2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to throw it out here now. Bears will draft Paxton Lynch @ 11 and will let him develop. Coincidence or not, Big Ben was the 3rd QB taken in the draft and was selected 11th overall by the Steelers.

Outside of QB, RB, and potentially CB, I don't really see a huge talent gap between who we'd get at 11 and who we'd get in the 2nd. Most of the dlinemen have potential issues and there isn't a standout pass rusher available either. I think Elliot, as much as I don't value taking backs early, would be a good pick and think highly of Hargraves, who might actually be there. That said, I think we go QB and Lynch is the perfect guy to groom for two years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
I'm going to throw it out here now. Bears will draft Paxton Lynch @ 11 and will let him develop. Coincidence or not, Big Ben was the 3rd QB taken in the draft and was selected 11th overall by the Steelers.

Outside of QB, RB, and potentially CB, I don't really see a huge talent gap between who we'd get at 11 and who we'd get in the 2nd. Most of the dlinemen have potential issues and there isn't a standout pass rusher available either. I think Elliot, as much as I don't value taking backs early, would be a good pick and think highly of Hargraves, who might actually be there. That said, I think we go QB and Lynch is the perfect guy to groom for two years.

Thing is, while I agree that talent from the 1st to the 2nd isn't that large, by taking a QB first round you're not just pushing back needs from round 1 to round 2, you're also pushing everything else back a round as well.

I'm all aboard drafting a QB in the first 4 rounds, but would prefer it to be in said 4th round.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
Thing is, while I agree that talent from the 1st to the 2nd isn't that large, by taking a QB first round you're not just pushing back needs from round 1 to round 2, you're also pushing everything else back a round as well.

I'm all aboard drafting a QB in the first 4 rounds, but would prefer it to be in said 4th round.

I think QB is the most valuable position in football and I think as an organization, you should leverage it and use the pick. I don't see any pick filling some major glaring need that gets us to a superbowl, but I do see a QB who is worthy of being a first round pick and who can be a difference maker (note I'm not saying he will be, but he can be) on the board at 11...I'm going with it. As an org, if I ran it, I'd probably end up drafting more QB's than other teams because it is such a key position and can be such a valuable asset. We need depth anyway behind Jay and know he's going to be gone sometime in the next 2-4 years. We are picking early and there aren't a ton of impact direct fits on our roster and we are getting essentially a 2nd first round pick thanks to White's return (plus had tons of money to leverage in FA, etc)....now is the absolute perfect time to draft a QB.

I don't want to have Jay out and than be sitting there going, we absolutely need to take a QB when the right fit isn't there. Lets take one now and our whole franchise isn't mortgaged to Lynch. He could bust like everyone else, but if he busted and we saw crap out of him the first year or two while he sat behind Jay, we'd know it and wouldn't necessarily have set ourselves back by multiple years of sucking with a horrible starter, we'd have lost a 1st round pick sure, but we could still recoup and be patient and find someone else without putting all your trust immediately in a young QB.

If the Pats or Packers could take a QB pretty early despite having an all time great around, I don't see why we couldn't. Some people are comparing this guy to a more athlete Phillip Rivers. Sign me up. If you don't have good QB play in this league, you are going to have a hard time consistently winning. Sure you could build an all time great defense, but that takes tons of parts and is pretty hard to do (I'd argue harder to do than good QB play).

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
AFter trashing Gabriel, I now want to link to this very good article by him :)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/04/07/gab...-a-draft-board/

Very good read. It is interesting that teams don't have guys on the board who maybe get varying grades (as in, we'll take him in this round, but not another round). I presume there must be some flexiblity to the extent the move down or I supose those guys are just on the board because they like them enough to draft, they just get rated lower on the list.

Video coming out showing that Will Smith may have hit Cardell Hayes hummer prior to being rear ended, and his lawyer alleging that there may have been more than one gun at the scene

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/new...tional-on-scene

The video shows Hayes abruptly stopping in the middle of the block in a (successful) attempt to get Smith to rear end him in order to give him an excuse to shoot him.

And of course the lawyer is alleging that there may have been more than one gun at the scene. It's something he can claim in court that the prosecution will have a hard time disproving.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
The video shows Hayes abruptly stopping in the middle of the block in a (successful) attempt to get Smith to rear end him in order to give him an excuse to shoot him.

And of course the lawyer is alleging that there may have been more than one gun at the scene. It's something he can claim in court that the prosecution will have a hard time disproving.

Of course it could also be a "total coincidence" that Smith had dinner with the cop that shot this guys dad and then somehow he killed Smith. just totally random.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Of course it could also be a "total coincidence" that Smith had dinner with the cop that shot this guys dad and then somehow he killed Smith. just totally random.

I don't think it was random, I just think there are some strange parts of the story. Hayes just sticking around and reportedly telling people to call the cops, instead of running.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
I don't think it was random, I just think there are some strange parts of the story. Hayes just sticking around and reportedly telling people to call the cops, instead of running.

Seems like he may have a little bit of experience with the legal system....

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)

He planned it all out and talking to the cops about what he says happened was part of his plan.

He planned it all out and talking to the cops about what he says happened was part of his plan.

I'd be curious to see phone records to see how many calls there were between Hayes and his attorney before this happened . . .

As I see it, Hayes clearly will admit to killing Smith, but will argue a multitude of different mitigating or absolving theories, such as self-defense (absolving), unreasonable belief of self-defense (mitigating), provocation (mitigating) and probably reckless homicide (mitigating). A lot will depend on the testimony of a Smith's wife but regardless, I highly doubt Hayes will come across as credible to successfully argue any of these defenses.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
As I see it, Hayes clearly will admit to killing Smith, but will argue a multitude of different mitigating or absolving theories, such as self-defense (absolving), unreasonable belief of self-defense (mitigating), provocation (mitigating) and probably reckless homicide (mitigating). A lot will depend on the testimony of a Smith's wife but regardless, I highly doubt Hayes will come across as credible to successfully argue any of these defenses.

I mean, how many suspended sentences does this guy already have, including firearm possession. At some point, your lawyer can only do so much.

2 weeks away from the most boring 12 hours that I am absolutely captivated by.

Seems incredibly difficult to pinpoint the Bears on this one, which is fun.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
2 weeks away from the most boring 12 hours that I am absolutely captivated by.

Seems incredibly difficult to pinpoint the Bears on this one, which is fun.

Oh yeah baby. It's my favorite non-sports sporting event on the calendar. Can't get enough.