Starting pitching options post Cespedes

blackmooncreeping

Should the Sox take a run at Gallardo? Has had pretty good stats considering he's been pitching in hitter friendly ballparks the past few seasons. Gives the rotation a solid presence in probably the 3 slot.

Other ideas, either FA's or trade? Any way to bring in James Shields on a bad contract swap (Laroche/Danks)?

Just spitballing here...

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Should the Sox take a run at Gallardo? Has had pretty good stats considering he's been pitching in hitter friendly ballparks the past few seasons. Gives the rotation a solid presence in probably the 3 slot.

Other ideas, either FA's or trade? Any way to bring in James Shields on a bad contract swap (Laroche/Danks)?

Just spitballing here...

I'd really rather not give up a draft pick to sign Gallardo especially since it looks like he is a candidate to decline. His strikeout numbers have dropped a ton over the last 4 years and while he has still been a very solid pitcher that is a huge concern.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I don't see us spending big money on a pitcher. If we do anything it will be a bargain signing, probably on a minor league deal.

I think there's an argument to be made over spending middle to big $$ on a starting pitcher rather than a decent OF. Would another mediocre OF have more impact on the team than a better quality RH starter?

I don't necessarily disagree with your post, just putting alternative options out there...

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
I think if we replace Danks somehow we could be really good

Replace him with whom and at what cost after presumably eating much of Danks' contract? Danks as a 4th or 5th starter is perfectly fine. He was 60th among all starters in fWAR. There is a lot of value as a starter in just taking the ball 30 times a year and throwing 180 innings.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Replace him with whom and at what cost after presumably eating much of Danks' contract? Danks as a 4th or 5th starter is perfectly fine. He was 60th among all starters in fWAR. There is a lot of value as a starter in just taking the ball 30 times a year and throwing 180 innings.

Coax Buehrle back! Dump Danks!

I'd rather give Latos a try. We have enough lefties and this guy was a 4.0 fWAR pitcher 2010-2014 until he started getting bounced around....

Big durable guy too which Coop loves...and he's only 28.

Big potential upside, I think.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Am I crazy for thinking they should kick the tires on Lincecum? Of course only if his workout next month goes well, and only if he won't cost a fortune.

*waits for backlash*

Hey if his showcase goes well, I wouldn't mind a minor league deal with an opt out the last day of Spring Training. Of course if he makes the team he'd get a few mill. Some kind of deal like that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)

Yeah, the starting 5 is set. Any additions will be for depth so it won't be a big deal.

The only significant addtion for this team will be one more bat.