Ventura: LaRoche will have to earn his spot in Spring Training

Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
@JJStankevitz: Robin Ventura on Adam LaRoche: "He's gotta go into spring training and earn a job and earn the right to play." #WhiteSox #SoxFest2016

Don't they all? Posturing is what it seems, but I am sure Laroche takes nothing for granted

I certainly hope that is the case but the cynic in me can list millions of reasons (as in dollars) why I'd be shocked if he was benched or cut outright.

The White Sox don't let go of guys with that much money on the table regardless of how bad they are. We're talking what 14 million?

Mark

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)
Good on Robin for coming out being blunt about LaRoche needing to earn playing time.

i agree that it is posturing .... reason is 13 mil worth.

but that aside, what will be the final decision, his get up and go, his stats in ST??? he starts of horrible for the first 2 months of play. so how will they judge him??

that is another reason i am saying it is just posturing from the sox FO.

Robin also said that right now LaRoche is the DH. His "competing" for a spot is assuming the Sox add another bat and I really like idea of LaRoche, Melky, & Avi having to compete for playing time at LF & DH. Just need to add another OF to make it happen.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
i agree that it is posturing .... reason is 13 mil worth.

but that aside, what will be the final decision, his get up and go, his stats in ST??? he starts of horrible for the first 2 months of play. so how will they judge him??

that is another reason i am saying it is just posturing from the sox FO.

LaRoche's performance in ST will determine his playing time to start the season. I would imagine that even if LaRoche earns playing time to start the season, he will have to continue to earn it to stay in the lineup. LaRoche will surely be on a short leash and understably so. The Sox could really use his power potential from the left side so hopefully he can regain some of what he had prior to '15.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
LaRoche's performance in ST will determine his playing time to start the season. I would imagine that even if LaRoche earns playing time to start the season, he will have to continue to earn it to stay in the lineup. LaRoche will surely be on a short leash and understably so. The Sox could really use his power potential from the left side so hopefully he can regain some of what he had prior to '15.

so as i see this, this being written out and thought of logically, laroche is and will be on the team, he will not be let go during ST and his continue presence may depend on his defense, with an occasional playing time.

that is the bare minimum. so again, it is all bluster coming from the FO on laroche just to appease the fans.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
so as i see this, this being written out and thought of logically, laroche is and will be on the team, he will not be let go during ST and his continue presence may depend on his defense, with an occasional playing time.

that is the bare minimum. so again, it is all bluster coming from the FO on laroche just to appease the fans.

Huh? Of course LaRoche will be on the team, and should be to see if he can regain some of his old form. The Sox are paying him the 13M regardless so theres nothing wrong with seeing if theres anything left in the tank during ST. If a player out-performs him in ST then LaRoche becomes a LH bench bat with power potential late in games as well as serving as a quality backup to 1B. If LaRoche continues to regress during the season and the Sox need his roster spot, then they can release him but there's no point in releasing him now.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
They'll sign Fowler, keep Avi in RF and move Melky to DH. Bet.

At what point can a team sign a free agent who had rejected a qualifying offer and NOT lose the draft pick? Is there any precedent for a handshake deal that would be executed after that date or any reason to think that couldn't happen with someone like Fowler, Desmond, others who fit into this scenario?

Unless he comes into Spring Training looking completely broken down, I'd be hesitant to use Spring Training results to determine that much. It's 50 AB and guys are just trying to get back into the swing of things. Go look at the spring training stats of Anthony Rizzo or Adrian Gonzalez last year. Granted those guys weren't worried about "earning" their spot but I'd like to give LaRoche at least 4-6 weeks against solely RHP to see if he has any bounceback in him. Might as well, especially considering the other current options for DH aren't exactly promising anyway.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Huh? Of course LaRoche will be on the team, and should be to see if he can regain some of his old form. The Sox are paying him the 13M regardless so theres nothing wrong with seeing if theres anything left in the tank during ST. If a player out-performs him in ST then LaRoche becomes a LH bench bat with power potential late in games as well as serving as a quality backup to 1B. If LaRoche continues to regress during the season and the Sox need his roster spot, then they can release him but there's no point in releasing him now.

The voice of reason and logic!

/ thread.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)

50 at bats, in spring training or whatever it is, will not be enuf to judge anyone. the point of regressing is also how to gage it, when he is horrible in the beginning of every season.

so he is on the team, the fans should accept this, and see if there is some improvement come june, mid june.

that is all i am trying to point out in how i see this. i can't help it, it just doesn't make sense to what RV is saying.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
50 at bats, in spring training or whatever it is, will not be enuf to judge anyone. the point of regressing is also how to gage it, when he is horrible in the beginning of every season.

so he is on the team, the fans should accept this, and see if there is some improvement come june, mid june.

that is all i am trying to point out in how i see this. i can't help it, it just doesn't make sense to what RV is saying.

I don't understand the confusion. Based on LaRoche's performance last season, what RV said makes perfect sense to me.

Also, let's keep in mind that ST is not based on stats alone but more about how does the player look. In LaRoche's case, it will be about how he is seeing the ball in his ST at bats, the mechanics of his swing, his glove work at 1B and his overall focus towards the '16 season to see if he has mentally put '15 behind him. LaRoche is a veteran with a good attitude so he should be able to put '15 behind him.

Well, if we must resign ourselves to the probability that LaRoche will be the DH, I suppose it's realistic to expect him to be better than last year.

It's hard to imagine him being that bad, again. He was always a pretty good hitter against RHP.

You know, if he could just hit .250 with an OBP around .350, with 20 homers, all obviously vs. righties, that would be fine. We just have to hope that Robin will make sure that he sits vs. LHP. There is no reason to expect him to be anything other than a black hole, vs. lefties. But then, what gives us any reason to be confident that Robin will not start him every day? Has Ventura said anything about platooning him?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
I certainly hope that is the case but the cynic in me can list millions of reasons (as in dollars) why I'd be shocked if he was benched or cut outright.

The White Sox don't let go of guys with that much money on the table regardless of how bad they are. We're talking what 14 million?

Mark

Not quite that amount but see Keppinger, Jeff.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)

If you aren't going to believe them when they say he needs to earn a job and the only answer you will accept is he is going to be paid $13 million so he is going to play no matter what, why would any of these posts interest you or bother you?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Well, if we must resign ourselves to the probability that LaRoche will be the DH, I suppose it's realistic to expect him to be better than last year.

It's hard to imagine him being that bad, again. He was always a pretty good hitter against RHP.

You know, if he could just hit .250 with an OBP around .350, with 20 homers, all obviously vs. righties, that would be fine. We just have to hope that Robin will make sure that he sits vs. LHP. There is no reason to expect him to be anything other than a black hole, vs. lefties. But then, what gives us any reason to be confident that Robin will not start him every day? Has Ventura said anything about platooning him?

Robin platooned him the last two months of last season. I don't see why he wouldn't do it again, especially if we pick up Fowler/Jackson and kick Avi out of RF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
If you aren't going to believe them when they say he needs to earn a job and the only answer you will accept is he is going to be paid $13 million so he is going to play no matter what, why would any of these posts interest you or bother you?

i guess it is the same reason why i am a die hard sox fan......

i am a masochist