Are the Sox done?

ChiSox59

Are our White Sox done adding for the season? Are we going into the season with Avi in RF and Saladino at SS?

Here are the notable players that remain available:

Outfielders:

Dexter Fowler (QO)

Austin Jackson

Alex Rios

Marlon Byrd

David DeJesus

Chris Denorfia

Matt Joyce

Ryan Raburn

David Murphy

Grady Sizemore

Will Venable

Drew Stubbs

Shane Victorino

Delmon Young

Infielders:

Ian Desmond (QO)

Jimmy Rollins

Clint Barmes

Willie Bloomquist

Rickie Weeks

Alberto Callaspo

David Freese (not a fit)

DH/1B types:

Pedro Alvarez

Morneau

Casey McGehee

Starting Pitchers:

Yovani Gallardo (QO)

Chad Billingsly

Mark Buehrle

Jeremy Guthrie

Josh Johnson

Cliff Lee

Matt Latos

Tim Lincecum

Justin Masterson

Cory Luebke

Mike Minor

Alfredo Simon

I don't think Desmond is a long-term fit, so unless he is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal, I'd pass. I think the Sox aren't really all that interested and fully play to use Saladino as the bridge to Anderson, which I am fine with.

As has been discussed at length around here, one of Austin Jackson or Dexter Fowler makes too much sense. While I hate giving up the pick for Fowler, I think he's the best fit.

Venable, Joyce, DeJesus and Murphy all make varying degrees of sense as a platoon partner for Avi, but I prefer Avi be LaRoche's platoon partner and occasional OFer.

I'd still like to see the Sox bring in some more competition for the 5th spot, but at this point I think its 2 of EJ/Danks/Turner, and that's ok. Things just get very thin very quickly if an injury were to occur.

Thoughts? Any hidden gems? Its starting to get awfully thin out there.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Yadiel Hernandez.

Seems risky to wait on him. He's not holding his showcase until Feb 23, so if he is the plan and you miss out on him, you're left empty handed. Fowler and Jackson are surely gone by then (and most likely the 2nd tier guys).

Edited by ChiSox59

To me, Plan A is sign a full-time replacement for Avisail Garcia. This means Dexter Fowler or Austin Jackson. This is the shortest path to the largest improvement on the roster. Avisail Garcia can fight LaRoche and Cabrera for playing time -- if he's still got some upside in the tank, he'll still have an opportunity to show it.

Plan B is Matt Joyce/Shane Victorino/Will Venable as a strong-side platoon partner for Avi.

To me, Ian Desmond is outside of this discussion. I believe Ian Desmond becomes a player we should acquire if his price falls far enough, but I don't see it as an "instead of an OF" option. Garcia has been a sub-replacement level player and projects as a replacement-level player. The need to upgrade there remains whether or not you upgrade at SS first. The SS position is weak, but not nearly AS weak as RF, so it's a lower priority and one with fewer options, and one with options that come with high variance.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
To me, Plan A is sign a full-time replacement for Avisail Garcia. This means Dexter Fowler or Austin Jackson. This is the shortest path to the largest improvement on the roster. Avisail Garcia can fight LaRoche and Cabrera for playing time -- if he's still got some upside in the tank, he'll still have an opportunity to show it.

Plan B is Matt Joyce/Shane Victorino/Will Venable as a strong-side platoon partner for Avi.

To me, Ian Desmond is outside of this discussion. I believe Ian Desmond becomes a player we should acquire if his price falls far enough, but I don't see it as an "instead of an OF" option. Garcia has been a sub-replacement level player and projects as a replacement-level player. The need to upgrade there remains whether or not you upgrade at SS first. The SS position is weak, but not nearly AS weak as RF, so it's a lower priority and one with fewer options, and one with options that come with high variance.

Only hits righty now (platoon with LaRoche instead?)

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

Also, assuming Saladino could handle SS with solid defense, which is very likely, he'd have a much higher floor than Avi.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Only hits righty now (platoon with LaRoche instead?)

Oh, my bad -- I thought it was the other way around (only hits lefty). So strike him from the list.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Also, assuming Saladino could handle SS with solid defense, which is very likely, he'd have a much higher floor than Avi.

Yep, exactly.

I am fine with Garcia in right field. Plus I don't see the logic in signing a player to rotate with Laroche at DH. That just seems to be a waste of a roster spot. You can do the rotation between Abreu and Laroche and have someone fill in at 1B on occasion That changes of course if Laroche is traded, but I think thee is a good chance he rebounds in 2016 plus his glove is still gold. Signing another pitcher makes more sense at this point. I am not sure I see Desmond being signed because we want to keep working on talent for the farm system so no way do the Sox want to lose that pick. Same goes with signing Fowler. Who is the 4th or 5th OF'er and do we have someone in the system (other than Shuck)?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Seems risky to wait on him. He's not holding his showcase until Feb 23, so if he is the plan and you miss out on him, you're left empty handed. Fowler and Jackson are surely gone by then (and most likely the 2nd tier guys).

There is a good chance he isn't on an opening day roster

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 53s53 seconds ago Chicago, IL

One takeaway from this weekend: White Sox are not done. It was more than just general SoxFest talk.

Not saying there will definitely be a move or definitely a fit somewhere--Rick Hahn made that point. But they are working

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)

Anyone know if Saladino played fall/winter ball somewhere to work at SS???

The White Sox missed out on several big free agents and could certainly find a spot for Bruce on the roster in 2016 if only they still have the prospects to get him.

http://inningseaters.sportsblog.com/posts/...nnati-reds.html

I couldn't resist posting this because it made me laugh so hard when I read it. The writer is clearly delusional and forgot to take their meds today. :lol: