25-35 errors his rookie season when we are most setup to be competitive?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
The point of signing him would be something like 2/30 with a team option with an opt out after the 1st year. Everyone is safe there and if Desmond gets back to being Desmond you either get a year of an elite SS for cheap and then the draft pick comes back, or if he doesn't revert it's not a huge commitment.

So $15M AAV isn't a huge comittment if he repeats. I disagree. But that's fine - we can do that amicably. There's good power potential now at 1B, 2B, 3B.

I'd rather see that $15M go toward the salaries of a Jackson/Latos, roll with Saladino at SS, and wait for Anderson at SS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Can we afford -1 to +1 war out of three positions in the line-up and still compete?

You realize it's not at all unlikely Anderson puts up 25-35 errors his rookie season when we are most setup to be competitive?

Sure. I also realize there's a big difference between $500K and $15M.

$14.5M could go toward better options at those other 3 positions you mention.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
So $15M AAV isn't a huge comittment if he repeats. I disagree. But that's fine - we can do that amicably. There's good power potential now at 1B, 2B, 3B.

I'd rather see that $15M go toward the salaries of a Jackson/Latos, roll with Saladino at SS, and wait for Anderson at SS.

I just have a hard time seeing Desmond not hitting like he did in 2014 when he hit 24 HR and was a 4war player.

The one thing with Desmond......he WOULD be worth it if his need to be a MLB starting SS is so great that he would accept a deal with multiple club options. That would be a team-friendly situation then as we could give him raises based on performance or dump him as needed.

Which granted isnt likely to happen but it is a thought

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I just have a hard time seeing Desmond not hitting like he did in 2014 when he hit 24 HR and was a 4war player.

And everything I'm looking at projects him being much closer to 2015:

.236 .294 .390

.299 wOBA

87 wRC+

1.5 fWAR

Not worth the $ to me.

:huh

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)

That's the same exact thinking that led from better players to Cabrera and LaRoche...

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
And everything I'm looking at projects him being much closer to 2015:

.236 .294 .390

.299 wOBA

87 wRC+

1.5 fWAR

Not worth the $ to me.

:huh

Which is why scouts use their eyes and GM's use their intuition/gut/instincts.

Going off projections, Kendrys Morales was done in 2014.

It's also the same reason not to pick stocks or mutual funds based largely on previous year performance without considering context.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That's the same exact thinking that led from better players to Cabrera and LaRoche...

What? Where am I advocating signing veterans on the wrong side of 30 to 8 figure deals?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
It's also the same reason not to pick stocks or mutual funds based largely on previous year performance without considering context.
Context is the point I've been trying to make here the whole time. Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
That's freaking hilarious. Doubt that bum has an ERA below 4.

Why is that hilarious and why doubt he wont have an Era below 4. Towards the end of the season it was figured out he was tipping his pitches. If that's fixed along with one of teams better defenses in the league and being in a park that isn't homer happy he could be a below 4 era.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
I will be shocked if he can't put up a sub 4 in that park

Count me shocked as well.

10 reasons:

10 -- Great pitcher's park, especially for flyball pitchers;

9 -- great defense;

8 -- GREAT battery mate.

REASONS 1-7 ... Pitching all year in the National League. Yeah, All year. In the National League.

I'd put the over/under for his Giants ERA at 3.20. Heck, John Danks is probably sub 3.50 in that park in the NL (and I wouldn't be surprised if Danks is a deadline acquisition this year for some NL team if the Sox are out of it).

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:49 AM)

10 reasons:

9 -- great defense;

8 -- GREAT battery mate.

REASONS 1-7 ... Pitching all year in the National League. Yeah, All year. In the National League.

I'd put the over/under for his Giants ERA at 3.20. Heck, John Danks is probably sub 3.50 in that park in the NL (and I wouldn't be surprised if Danks is a deadline acquisition this year for some NL team if the Sox are out of it).

speaking of pitching, do you guess that the sox will find that final piece in the OF and call it a day, or do you imagine the sox may want to pick up a sp of of sorts??

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)

10 reasons:

9 -- great defense;

8 -- GREAT battery mate.

Pagan has really been declining recently, though.

The biggest question is the health of Span, Pagan and Pence...if they're 100% healthy, that's a very very solid defense.

Jon morosi on mlb network said he doesn't see the Sox getting ethier. Said he was the Dodgers best hitter after all star break and they may want to see him going forward. Tho that seems to be his opinion. Also said sox are more heavily involved in the free agent market with fowler and Desmond.