Sox/Cubs showing interest in Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Avi to call season ticket holders sure sounds more like the Sox are trying to sell Avi to the fans instead of selling tickets. :lol:

My questions to Avi would be " shouldn't you be in Arizona? Why werent you invited to camp with the rest of the kids? Do the other kids pick on you? Are you allergic to extra BP/fielding practice? Does Allegra make an anti-histamine that would allow you to take part in extra BP/fielding? Do you need Kleenex because you sound a bit, nasally? Oh, I'm sorry, I've made you cry haven't I? Well, now you know how I feel when I see you step onto the field don't you? Avi, still there? Aaaaaavi, Aaaaaavi, Aaaaaaavi?. *dial tone*" he gawn... to Arizona I hope!

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'd trade Keon Barnum or Josh Phegley for Fowler. Our comp picks have always been terrible, and Adams was a 2nd rounder that fell in our lap.

Maybe we should forfeit our 1st rounder because of the Gordon Beckham pick. We have problems with our 1st round pick success so lets start with the 2nd round. I never understand the logic of selecting further back because of stupidity in the past. Lets go further back because of stupid decisions in the past. I am sure other teams would value having 3 picks in the top 50.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Maybe we should forfeit our 1st rounder because of the Gordon Beckham pick. We have problems with our 1st round pick success so lets start with the 2nd round. I never understand the logic of selecting further back because of stupidity in the past. Lets go further back because of stupid decisions in the past. I am sure other teams would value having 3 picks in the top 50.

I'm sure a lot of teams would like 2 picks in the top 50 and Dexter Fowler.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm sure a lot of teams would like 2 picks in the top 50 and Dexter Fowler.

Agreed, and I know I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not that concerned about stacking up with draft picks right now. If the Sox decide to blow it up in a year or so, Sale/Q can restock the system immediately. Rather see what this core of players can do with another above average player on the roster.

Look at our lineup right now. Look at the ZiPS projections article on FanGraphs. Assess and formulate where you think our team is. Think about our competition. Think about how Avisail's projected 0 WAR fits into the plan.

Now tell me: Would you rather have Dexter Fowler in that lineup, or would you rather have an extra draft pick after the first round during the draft this year?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Look at our lineup right now. Look at the ZiPS projections article on FanGraphs. Assess and formulate where you think our team is. Think about our competition. Think about how Avisail's projected 0 WAR fits into the plan.

Now tell me: Would you rather have Dexter Fowler in that lineup, or would you rather have an extra draft pick after the first round during the draft this year?

F*** those projections. When Avi comes out this year and puts up a 130 wRC+ we'll be glad we didn't sign Fowler and give up a draft pick. :P

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Agreed, and I know I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not that concerned about stacking up with draft picks right now. If the Sox decide to blow it up in a year or so, Sale/Q can restock the system immediately. Rather see what this core of players can do with another above average player on the roster.

I agree. If the Sox flop again this year, then with next offseason's extremely thin SP market the Sox should be able to get a couple Shelby Miller-type packages and instantly make the farm look pretty good.

Merkin keeps banging the Avi is going to be better this year dead horse.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m8 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Garcia has a definite plan this year. When asked what it was, he smiled and declined to elaborate. Has a quiet confidence about him.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Garcia admitted to playing too big last year. Wants to be a viable base stealing threat this season.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 11m11 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Garcia looks to be in great shape. Said he's benefited from just focusing on season prep and not playing winter ball

Todd Steverson traveled to Miami recently to work personally with Avisail Garcia.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Merkin keeps banging the Avi is going to be better this year dead horse.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m8 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Garcia has a definite plan this year. When asked what it was, he smiled and declined to elaborate. Has a quiet confidence about him.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Garcia admitted to playing too big last year. Wants to be a viable base stealing threat this season.

Garcia looks to be in great shape. Said he's benefited from just focusing on season prep and not playing winter ball

Todd Steverson traveled to Miami recently to work personally with Avisail Garcia.

That says a lot about what the Sox FO is looking to do. Which is nothing with RF.

BTW I am one of the few that likes Avi, mind you.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
That says a lot about what the Sox FO is looking to do. Which is nothing with RF.

BTW I am one of the few that likes Avi, mind you.

Eh... They've been saying this all year. Not sure I would put any stock into it.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
If Avi is the starting RF again next season and he struggles, the front office should be cleaned the f*** out. That is not the horse I'd want to hitch my wagon to if I was Hahn.

Couldn't agree more. Hahn has been a total disaster so far. Results on the field have sucked and the system is a mess.

I've already made my mind up, if they don't make any more moves to improve this team before opening day, I won't pay for the MLB package. Not going to sit through another frustrating season that could have been prevented, or at least had a lot of a chance to be prevented.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
I'd be extremely happy if this ended up being the move. Not only are you upgraded the defense slightly, but the offense gets a big boost:

Eaton RF

Fowler CF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

Cabrera LF

LaRoche DH

Lawrie 2B

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

I think that's a playoff caliber roster with our pitching

I'd almost rather give Coats a chance and just waive Laroche.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
I've already made my mind up, if they don't make any more moves to improve this team before opening day, I won't pay for the MLB package. Not going to sit through another frustrating season that could have been prevented, or at least had a lot of a chance to be prevented.

Same here. They'll only be improved some after only trading for a couple players. Not spending is ridiculous.