White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
I will say this- I don't think a front office would ever even consider looking at WAR numbers when putting together a team.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't understand the hate for WAR. It's the best way to compare across leagues and positions. A 3.00 ERA in the NL while pitching half your games in San Diego is a lot different than a 3.00 ERA in the AL while pitching half your games in Arlington. An .800 OPS for a 1B is far less valuable than an .800 OPS for a SS or a C. WAR just makes these comparisons quick and easy, and while it has its faults so does every stat, and I find its faults to be far less severe than the faults of most traditional stats.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
If we didn't use WAR would we know just how useless Avi was?

The other metrics just reinforce what the WAR says about him. His WAR is just a nice little convenient way of packing all the suckage into one number.

Ian Desmond would be a nice change from Alexei. Essentially would we save 7 runs by adding him. Plus we would save 1 base while Alexei was -10. People keep repeating the error numbers like that amounted to something. They actually didnt amount to much if anything. He's zeroed out across the board in all defensive categories except for double plays were he is plus 1.

Edited by Baron

All I'm saying is FOs employ tons of people to evaluate players across all metrics, including intangibles. They aren't gonna go the lazy route to evaluate where they spend millions of dollars. We're talking about millions of dollars here, not fanboy fantasy leagues.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
All I'm saying is FOs employ tons of people to evaluate players across all metrics, including intangibles. They aren't gonna go the lazy route to evaluate where they spend millions of dollars. We're talking about millions of dollars here, not fanboy fantasy leagues.

You said "I don't think a front office would ever even consider looking at WAR numbers when putting together a team." That's a lot different from ONLY using WAR numbers when putting together a team. I don't think anyone thinks FO only look at WAR.

QUOTE (yoyozuna @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Any chance this is put out there to try and pressure another team Hahn might be in trade talks with?

Highly doubt it. Merkin confirmed interest in both him & Fowler yesterday, plus raBBit has reported this a few times as well.

I'm not a big fan but there's no denying that he improves this team. I can't see him going for a 1 year deal, so it may make sense to do 2-3 years & move him to the OF when Anderson is ready.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Ideally the Sox would sign Desmond and trade for Ethier. Dunno bout that latter part though, seems pretty unlikely.

That's a lot of money...

Signing Desmond & trading for Desmond Jennings or signing Jackson would make more sense, IMO.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
Herman reporting that the Sox are "Seriously considered making a big run at Ian Desmond". Said he thinks he's a great fit & talks like it will be more than 1 year.

The White Sox don't operate this way. Hahn even said they like to keep the competition in the dark. I think this is a plant to try to get Fowler to move.

Or a plant by Desmond camp to try to drum up business.

Edited by Dick Allen

Do they really though? All of Hahn's recent moves we've known pretty well in advance they had interest. Samardjiza days in advance. Frazier interest for months. Lawrie was telegraphed like a glove. Latos was only "surprise"

Peavy to Boston, etc etc

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
Do they really though? All of Hahn's recent moves we've known pretty well in advance they had interest. Samardjiza days in advance. Frazier interest for months. Lawrie was telegraphed like a glove. Latos was only "surprise"

Peavy to Boston, etc etc

Those were after the fact. It wasn't seriously thinking about making a big run type of stuff. Melky and Robertson were surprises. P

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
You said "I don't think a front office would ever even consider looking at WAR numbers when putting together a team." That's a lot different from ONLY using WAR numbers when putting together a team. I don't think anyone thinks FO only look at WAR.

I see your point but I have to disagree. I don't see how WAR helps a front office evaluate players. I like WAR for fans, I really do, but I don't see why a FO would need to organize players in such a way.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
Herman reporting that the Sox are "Seriously considered making a big run at Ian Desmond". Said he thinks he's a great fit & talks like it will be more than 1 year.

That just seems crazy to go long term on a guy when they theoretically have Anderson waiting in the wings. Plus, IDK if like the idea of signing Desmond long term when his stats have progressively gotten worse over the last three years. This has to be Desmond's camp or the Sox trying to play the market.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
I bet Dan is just confirming that Heyman tweeted.

Well he is confirming they are talking. That's fairly big news. So maybe this will get done before players start showing up to spring training.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Dan Hayes just confirmed.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/697928034154782721

The Sox want this out there. What that means, you can make your own interpretation.

Correct. Though, it is just after soxfest. They may have decided to throw Danny some bones this year. Reinsdorf does own part of CSN.