Don Cooper At It Again?...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
If Cooper went public, on radio, TV, social media, etc.. and said.. "I LOVE Fords.. I think Chevy's SUCK!" and people were upset about that.. I would say totally . that would be out of line..

However in one of these FB exchanges, Cooper said, roughly.. "if you are a fan that is unhappy and complaining and negative, we don't want you as a fan anyway"

Now this was addressed to anyone who complained about the Sox.. whether they be a season ticket holder, a past season ticket holder, or a possible potential season ticket holder…

I'm not sitting around frustrated and fuming about this. trust me.. but it sure piques my curiosity about how things are done behind closed doors at 35th and Shields

In a private facebook message.

In a private conversation initiated by a fan.

From something we don't even really know that actually happened.

People are offended. And while saying you aren't offended, you sure keep presenting the case for being offended.

To me this is the equal of people getting fooled by a photoshopped meme picture on facebook.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
Cooper is Cooper.

It's not going to keep anyone from attending a Sox game, except for those who weren't inclined to go in the first place and were deliberately looking for something to faux rage against.

Non-issue. Moving on....

so true. can't argue that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
Cooper is Cooper.

It's not going to keep anyone from attending a Sox game, except for those who weren't inclined to go in the first place and were deliberately looking for something to faux rage against.

Non-issue. Moving on....

For the record, and for those willing to spout an opinion (funny how people have opinions about everything, even "non-issues") without knowing what really happened with all of this…

the Sox got wind of all the Cooper FB stuff and told him to shut it down.. if it was a non issue and inconsequential, why did they intervene?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
For the record, and for those willing to spout an opinion (funny how people have opinions about everything, even "non-issues") without knowing what really happened with all of this…

the Sox got wind of all the Cooper FB stuff and told him to shut it down.. if it was a non issue and inconsequential, why did they intervene?

You're literally the only poster on this board who cares about this, that should be a sign of how much of a non-issue it is.

The link that was posted the other day is still active.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
You're literally the only poster on this board who cares about this, that should be a sign of how much of a non-issue it is.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go complain about the $10,000 I never have gotten for sharing that powerball ticket picture.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go complain about the $10,000 I never have gotten for sharing that powerball ticket picture.

Let me know how that works out. I have a potential lawsuit against Bill Gates too

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)

congrats on being that rare human being that never questions anything or has an issue with anyone at anytime…kudos to you..

must be all that hand holding and Kumbaya singing. I'll have to try that sometime...

Captain, there's no Kumbaya singing.

Wrong website.

That said, the natives are growing testy, and rightfully so. It's not about Don Cooper, though.

If he said "f--k you!" to every fan he came across, it would matter not at all (unless they were kids) as long as the pitching staff led the world in war, whip and fip.

Conversely, if he spent every waking moment engaged in Sox charities work and won the Nobel Peace Prize, it also wouldn't matter to fans if the pitching staff woefully underperformed and we were twenty games under .500. Unless they have a best MLB charities competition that directly impacts our won loss record, you're wasting your energy.

You would be better off sending Cooper a copy of Andrew Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 01:43 AM)
congrats on being that rare human being that never questions anything or has an issue with anyone at anytime…kudos to you..

must be all that hand holding and Kumbaya singing. I'll have to try that sometime...

Maybe I will jump on the outrage train. I hear sometimes you get free stuff.

Oh, you really know what happened with all of this? My bad, JR. Didn't know that I was dealing with Sox brass in the know

Why don't you post your irrefutable proof of Don Coopers (supposed to be private) interactions?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
Oh, you really know what happened with all of this? My bad, JR. Didn't know that I was dealing with Sox brass in the know

Why don't you post your irrefutable proof of Don Coopers (supposed to be private) interactions?

Because I'm not obligated to provide information that is easily attainable online.. or prove anything to anyone.. Go to the Sox Pride and Passion FB group and the Donny Cooper FB page and do the research yourself, if you are so inclined.. My guess is that you'll figure out a way to poke holes in it either way.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Because I'm not obligated to provide information that is easily attainable online.. or prove anything to anyone.. Go to the Sox Pride and Passion FB group and the Donny Cooper FB page and do the research yourself, if you are so inclined.. My guess is that you'll figure out a way to poke holes in it either way.

So you expect people to take you at your word?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:39 AM)
That said, the natives are growing testy, and rightfully so. It's not about Don Cooper, though.

If he said "f--k you!" to every fan he came across, it would matter not at all (unless they were kids) as long as the pitching staff led the world in war, whip and fip.

One of the things Cooper said in one of his recent online rants was, (not an exact quote)…"if you are going to be a negative or complaining fan, we don't want you as a fan".. If you don't think this could be damaging in some respect in the Sox attempts to regain some relevancy in this town, then I basically think you are choosing not to look at it realistically

This was directed at both season ticket holders, past season ticket holders, or possibly potential season ticket holders.. Basically saying. "if you don't agree with what we do f--k you"

It's not what Cooper says or does that is the issue, IMHO.. it's that it raises the question of whether this reflects the organization as a whole's attitude toward the Sox fan.. People are going to go to games, or not go to games despite what Cooper says, I agree with that..

It's not a issue that is at the forefront of what the Sox are faced with approaching a new season, but I think its noteworthy in that this happens again and again.. a high ranking member of the Sox organization disparaging the paying customer..

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)

So is it the Don Cooper baseball page that hasn't had a post in 4 years, or the Don Cooper athlete page that has zero posts?

I mean, this dastardly deed was so heinous that you and lip saved it to your computers, so you can't post it here? Strange. Even more strange that you were asked to provide it on WSI and wouldn't do it there either

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
No dude.. Do the research yourself and look it up..

That's just it, I don't see it being an issue worth looking into or making a stink over. My point is that you want to discuss the issue without providing the info needed to have a proper discussion. To be honest, you're coming across as just spamming SoxTalk to get members to join the Facebook group where Cooper supposedly had these exchanges with some fans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Maybe I will jump on the outrage train. I hear sometimes you get free stuff.

I guess I will never really understand this kind of attitude from you, and others like you.. That if anyone expresses any negative or questioning tone toward the Sox organization, they are immediately labeled as outraged lunatics and disgruntled a-holes who are never happy with anything…

That's really not fair.. or accurate. You can't blow off every negative or critical comment as illogical or irrational.. This is an organization that is in a pretty deep funk, fighting for their lives to stay relevant in this town. It's been exposed in a lot of ways.. a big market team with a pretty mediocre track record over the last decade..and at or near the bottom in terms of attendance or TV viewership..

I guess also maybe in your ideal world, fans should just go the games and keep their mouths shuts.. and if they don't like it, don't b**** about it, just don't go to the games… Is the organization accountable to it's fandom in any fashion? Or do the White Sox simply exist for the benefit of providing very lucrative salaries for players, administrators, and already very wealthy investors?

Im not trying to be a sh*t to people, and I truly do respect everyone's opinion and right to say what they feel.. Ultimately what the Sox do or don't do doesn't affect my day that much.. even during the season.. but to discount the fact that there are passionate fans who have grown up with this team and want desperately to feel some kind of pride, rather than frustration.. that's just not realistic, and not being honest about what state the franchise is in...

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
That's just it, I don't see it being an issue worth looking into or making a stink over. My point is that you want to discuss the issue without providing the info needed to have a proper discussion. To be honest, you're coming across as just spamming SoxTalk to get members to join the Facebook group where Cooper supposedly had these exchanges with some fans.

With all due respect, couldn't be further from the truth.. I didn't even start this thread.. I just looked it up myself when I heard about it and posted it on another board..another poster read it there just passed that along here…

Do you really think I have the time to document this whole thing when it's easily available online for anyone to read? C.mon..

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
With all due respect, couldn't be further from the truth.. I didn't even start this thread.. I just looked it up myself when I heard about it and posted it on another board..another poster read it there just passed that along here…

Do you really think I have the time to document this whole thing when it's easily available online for anyone to read? C.mon..

Two things. 1) you're talking about a closed group on Facebook so its not easily available to those not in the group. 2) not everyone is on Facebook.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
One of the things Cooper said in one of his recent online rants was, (not an exact quote)…"if you are going to be a negative or complaining fan, we don't want you as a fan".. If you don't think this could be damaging in some respect in the Sox attempts to regain some relevancy in this town, then I basically think you are choosing not to look at it realistically

This was directed at both season ticket holders, past season ticket holders, or possibly potential season ticket holders.. Basically saying. "if you don't agree with what we do f--k you"

It's not what Cooper says or does that is the issue, IMHO.. it's that it raises the question of whether this reflects the organization as a whole's attitude toward the Sox fan.. People are going to go to games, or not go to games despite what Cooper says, I agree with that..

It's not a issue that is at the forefront of what the Sox are faced with approaching a new season, but I think its noteworthy in that this happens again and again.. a high ranking member of the Sox organization disparaging the paying customer..

I think its pretty safe to say that any one coach doesn't speak for the entire organization. Maybe Brooks Boyer but not a coach.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)

I think he is Jeff Samardzija. :D