Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Where would he play though? They aren't going to platoon Schwarber with someone. They aren't going to platoon Fowler after giving him $$ either. I think the Cubs are out on Fowler. The White Sox have a price that they'd pay for Fowler with the pick attached and Fowler obviously isn't ready to sign for that amount yet.

Fowler in CF, Heyward in RF, Schwarber/Soler in LF. The Cubs have said they will continue to get Schwarber reps at catcher which would give Soler more at bats in LF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Fowler in CF, Heyward in RF, Schwarber/Soler in LF. The Cubs have said they will continue to get Schwarber reps at catcher which would give Soler more at bats in LF.

Do you think the Cubs would platoon Schwarber and Soler? That seems kind of counter-productive to me.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)

I've been wrong before but this doesn't make any sense. They aren't going to platoon those young guys. Also, Schwarber playing C is lip service. He can't play the position defensively and the #2 C prospect in the game will be on the Cubs around midseason.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Do you think the Cubs would platoon Schwarber and Soler? That seems kind of counter-productive to me.

I think they would. Schwarber cannot hit left handed pitching to save his life so somebody will have to get those at bats against lefties. Soler can't play RF to save his life so putting them both in LF as a platoon makes sense. Soler will still get some at bats against RHP when Schwarber is at the catcher position. The cubs have said they will continue to work with Schwarber at catcher so until they abandon the idea, the possibility still exists.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I think they would. Schwarber cannot hit left handed pitching to save his life so somebody will have to get those at bats against lefties. Soler can't play RF to save his life so putting them both in LF as a platoon makes sense. Soler will still get some at bats against RHP when Schwarber is at the catcher position. The cubs have said they will continue to work with Schwarber at catcher so until they abandon the idea, the possibility still exists.

So you think the Cubs would relegate Soler to a role where he gets just a couple of starts a week so quickly?

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)

I don't agree with much of this. They won't relegate either guy to regular platoon duty. Schwarber has 61 career plate appearances vs LHP too.

From Jeff Sullivan's chat today:

Jeff Sullivan: From one perspective the White Sox wound up in a difficult position because they were simultaneously thin in the majors and thin on the farm. They've done a little bit this offseason to address the lack of depth, but considering where we are now, remember that Desmond and Fowler are still out there. Plus a guy like Desmond Jennings. The offseason is almost over, but it's not completely over, and the Sox still have maybe the most obvious fits for the two best remaining position players

9:27 Jeff Sullivan: Desmond has been linked to Tampa Bay, but if that was going to happen I feel like it might've happened by now. I don't know where else Fowler might go. The Sox can get better if they sign either of these guys. Maybe they should sign both

There haven't been reports linking the Sox to Desmond but I have to imagine we're talking to him too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Austin Jackson makes way more sense for the Cubs. Better defense and can still get the comp pick when Fowler goes elsewhere (while being way cheaper)

Cubs would still lose the comp pick cause they signed 2 guys with qualifying offers. They would lose the first round and comp pick

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
So you think the Cubs would relegate Soler to a role where he gets just a couple of starts a week so quickly?

If the cubs stick to giving Schwarber some starts behind the plate, Soler will get more than a couple of starts per week and would still face some RH pitching. Let's not forget that Maddon is good at getting the most out of his players and their roles, plus were talking about a team that made it to the NLCS and judging by their off season moves, they clearly want to and think they can win now. If the cubs were concerned with the development of players like Soler and Baez, they wouldn't have signed Heyward and Zobrist.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
If the cubs stick to giving Schwarber some starts behind the plate, Soler will get more than a couple of starts per week and would still face some RH pitching. Let's not forget that Maddon is good at getting the most out of his players and their roles, plus were talking about a team that made it to the NLCS and judging by their off season moves, they clearly want to and think they can win now. If the cubs were concerned with the development of players like Soler and Baez, they wouldn't have signed Heyward and Zobrist.

Fowler would already be signed if they were signing him in my opinion. I hope they play Schwarber at C. That would be funny.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
I don't agree with much of this. They won't relegate either guy to regular platoon duty. Schwarber has 61 career plate appearances vs LHP too.

Schwarber also has a .143 BA in those 61 plate appearances. I'm not saying Schwarber will never face another LHP again but Maddon does well at extracting the most from his players when he fills out the lineup card everyday.

Not trying to come off as a cubs Homer but Maddon is a good manager and knows his players. Just giving credit where its due, even if it pains me to say it. :P

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Fowler would already be signed if they were signing him in my opinion. I hope they play Schwarber at C. That would be funny.

I hope you're but as I said earlier, the cubs and Fowler might be waiting on Arrieta's arbitration to see what kind of money will be left over. I'm just speculating and keeping my mind open to the possibility the Sox might not sign Fowler. For all I know, the Angels could swoop in and sign Fowler.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Schwarber also has a .143 BA in those 61 plate appearances. I'm not saying Schwarber will never face another LHP again but Maddon does well at extracting the most from his players when he fills out the lineup card everyday.

Not trying to come off as a cubs Homer but Maddon is a good manager and knows his players. Just giving credit where its due, even if it pains me to say it. :P

I am not referring to you here because you aren't the only one that feels that way about Maddon. But look at these numbers. Schwarber and LaRoche each can't hit LHP. Maddon knows his players and only had Schwarber face lefties 61 times in 69 games played. LaRoche played 127 games and faced LHP 94 times, even less percentage-wise than Schwarber, but Robin was an idiot.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
I am not referring to you here because you aren't the only one that feels that way about Maddon. But look at these numbers. Schwarber and LaRoche each can't hit LHP. Maddon knows his players and only had Schwarber face lefties 61 times in 69 games played. LaRoche played 127 games and faced LHP 94 times, even less percentage-wise than Schwarber, but Robin was an idiot.

I see what you're saying Dick and its a very good point. I think RV catches much more grief than he deserves. I mean, just look at what Robin has been given to fill out the lineup card. Avi, Flowers, Soto, Gillaspie, Olt, Beckham and so on. That's just from last year doesn't include the likes of Keppinger, Rios etc. Not trying to bash the FO but they haven't exactly given RV the best options to work with. I think RV deserves some slack and is a better manager than some think.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)

That still means only 200ish AB for Soler, seems unlikely.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
I bet people would be shocked that Coghlan had a higher fWAR than Fowler last year.

Like Fowler, his UZR numbers were a lot better in 2015 than they were the rest of his career, he also had a big surge in power last year. Not sure what to make of it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Like Fowler, his UZR numbers were a lot better in 2015 than they were the rest of his career, he also had a big surge in power last year. Not sure what to make of it.

There's a good interview with him somewhere where he detailed a concerted effort to increase his slugging and on base percentage, caring less about batting average. Kinda like what 6' 4'' 250 pound Avi Garcia should do.