OF Options

rhuesmann35

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Murphy is bad

Everyone left as a FA is bad, including Austin Jackson, who has become overrated in the past few weeks now that all the good OFs are gone. Yes his D is solid, but his bat has been downright awful, and he's not coming at some Rollins or Latos-like discount. Boras will get him his money, and I don't think it will be with the Sox. Hahn must have a trade, secret target or obvious target, lined up. I just can't imagine what's taking so long to complete it.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Everyone left as a FA is bad, including Austin Jackson, who has become overrated in the past few weeks now that all the good OFs are gone. Yes his D is solid, but his bat has been downright awful, and he's not coming at some Rollins or Latos-like discount. Boras will get him his money, and I don't think it will be with the Sox. Hahn must have a trade, secret target or obvious target, lined up. I just can't imagine what's taking so long to complete it.

good point

and that is my main point, is his defense better than Avi and / or can he possible play cf as well.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)

Austin Jackson rises above "bad," and I'm not overrating him by saying that. He'd be worth 2/$17M.

I fully expect that you're right and he'll sign somewhere else though.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Austin Jackson rises above "bad," and I'm not overrating him by saying that. He'd be worth 2/$17M.

I fully expect that you're right and he'll sign somewhere else though.

Eh. He offers an equal or arguably worse bat than Avi at more than double the price. Yes, his D is important (especially considering the Sox current OF), but I think Hahn will find a better value for the money elsewhere.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
and for me, i will judge this in, is he better than Avi in the OF, defensively??

i will let those posters who are really good with the advance stats to figure this out.

At this point, yes, Venable is definitely better than Avi defensively. Venable has been declining with the bat and glove the last few years which happens with outfielders his age (33). The Sox didn't miss out on anything.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Eh. He offers an equal or arguably worse bat than Avi at more than double the price. Yes, his D is important (especially considering the Sox current OF), but I think Hahn will find a better value for the money elsewhere.

One of them is a 2 WAR player that is great defensively and the other is Avisail Garcia. It's a pretty big upgrade.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Have to imagine at this point Sox aren't going to be bringing anyone free agent wise for OF. Seemed if they were bringing anyone in it would be trade as its been mentioned before.

Why don't you think Austin Jackson is an option? Boras might have been waiting to see where Fowler goes to make Jackson the last significant option for teams.

If the White Sox added Jackson they could look like this theoretically:

VS RHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Cabrera LF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. LaRoche DH

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Avila C

8. Rollins SS

9. Jackson CF

vs LHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Rollins SS

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Cabrera LF

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Garcia DH

8. Navarro

9. Jackson CF

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Why don't you think Austin Jackson is an option? Boras might have been waiting to see where Fowler goes to make Jackson the last significant option for teams.

I just don't think he's anything special. Maybe better defense but I honestly believe they need another run producing bat. Sox haven't spent much in free agency and if they are at the limit it's going to trade route. Just because Jackson is the next one up that needs a team everyone is now looking at him for sox. Just throwing it out there if the Sox sign Jackson you are looking at maybe only 30 homeruns combined in outfield. Thats why I belive they need another threat in the lineup cause right now the big boys are Abreu/Frazier. Also the fact boras is his agent he going to try to get him his money. With orioles and angels needing an outfielder still he probably ends up with one of them possiblly

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
If the White Sox added Jackson they could look like this theoretically:

VS RHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Cabrera LF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. LaRoche DH

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Avila C

8. Rollins SS

9. Jackson CF

vs LHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Rollins SS

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Cabrera LF

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Garcia DH

8. Navarro

9. Jackson CF

This is why bringing in another OF is so important, it not only addresses the hole in the OF, but it also addresses the DH platoon for LaRoche with Avi.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
This is why bringing in another OF is so important, it not only addresses the hole in the OF, but it also addresses the DH platoon for LaRoche with Avi.

That is another reason why Avi "being addressed" kills 2 birds with 1 stone, and is a priority. Most of the other "problems" have been addressed anyways.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
I just don't think he's anything special. Maybe better defense but I honestly believe they need another run producing bat. Sox haven't spent much in free agency and if they are at the limit it's going to trade route. Just because Jackson is the next one up that needs a team everyone is now looking at him for sox. Just throwing it out there if the Sox sign Jackson you are looking at maybe only 30 homeruns combined in outfield. Thats why I belive they need another threat in the lineup cause right now the big boys are Abreu/Frazier.

Don't have the pieces to get a run producing bat which is why I want to improve the worst defensive OF in the AL. I've wanted Jackson all offseason. It isn't some new thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Don't have the pieces to get a run producing bat which is why I want to improve the worst defensive OF in the AL. I've wanted Jackson all offseason. It isn't some new thing.

And he's 29. There has to be so hope his offense can rebound. And it's not like he was Leury Garcia with the bat last year either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Maybe better defense?

Austin Jackson may be equal at bat, but he doesn't actively make the rest of the team worse with poor baserunning and defense. Austin Jackson makes our pitchers better.

Yes Jackson would be better defensively but sox also need to be better offensively. Sox have upgraded the offense but when you are talking about having the 28 in baseball for runs theres some catching up that needs to be done. Now the Sox have upgraded offense with 2nd, 3rd and hopefully catcher but they might not have upgrade defense at those positions as greatly. All the teams in the central scored more runs then the sox. Detroit finished worst them Sox but that's a big to do with pitching. They improved the pitching so probably will be better unless they get injured. All the teams that made the playoffs in the AL scored at least 700 runs. Average runs a game for AL is 710. Just for the sox to get to 700 runs that's a 78 improvement. League average is 88 more runs for the sox. Probably a good comfortable offense for sox would be a 100 more runs then last year. Otherwise Sox better have some damn good pitching and defense to make up for the lack of offense. I will say they need a more improved bat if they are replacing avi.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer