2016-2017 NFL Thread

I'm fine with losing and more fine after White looked good. But yes, I am fairly concerned we have had 2 drafts without an impact talent. Losing Goldman hurts. I would really like to see Amos become more than a safe placeholder player. Losing is fine if there is flashes of talent (like 2000 bears), but when they are boring and bad it's worrying.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
I'm fine with losing and more fine after White looked good. But yes, I am fairly concerned we have had 2 drafts without an impact talent. Losing Goldman hurts. I would really like to see Amos become more than a safe placeholder player. Losing is fine if there is flashes of talent (like 2000 bears), but when they are boring and bad it's worrying.

Yep, this is where I am feeling uneasy. Totally okay with results but damn we have to see some guys that they drafted making some plays here.

I will give it some time before I totally start getting into my irate fandom.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)

We don't know whether White is going to be an impact player or not. He's coming back from missing a full year and probably still getting back into the flow of games.

I would have liked to see him catch one of those deep balls last night, but it's awfully hard to do against the schemes the Cowboys had in place (given the score) versus within the flow of a competitive game. I do agree in re: your comment about Will Fuller, however...but it's only been a few games...let's give it a bit more time.

I don't think you can evaluate this last draft yet based off of 3 games.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Because John Fox is a very conservative in-game coach.

I know...but the defense couldn't stop anything all night.

That was clearly a time to depart from traditional strategy based on information available at the time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
I know...but the defense couldn't stop anything all night.

That was clearly a time to depart from traditional strategy based on information available at the time.

Again, this is John Fox and the NFL we are talking about. Processing available information to depart from traditional strategy is not an option. Look how long it has taken to finally get coaches to go for it on 4th and inches.

In other news, there are some reports that Pace and Fox don't see as eye to eye as previously reported. In fact, some of the reports go as far as saying that Pace never wanted to hire Fox (he wanted Bowles) and Fox was forced by McCaskey's (at the recommendation of Ernie Ocorsi who suggested a veteran coach to counter Pace's inexperience). Also some reports that Fox struggles with discipline (evidently that was one of the matters that really irked Elway).

Obviously negative stories are going to come up around now and who knows how much truth there is to these reports.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Just another clown popping out of the car in this circus season.

I read on Fuller that there is more to this. He had been practicing fine and people were wondering why he wasn't actually playing (given how minor the scope was, etc). Even alluded to the fact that Fuller was a little irritated that he hadn't seen the field yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
In other news, there are some reports that Pace and Fox don't see as eye to eye as previously reported. In fact, some of the reports go as far as saying that Pace never wanted to hire Fox (he wanted Bowles) and Fox was forced by McCaskey's (at the recommendation of Ernie Ocorsi who suggested a veteran coach to counter Pace's inexperience). Also some reports that Fox struggles with discipline (evidently that was one of the matters that really irked Elway).

Obviously negative stories are going to come up around now and who knows how much truth there is to these reports.

I really think Fox is gone if this season goes as expected

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
I really think Fox is gone if this season goes as expected

Completely disagree. He gets a 3rd year regardless. Teams can't dump regimes after 2 years. It sets you back so much. I also don't expect a 2-3 win season. They'll bounce back and win 5-6 games.

I don't really understand all the hand wringing over the Bears. The majority of their fans are either Cubs or Sox fans. The Cubs tanked for several years. There are many Sox fans who want the Sox to do the same. The media seems to be totally on board for that type of tear down.

The Bears have dumped most of their high priced talent and older players, yet people can't deal with them losing. That said, it's brutal to watch at this point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
Completely disagree. He gets a 3rd year regardless. Teams can't dump regimes after 2 years. It sets you back so much. I also don't expect a 2-3 win season. They'll bounce back and win 5-6 games.

Yep. Fox is going nowhere. Honestly it would be ridiculous to fire him after two seasons with the state of the org being what it was when Fox and Pace came on board.

The thing that worries me the most is that you get the sense that their initial plan has gone totally off course of what they anticipated. How is an inexperienced GM going to handle so many failed results with his decisions so far?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
I don't really understand all the hand wringing over the Bears. The majority of their fans are either Cubs or Sox fans. The Cubs tanked for several years. There are many Sox fans who want the Sox to do the same. The media seems to be totally on board for that type of tear down.

The Bears have dumped most of their high priced talent and older players, yet people can't deal with them losing. That said, it's brutal to watch at this point.

Football is very different. Teams this devoid of talent can have trouble building because primes of players are so much shorter than baseball.