Sox/Cubs showing interest in Fowler

southsider2k5

There's been a lot of speculation in the thread about what kind of money Fowler can make . Most are focusing on what other 2nd tier OF's got and the draft pick keeping his value down. I'm not so sure .

Everyone seems to be ignoring the biggest factor and that is supply and demand. With so many teams sitting out the big ticket free agents it seems as if there will be many interested in Fowler.The Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Angels, Orioles, Nationals , Indians and some I might be missing. All have expressed interest in acquiring another OF. If I had to guess what Fowler would get for a 3 year deal it might be anywhere from 15-17M AAV.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-191753654.html

Big League Stew makes the case for a Fowler signing.

The Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Angels, Orioles, Nationals , Indians and some I might be missing.

Brewers supposedly want a stopgap for CF, but that would probably be Austin Jackson.

Seems the Indians are already at the ends of their budget, so you can cross them off the list.

Cardinals would be another possibility, depending on their long-range plans for Holliday and Adams. That outfield definitely has its weaknesses, especially subtracting the certainty of Heyward's defensive prowess.

The Red Sox aren't sure about anyone in their outfield except for Betts. Bradley, Jr., and Castillo are huge question marks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-191753654.html

Big League Stew makes the case for a Fowler signing.

The Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Angels, Orioles, Nationals , Indians and some I might be missing.

Brewers supposedly want a stopgap for CF, but that would probably be Austin Jackson.

Seems the Indians are already at the ends of their budget, so you can cross them off the list.

Cardinals would be another possibility, depending on their long-range plans for Holliday and Adams. That outfield definitely has its weaknesses, especially subtracting the certainty of Heyward's defensive prowess.

The Red Sox aren't sure about anyone in their outfield except for Betts. Bradley, Jr., and Castillo are huge question marks.

It's like someone from this site wrote that article.

Sorry if this has been recently stated by others, as I haven't read the entire thread:

Over the last 3 seasons, Fowler is around a .245 hitter vs. RHP. His numbers are terrific vs. lefties, but he won't face many southpaws, playing for the Sox.

He does hit for more power from the left side, but he's still not really a power hitter. I don't think he is the answer, and he would cost that draft pick.

The biggest offensive hole is still someone to hit between Abreu and Frazier, and Fowler isn't suited to bat in that spot. Everyone seems to agree that he would profile

as a leadoff or 2 hole hitter, which is not the Sox' greatest need.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 06:44 AM)
Sorry if this has been recently stated by others, as I haven't read the entire thread:

Over the last 3 seasons, Fowler is around a .245 hitter vs. RHP. His numbers are terrific vs. lefties, but he won't face many southpaws, playing for the Sox.

He does hit for more power from the left side, but he's still not really a power hitter. I don't think he is the answer, and he would cost that draft pick.

The biggest offensive hole is still someone to hit between Abreu and Frazier, and Fowler isn't suited to bat in that spot. Everyone seems to agree that he would profile

as a leadoff or 2 hole hitter, which is not the Sox' greatest need.

The walks/OBP have clear value, but $15 million per year and a top 30 draft pick's worth?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 07:01 AM)
The walks/OBP have clear value, but $15 million per year and a top 30 draft pick's worth?

Exactly, and please note, even his OBP has not been that good vs. RHP. Over that same last three years, it's under .350

Who exactly is the Sox 2 hole hitter currently? It seems like a mighty big hole to me. Now Fowler is not great at it and is not worth the draft choice in my view. But I suspect they will do something I like even less, like clearing out the prospects not named Fulmer or Anderson for yet another proven NL veteran.

As for the front office, it really should've been cleared out after last year's debacle. Just Williams getting a presidency somewhere elwould have give Hahn more freedom to make certain other adjustments.

But whoever's in the front office, they are dealt a tough hand. They don't want to take the time to build the organization, but don't have the budget to get the necessary free agents. And when they trade for/ sign proven veterans, their hit rate is ridiculously low. They've got to cut down on the misses in the proven veteran category

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Who exactly is the Sox 2 hole hitter currently? It seems like a mighty big hole to me. Now Fowler is not great at it and is not worth the draft choice in my view. But I suspect they will do something I like even less, like clearing out the prospects not named Fulmer or Anderson for yet another proven NL veteran.

As for the front office, it really should've been cleared out after last year's debacle. Just Williams getting a presidency somewhere elwould have give Hahn more freedom to make certain other adjustments.

But whoever's in the front office, they are dealt a tough hand. They don't want to take the time to build the organization, but don't have the budget to get the necessary free agents. And when they trade for/ sign proven veterans, their hit rate is ridiculously low. They've got to cut down on the misses in the proven veteran category

It's hard to argue against your point. I just prefer trying to improve the clean up spot, rather than the #2 hole. It's pretty hard to be optimistic, with La Roche there, again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 28s29 seconds ago

Question about Fowler: Hahn - "I think it's best I don't talk about players who aren't already in a White Sox uniform."

Aren't already? I'm going to twist that in my mind to signaling that he will be soon. Let the hysteria begin, who's got the first watch?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Julie DiCaro seems to think that Fowler is staying with the Cubs, which also echoes a few other things that have been put out lately.

Would really hurt the Sox if they miss on another FA.

Losing out on Fowler wouldn't hurt the Sox.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Julie DiCaro seems to think that Fowler is staying with the Cubs, which also echoes a few other things that have been put out lately.

Would really hurt the Sox if they miss on another FA.

She's been right on a lot this offseason with regards to the Cubs. Have a feeling this is another Zobrist situation where there is a deal in place and Theo just has to give the go ahead that the corresponding move is finalized

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Going from 2-2.5 WAR a season over negative war is a minor improvement?

You're assuming that Fowler will produce that WAR in RF and Garcia will not improve at all. I do think that Garcia will improve, albeit not by much.

This could be a situation like Cespedes and Gordon. Maybe Fowler wants to stay with the Cubs. The cubs signed Heyward/ Zobrist/ Lackey to improve a club that had made it to the NLCS in '15 so I wouldn't blame Fowler for wanting to return to a club house that absolutely loved him.

What I'm saying is that this very well could be out of the Sox control regardless of what they offer. If I were Fowler, I'd choose the cubs over the Sox in a heartbeat.

I think as it stands with the current roster (JUST MY OPINION) this is a low 80s win team, so right around 500 (81-84 wins).

At first I was against Fowler big time, but at this point I kind of want them to sign him. Him and another minor piece could add a couple wins, and put them closer to a WC possibility.

I just can't see another year of Sale, Abreu and co wasted.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
She's been right on a lot this offseason with regards to the Cubs. Have a feeling this is another Zobrist situation where there is a deal in place and Theo just has to give the go ahead that the corresponding move is finalized

Unless they are lining something up with the Indians or Padres, I see no fits for them to add Fowler. That Dickerson trade kinda f***ed them.