Sox/Cubs showing interest in Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
I honestly don't think they know how much the fans dislike/know how bad Garcia is. The fact that they're propping him up via beat writers and having him call people to get tickets is almost insulting.

Yeah I don't think they have any idea to be honest.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Hinrich and Avi don't belong in the same sentence. Hinrich is one of the better players in franchise history.

Hinrich hasnt played atleast above a decent level since before he was with Atlanta.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Can't link it but Merkin also tweeted that Ventura knows Hahn is trying to tweak roster

Scott Merkin loves to troll people about Garcia...it's getting fairly embarrassing at this point.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Hinrich hasnt played atleast above a decent level since before he was with Atlanta.

That has nothing to do with anything. Hinrich was once an above average NBA player. Avi has never been anything but a bum thus far in his career. Hinrich is now in a bench role. People might want to hate on him, but he's still a bench player and when you look at his career statistics, he will go down as one of the better Bulls (I'm not saying he's currently an above average NBA player by any stretch of the imagination). However, I still think he's a quality player to have off your bench.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
That has nothing to do with anything. Hinrich was once an above average NBA player. Avi has never been anything but a bum thus far in his career. Hinrich is now in a bench role. People might want to hate on him, but he's still a bench player and when you look at his career statistics, he will go down as one of the better Bulls (I'm not saying he's currently an above average NBA player by any stretch of the imagination). However, I still think he's a quality player to have off your bench.

They are both bums right now. One is old and cant play defense or offense. The other is young and cant play defense or offense. Nobody cares about what Kirk did hell 10 years ago. Most people want him off the roster because his play/salary has overshadowed the good he did many years ago.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
I've already made my mind up, if they don't make any more moves to improve this team before opening day, I won't pay for the MLB package. Not going to sit through another frustrating season that could have been prevented, or at least had a lot of a chance to be prevented.

THAT'LL SHOW EM'!!

Look, I am no Avi supporter, but it is bothersome to read what seems to be a real hatred for the guy. Last year was the first time in his very brief major league career that he has over 200 AB's. Did he do well? No. Was he poor defensively? Absolutely. Is he an irretrievable lost cause? At this point I don't know, and I am not sure any professional baseball person really knows either. He certainly was considered a great catch when we acquired him.

He was overweight, he gained weight during the season, he frustrated Ventura, he botched plays in the outfield, he looked abysmal at times at the plate. But ... he is only 24 years old, with really what amounts to one full season as a starter. There are many, many star big leaguers who looked as bad - Lou Brock comes to my mind. The Cubs got rid of him in what was probably one of the worst baseball trades ever made.

Avi had a great start to the season, then fell off a cliff. Maybe that's all he is. But giving him another year - if Hahn cannot find a reasonable alternative - may not be the end of the world. That's all I'm saying ... let the naysayers come!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Spending less than 10 million in free agency is inexcusable

I'm never the one that gets bent out of shape for not signing someone to a $200 million contract but only signing Avila and Navarro is sad. If they are hell bent on Garcia starting now then I'm done with Hahn. They can't be this naive. I hate being this in between and wasting prime years of our core.

Edited by SouthSideSale

The biggest issue with the OF market and Avi that I have is that they dont have much hope outside of this year to improve the OF if Avi fails again. The next two years FA class is abysmal and they just dont have the prospects to trade for a significant upgrade, you're most likely going to need Fulmer and Anderson as everyday players in the next year or two. The market came to them on a silver platter and they seem to want to stand pat and convince the fans that Avi will magically turn into something that he probably isn't.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Look, I am no Avi supporter, but it is bothersome to read what seems to be a real hatred for the guy. Last year was the first time in his very brief major league career that he has over 200 AB's. Did he do well? No. Was he poor defensively? Absolutely. Is he an irretrievable lost cause? At this point I don't know, and I am not sure any professional baseball person really knows either. He certainly was considered a great catch when we acquired him.

He was overweight, he gained weight during the season, he frustrated Ventura, he botched plays in the outfield, he looked abysmal at times at the plate. But ... he is only 24 years old, with really what amounts to one full season as a starter. There are many, many star big leaguers who looked as bad - Lou Brock comes to my mind. The Cubs got rid of him in what was probably one of the worst baseball trades ever made.

Avi had a great start to the season, then fell off a cliff. Maybe that's all he is. But giving him another year - if Hahn cannot find a reasonable alternative - may not be the end of the world. That's all I'm saying ... let the naysayers come!

Nobody has said they " hate " Avi. Just that they want to see the Sox improve the outfield and lets face it, Avi is the weakest link. Taking some digs and poking some fun at Avi is not hating Avi, just expressing some disgust with his bat and glove.

They really just need to let Avi DH and worry only about hitting. What all the excuses about him only having one full year leaves out is he got hurt one of the other seasons cause he plays the outfield like as if he has never played the position.

Edited by fathom

Just don't know how you can sell Avi to the fanbase. We all have watched him the last 2 seasons, he is absolutely dreadful at every aspect of the game. To even be suitable starter, he's gonna need to be a 25-30 HR guy and nothing has ever shown he can be that. You still have holes at SS, DH, and maybe LF, you have the opportunity to improve in RF, to not address it just shows me this front office does not care about winning.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
Just don't know how you can sell Avi to the fanbase. We all have watched him the last 2 seasons, he is absolutely dreadful at every aspect of the game. To even be suitable starter, he's gonna need to be a 25-30 HR guy and nothing has ever shown he can be that. You still have holes at SS, DH, and maybe LF, you have the opportunity to improve in RF, to not address it just shows me this front office does not care about winning.

It's looking like they completely misjudged the market on the big 3 outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
It's looking like they completely misjudged the market on the big 3 outfielders.

Without knowing our offers on the Big 3 I'm withholding strong criticism there (if the Sox had better offers then the Mets/Royals not much could have been done), but if they don't have a backup plan they deserve to be crucified.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)

Avi still had a place on this team, it just isn't as a full time 600PA RF. He needs to be facing LHP as a DH and let LaRoche sit vs. LHP or spelling the other OF's for a day off, primarily against LHP.

I wonder if Merkin has memory problems. Exactly one year ago Avi showed up to Soxfest in tremendous shape. Almost unrecognizable . Said he was eating a lot of fish. Going to breakout.

I like Avi. I thought he worked his ass off to get some ABs in 2014, so I wouldn't doubt he is a hard worker. But until he starts laying off of pitches he can't hit very hard, he is toast. That isn't something you can change overnight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Hahn has been a total disaster so far. Results on the field have sucked and the system is a mess.

The system isn't a mess. It's in an in-between point after all of the trades, which included a trade for an All-Star third baseman.. The 2015 draft class looks fairly strong and if those players and some LatAm signees perform well, the system will look fine.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
If Avi is the starting RF again next season and he struggles, the front office should be cleaned the f*** out. That is not the horse I'd want to hitch my wagon to if I was Hahn.

i thought i replied to this, but i couldn't find my post, so,

if any posters tries to lay the blame on Hahn they are wrong, the main blame should fall on the shoulders of the owners. it is they who gives the budget to Hahn on how much to spend, it is they who approves of any fa signing, it is they who needs to pass of on any trades.

this is all on the owner.... but hey, they did something great this off season, with a team salary of around 115 mil + / - , they should make a real nice profit.... counting their money while Avi patrols the outfields .