**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
^Got 'em

He got nothing. Not only did I say "typically", I did not buy Just Cause 3, the Humble Bundle is just that, a BUNDLE of games for 1 price (none of which I have even redeemed yet), and I actually skipped out on NHL this fall.

Womp womp.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 01:58 AM)
He got nothing. Not only did I say "typically", I did not buy Just Cause 3, the Humble Bundle is just that, a BUNDLE of games for 1 price (none of which I have even redeemed yet), and I actually skipped out on NHL this fall.

Womp womp.

Well, you talk about buying new games every other day to the point it's hilarious, so you're either lying then or now.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 01:58 AM)

Womp womp.

Calm down, nobody's being serious here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
Here's the clip.

Oh god, did they finally show footage at The Cell? One of their lead producers name is Nick and they have shown like 20 different stadiums, but not the Sox, despite Nick being a huge Sox fan. Was wondering if they were hiding the lack of new scoreboard in CF.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 12:04 AM)
Oh god, did they finally show footage at The Cell? One of their lead producers name is Nick and they have shown like 20 different stadiums, but not the Sox, despite Nick being a huge Sox fan. Was wondering if they were hiding the lack of new scoreboard in CF.

The new scoreboards aren't finished yet in-game but they're said to be working on it

Far Cry Primal is just ok so far. I really think they needed better combat, maybe something similar to the Assassins Creed games, instead of just running up to someone and stabbing them in the head with a spear 10x till they die. It is kind of fun riding around jousting people on a sabretooth tiger though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
Anyone grab The Division? Looked cool at E3 a couple of years ago. Haven't seen any reviews yet.

It's great. It's a game that I'm excited to get home and play, and when I'm not playing it, I badly want to be playing it. It's an addiction on a level that I haven't felt from a game in a few years. The size of the map is overwhelming and the world is detailed and beautiful. Gunplay is sharp, matchmaking is smooth and easy, and playing with friends and mixing and matching the options for skills keeps fights from getting repetitive.

I'm only 4 or 5 hours in so this doesn't constitute a full review or anything, and this is a game that's up my alley; it might not be up everyone else's. I'm wondering if I'll still feel compelled to play once I'm max level and have all the best equipment, but they've teased their post-release content schedule for the next year and it seems like they'll have a nice stream of new stuff coming out all the time.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
It's great. It's a game that I'm excited to get home and play, and when I'm not playing it, I badly want to be playing it. It's an addiction on a level that I haven't felt from a game in a few years. The size of the map is overwhelming and the world is detailed and beautiful. Gunplay is sharp, matchmaking is smooth and easy, and playing with friends and mixing and matching the options for skills keeps fights from getting repetitive.

I'm only 4 or 5 hours in so this doesn't constitute a full review or anything, and this is a game that's up my alley; it might not be up everyone else's. I'm wondering if I'll still feel compelled to play once I'm max level and have all the best equipment, but they've teased their post-release content schedule for the next year and it seems like they'll have a nice stream of new stuff coming out all the time.

Yeah, I like it a lot so far. I've only put in about 3 hours so far, but there seems to be a TON of stuff to do. Definitely recommend.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)
Ok, I REALLY need people to team up with in The Division. My buddy has played like 2 hours in the 10 days he has had the game, and the Dark Zone is impossible alone.

I haven't tried the DZ yet, but I'm level 26 in the game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 12:41 AM)
I haven't tried the DZ yet, but I'm level 26 in the game.

Holy s***, lvl 26?? How many hours do you have in? I probably free roam more than most people, but at like 14 hours in I am on level 12, and that's because I leveled up twice tonight doing 1 mission w/ random guys.

I grabbed it last weekend. Probably have about 10 hours into it and i'm level 10ish. I like the missions (though don't do what I did and waste and hour or two trying to solo a level 8 recommended mission at level 6...), but I agreed with a lot of the IGN review....it's not exactly an exciting environment. There's not enough random stuff that happens when running from place to place. And I can see how grinding for another 20 hours to get to level 30 is going to become a little boring since the AI is very repetitive.

Still, the missions are fun so far, the customization on weapons is fun. I like building up the various wings in the base. I just wish there was more random AI interference in the non-dark zone areas.

I haven't gone to the dark zone yet. Are you supposed to if you're low level? Or will you just get picked off immediately?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)
Holy s***, lvl 26?? How many hours do you have in? I probably free roam more than most people, but at like 14 hours in I am on level 12, and that's because I leveled up twice tonight doing 1 mission w/ random guys.

Like 20 hours. I've played the missions with others, so I more or less blow by them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
I grabbed it last weekend. Probably have about 10 hours into it and i'm level 10ish. I like the missions (though don't do what I did and waste and hour or two trying to solo a level 8 recommended mission at level 6...), but I agreed with a lot of the IGN review....it's not exactly an exciting environment. There's not enough random stuff that happens when running from place to place. And I can see how grinding for another 20 hours to get to level 30 is going to become a little boring since the AI is very repetitive.

Still, the missions are fun so far, the customization on weapons is fun. I like building up the various wings in the base. I just wish there was more random AI interference in the non-dark zone areas.

I haven't gone to the dark zone yet. Are you supposed to if you're low level? Or will you just get picked off immediately?

In regards to the AI being repetitive, as somebody who's level 30 and is in the endgame, the AI starts getting more aggressive and using more interesting tactics. They gain access to skills such as the ones you use.

The Dark Zone is gated, so if you go in as a level 10 you won't run into 30's. I'd recommend going in and trying it out a bit before you hit max level. The reason is that you have a separate DZ level that you need to purchase items in there. I waited until the end so I couldn't buy anything until I hit DZ level 30 and I just have tens of thousands of DZ credits burning a hole in my pocket.

There are serious balance issues in the Dark Zone. There's almost no reason to go rogue. Theoretically the main draw would be to take somebody's loot, but good stuff drops from AI so frequently that the chances of you getting something off a player that is better than what you already have equipped are pretty low. So you're left with the huge experience and DZ credit penalty when you die as a rogue. They need to lighten those penalties substantially, not just a little.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)

There's a game rank and a DZ rank. You'll get put into DZ1 if you're low level in the game. If you're higher level, you skip the lower level zones.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
In regards to the AI being repetitive, as somebody who's level 30 and is in the endgame, the AI starts getting more aggressive and using more interesting tactics. They gain access to skills such as the ones you use.

The Dark Zone is gated, so if you go in as a level 10 you won't run into 30's. I'd recommend going in and trying it out a bit before you hit max level. The reason is that you have a separate DZ level that you need to purchase items in there. I waited until the end so I couldn't buy anything until I hit DZ level 30 and I just have tens of thousands of DZ credits burning a hole in my pocket.

There are serious balance issues in the Dark Zone. There's almost no reason to go rogue. Theoretically the main draw would be to take somebody's loot, but good stuff drops from AI so frequently that the chances of you getting something off a player that is better than what you already have equipped are pretty low. So you're left with the huge experience and DZ credit penalty when you die as a rogue. They need to lighten those penalties substantially, not just a little.

That's music to my ears because I have 0 interest in going rogue, and I would be very pissed off if someone came after me for no reason. There should almost be an option like GTA 5 has called "passive mode" where you opt in to PvP or not. Maybe if you choose passive mode you have 25% less chance of finding a rare item or something like that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
That's music to my ears because I have 0 interest in going rogue, and I would be very pissed off if someone came after me for no reason. There should almost be an option like GTA 5 has called "passive mode" where you opt in to PvP or not. Maybe if you choose passive mode you have 25% less chance of finding a rare item or something like that.

I mean, the opt-in to PvP is the fact that there's a section of the map where PvP is allowed, and everywhere else has none. All the gear I use has come independent of the Dark Zone anyway, so it isn't necessary for the best stuff. The rogue system is one of the things that's unique about the game and something they pushed heavily before it came out. It's the most interesting thing about the DZ and it's potential is being wasted now.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
I mean, the opt-in to PvP is the fact that there's a section of the map where PvP is allowed, and everywhere else has none. All the gear I use has come independent of the Dark Zone anyway, so it isn't necessary for the best stuff. The rogue system is one of the things that's unique about the game and something they pushed heavily before it came out. It's the most interesting thing about the DZ and it's potential is being wasted now.

I understand, but another unique thing about the DZ in addition to rarer items is the idea of having to extract things, and the AI being much harder. I would have fun in the DZ doing the extraction process for valuable items and having to fight the AI to extract them WITHOUT the danger of worrying about other humans deciding to rob me.