OF Options

rhuesmann35

I honestly wonder if these annual visitations of the same theme of stretched or limited financial resources have been market-tested as the best way 1) to push fans off the fence to sell tickets and 2) to create the perception fans are more responsible than the organization itself for team's state of affairs?

It gets really old to be told they're doing us a favor signing the likes of a Rollins instead of Desmond and how competitive ol JR is when the results are what they have been. If he is really THAT competitive, I'd really hate to see the complacent Reinsdorf.

Btw, there are never quotes like that from Illitch. They just announce signings and speak with their actions.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Laugh all you want, but this is the same story we have received since the you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents routine. They aren't going to tell you they are sitting on a pile of cash. They are going to tell you they are broke. When is the last year the White Sox ever were really trying to be competitive where they didn't say this exact same thing?

I know people like to complain, but the Sox crying poor and John Danks getting lit up on March 4th is really a reach.

Relax, Dick Allen. I wasn't laughing at you. I was actually acknowledging your comment that they have the money for an OF, which I fully agree with. All I was doing was simply pointing out they were only half way there. As in, they have the money for the outfielder - they just don't actually have the outfielder. (Yet?)

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Ugh, if $5 million is a stretch then we should've sold off.

I don't really understand this...perhaps they didn't have a whole lot of money to spend this season...that doesn't necessarily dictate a change in the longer term plan, especially if you don't necessarily believe the results on the field last year truly represent the talent that was in place.

I feel like we are going to take a big step this season, not only because of the additions this offseason but because of some additions from last offseason. I feel very similar to how I felt going into '12...like we will be pretty competitive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
I don't really understand this...perhaps they didn't have a whole lot of money to spend this season...that doesn't necessarily dictate a change in the longer term plan, especially if you don't necessarily believe the results on the field last year truly represent the talent that was in place.

I feel like we are going to take a big step this season, not only because of the additions this offseason but because of some additions from last offseason. I feel very similar to how I felt going into '12...like we will be pretty competitive.

In a nutshell, it comes down to believing in LaRoche, Avi Garcia and Cabrera, and Lawrie to a lesser extent (most would be happy with a 2 war contribution and anything above would be gravy).

Obviously, that also means expecting Abreu, Eaton and Frazier to be as good or better than the last two years as well.

The one difference with 2012 is that I'm not sure this defense (as currently constituted) can be one of the best in the majors the first four months. We're surely not going to use 12 rookie pitchers again. Quintana was the huge positive surprise of that season, and, unless you're counting on Anderson or Fulmer making early contributions, maybe it means Latos or Rollins have to make the same type of impact.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/166116018

J.B. Shuck has a firm grasp on the fourth outfield spot, and the White Sox know his capabilities in center. He will start in that spot Friday against the Indians. In their pursuit of one more move talked about by general manager Rick Hahn and executive vice president Ken Williams, the team could look for a controllable outfielder who has the ability to play center as greater insurance.

Don't know if this was posted or seen but here is some stuff about the outfield

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 06:29 AM)
J.B. Shuck in CF for any extended period of time would be a complete disaster. What the f*** are these guys thinking?!

The only position he had a negative DRS last year in the OF

Uh yeah. I just cannot see Shuck as the answer to CF. A spot start here and there is one thing but he's not the long term solution by any means and should be limited to one of the corners where his defensive abilities are better suited.

Seeing more and more talk about May and I'm starting to wonder if the Sox hold off on their OF search to see how May performs in Charlotte the first few months. Not the way I'd like to see things go down but I really am starting to wonder if the Sox add another outfielder. Hopefully they do.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 07:03 AM)
Uh yeah. I just cannot see Shuck as the answer to CF. A spot start here and there is one thing but he's not the long term solution by any means and should be limited to one of the corners where his defensive abilities are better suited.

Seeing more and more talk about May and I'm starting to wonder if the Sox hold off on their OF search to see how May performs in Charlotte the first few months. Not the way I'd like to see things go down but I really am starting to wonder if the Sox add another outfielder. Hopefully they do.

Would be stupid, but maybe they are hoping that May can get them by until Engel hits enough to be a 4th OFer.

I'd rather see Sands get that time in CF, until Eaton is ready. It's too early for Jacob May. He needs at least a year at AAA.

Moreover, he has no power, which the Sox outfield really could use. It's also too early for Engel.

Sands has already proven his Minor League credentials. He needs to get Major League at bats.

If he establishes himself, and depending upon how Avi does, once Eaton is ready, he could slide over to RF.

I just reread this old scouting report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1311284...or-josh-beckett

This guy has serious power, and has a very impressive Minor League career. He really hasn't had a chance to play much in the Majors.

In just 66 games, last year at AAA Columbus he hit 14 homers and put up this line: .287 .409 .538 .948

He looked pretty good yesterday, both on defense and at the plate.

Given our poor defense and the lack of power, in the outfield, why not give him a good look in Spring Training?

I understand that he is not really a centerfielder, and that he would play much better in a corner OF spot, but playing CF until Eaton can return, is one way to get

him at bats. Avi needs to play and I'd certainly rather see Sands in CF, than Avi. Yikes!!

Edited by Lillian

Just my opinion with no source, but I think the Sox are still persuing an outfielder. This "happy with what we have" and "we are broke" stuff is all part of the negotiations. No sense in bidding against ourselves for AJax right? No sense in seeming desparate to trade for Puig or Rettig is there? Hahn is not dumb. He has more patience than some of us on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Would be stupid, but maybe they are hoping that May can get them by until Engel hits enough to be a 4th OFer.

I hope that's not the plan. This year will be May's first in AAA and Engel's first in AA. Conceivably, May could help at some point this year but Engel might not be ready until next year.

We might be looking at Daniel Fields as the backup CF since he's the only true CF option the Sox have that's possibly ready to help at the MLB level. Uhhg! My brain hurts! :lol:

Please Rick, find us something for CF that brings us fans some hope for the OF defense. Pretty please!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
I'd rather see Sands get that time in CF, until Eaton is ready. It's too early for Jacob May. He needs at least a year at AAA.

Moreover, he has no power, which the Sox outfield really could use. It's also too early for Engel.

Sands has already proven his Minor League credentials. He needs to get Major League at bats.

If he establishes himself, and depending upon how Avi does, once Eaton is ready, he could slide over to RF.

I just reread this old scouting report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1311284...or-josh-beckett

This guy has serious power, and has a very impressive Minor League career. He really hasn't had a chance to play much in the Majors.

In just 66 games, last year at AAA Columbus he hit 14 homers and put up this line: .287 .409 .538 .948

He looked pretty good yesterday, both on defense and at the plate.

Given our poor defense and the lack of power, in the outfield, why not give him a good look in Spring Training?

I understand that he is not really a centerfielder, and that he would play much better in a corner OF spot, but playing CF until Eaton can return, is one way to get

him at bats. Avi needs to play and I'd certainly rather see Sands in CF, than Avi. Yikes!!

Where did you get the idea that Jerry Sands can play CF?

If we're not going to sign another OF, how about Jason Coats eventually taking over in RF? I think there's a decent chance he can be a solid starter at the MLB level, which would be a vast improvement over Avi.

He could probably use another half-season in AAA, but he appears to be mostly MLB-ready. Good contact, good power, I believe he's a good defender at the corners and can play center in a pinch, though he's on the older side for a prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm all for Sands being LaRoche's platoon partner, but I think we're jumping the gun a bit when talking about him being an everyday starter.

You can't have him for that. I have him starting in RF. You need to find somebody else. :lol:

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
White Sox are still searching for LH power according to Levine. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/03/04/lev...t-handed-power/

What in the f*** is Levine writing here?

The troubling numbers include a huge slide down to .220 in batting average in 2015, and 150 strikeout ratio per season over the last three years.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
I wouldn't give up much for Bruce.

I dont want Bruce under any circumstance really.

He would be just another terrible left handed bat under the guise of "left handed power bat".

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
I dont want Bruce under any circumstance really.

He would be just another terrible left handed bat under the guise of "left handed power bat".

Just saying so saying some of Fraziers and Bruce's career numbers are almost the same. That said bruce is supposed to be pretty bad on the of. I would rather have ethier

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Just saying so saying some of Fraziers and Bruce's career numbers are almost the same. That said bruce is supposed to be pretty bad on the of. I would rather have ethier

I am sure this has been brought up multiple times but with Anderson going down for LAD, doesn't that make a Danks for Ethier swap even make more sense?