So when we're right around .500 in July, what do we do?

ChiSoxJon

Sox have a lot of talent that can net a lot of return (Sale, Abreu, Frazier, Eaton, Quintana, Lawrie, Melky, Robertson) but are in MLB's toughest division with an under achieving cast year after year. If this doesn't change a fire sale should be in discussion as B/R pointed out, saying White Sox are next time to undergo full rebuild. If Sox do start rebuilding yet again this summer, who stays, who goes, and what is the return? Let's hope this isn't where we're headed.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Sox have a lot of talent that can net a lot of return (Sale, Abreu, Frazier, Eaton, Quintana, Lawrie, Melky, Robertson) but are in MLB's toughest division with an under achieving cast year after year. If this doesn't change a fire sale should be in discussion as B/R pointed out, saying White Sox are next time to undergo full rebuild. If Sox do start rebuilding yet again this summer, who stays, who goes, and what is the return? Let's hope this isn't where we're headed.

this will be the 2nd yr of a 3yr plan.

the real question should be, what would you do as a fan, if the sox does not add any more important pieces to fix this team, come ST???

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)

I don't think they would do a full rebuild til at least summer of 2017 in my opinion. But if I had to guess who would get moved if things are bad this summer: maybe a couple relievers, one of the catchers (if they're producing), Danks if a team wants rotation depth for a couple months (looking at a team like the Dodgers or Cardinals if there are injuries to their rotations).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
I don't think they would do a full rebuild til at least summer of 2017 in my opinion. But if I had to guess who would get moved if things are bad this summer: maybe a couple relievers, one of the catchers (if they're producing), Danks if a team wants rotation depth for a couple months (looking at a team like the Dodgers or Cardinals if there are injuries to their rotations).

a nice idea, but not unless the sox kicks in money for that salary.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
this will be the 2nd yr of a 3yr plan.

the real question should be, what would you do as a fan, if the sox does not add any more important pieces to fix this team, come ST???

I'm a Sox fan for life, for better or worse, just painful lately

That being said I don't want to add any big money FAs now, no one worthy of a pick or money that's left

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

That being said I don't want to add any big money FAs now, no one worthy of a pick or money that's left

I don't think there's anyone out there that will get "big money" depending on how one determines that phrase.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Yeah I know but at that point in the year it wouldn't be a lot. We did kick in cash to get rid of Dunn as well in 2014.

but damn it, i know i am going to sound really sappy here, and maybe some poster will have ammo to make fun, but i can see this team on the cusp of doing great things. esp if the sox will invest in an of'er and sp.

then i can see the domino effect happen towards the positive side.

damn it, the owners has to give in. the fans want it to happen, to make this team better.

sorry, mini rant there.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)

If we're not contending in July, Danks and LaRoche are the first to go, LaRoche has been shopped aggressively but I am patient on him still, Danks has been shopped in the past and I do not want him here in '17, so either get value for him or let him walk in the Fall.

I'm all for a '17 rotation of Sale-Fulmer-Q-Rodon-Johnson

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
If we're not contending in July, Danks and LaRoche are the first to go, LaRoche has been shopped aggressively but I am patient on him still, Danks has been shopped in the past and I do not want him here in '17, so either get value for him or let him walk in the Fall.

I'm all for a '17 rotation of Sale-Fulmer-Q-Rodon-Johnson

ahhh no offense intended, but i think Danks contract end at the end of the 2016 season. i may be wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
.500 at the deadline in this division likely has the Sox in contention.

i was thinking of this the other day,

in general the NL central and the AL central are the tops in each league.

looking at the AL, i wonder what kind of record a team needs to make the playoff???

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
Seems dumb. We already overhauled the roster the last few years. We're clearly on the upward climb. What's not to like?

I'm with you. JR isn't doing a full rebuild so the next best option is to replace players that aren't performing regardless of the Sox record come July 31. I hoping for Saladino to hit well enough to stick as the SS of the future so the Sox can move Anderson to CF in Charlotte to become the future CF of the Sox hopefully after the '16 season. Eventually Melky takes the DH role when LaRoche is gone and who knows, with a little luck Jacob May might hit well enough at Charlotte to eventually replace Melky in LF. Still need to find a power bat for RF and preferably left handed so maybe the Sox can find that at the deadline or next off season.

Despite the lack of signing a FA OF, the Sox made some really nice improvements so far this off season. I really like were they are right now and the direction they are headed. Imo, they aren't a contender yet but are much closer than they were when the season ended.

I think how the Sox react to this very reasonable scenario depends on how the rest of the AL is faring. If, as expected, there are 5-6 other teams with very similar records and not a lot above that (like 2-3 teams at 5-10 games over) then I would think they add. If, however, things stratify a bit more and the Sox are behind 4-5 teams for the wild card, the path is less clear. They could deal some small pieces and try to reload for next year, or ride it out and hope to get hot. Can't see them selling unless they really bomb out. Maybe next offseason if things go very badly.

Depends on how much we spend between now and Opening Day, for one thing.

Unless there are major injuries in the rotation and/or setbacks with Anderson and Fulmer, they're adding instead of subtracting, with everything pointing to a legit playoff run in August/Sept. and especially 2017.

LaRoche, Danks and relievers are the most obvious pieces to start with...Garcia or Sanchez might also be good change of scenery candidates, with Saladino fitting better than Sanchez into the utility role covering all three infield positions.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)

welcome of the club for life. but here is a chance to think about it, chg and go with the city fav child, the northsiders. less frustration involve.

if not, then you are doom like me and many others. :lol:

and i know you are not a newbie.

but for me, if i had to choose 2 position i would improve on now, i guess it would be the of'er and the SP.

the SS would be nice, but i can deal with SS and the DH as weak hitting or no hitting, and at SS, saladino will provide great Defense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm with you. JR isn't doing a full rebuild so the next best option is to replace players that aren't performing regardless of the Sox record come July 31. I hoping for Saladino to hit well enough to stick as the SS of the future so the Sox can move Anderson to CF in Charlotte to become the future CF of the Sox hopefully after the '16 season. Eventually Melky takes the DH role when LaRoche is gone and who knows, with a little luck Jacob May might hit well enough at Charlotte to eventually replace Melky in LF. Still need to find a power bat for RF and preferably left handed so maybe the Sox can find that at the deadline or next off season.

Despite the lack of signing a FA OF, the Sox made some really nice improvements so far this off season. I really like were they are right now and the direction they are headed. Imo, they aren't a contender yet but are much closer than they were when the season ended.

dang, you really thought this out...... many thanks and great work.

i would like to add, when all is said and done, the sox can get the payroll to their normal state, an addition of a key player occasionally via Fa list and then there will be a need to start talking about the pitching core. now i am looking at 2 yrs from now.