2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it's not Fox so much as the talent his GM has given him to work with? That and all the injuries, particularly to first and second round picks.

Did Leonard Floyd even play today? I do not remember his name being called.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Maybe it's not Fox so much as the talent his GM has given him to work with? That and all the injuries, particularly to first and second round picks.

Did Leonard Floyd even play today? I do not remember his name being called.

Injured.

I can't think of a QB I've watched who generates so much offensive volume but has so little impact on the game as Hoyer. I guess he is the perfect John Fox quarterback. He simply exists, and he doesn't really do much for the game positively or negatively. He's so god damn timid in the red zone, it's like he knows everyone notices he has no interceptions and as soon as he throws one the bubble will pop. He's just the latest guy to show up and milk the f*** out of Not Being Jay Cutler.

This was a vintage John Fox loss. Technically show up to play the game, do the minimum, allow yourself to lose. You just know that at the end of the game, Fox was playing for a field goal even though he had 2 minutes to score a touchdown.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
Gotta be some sort of injury with Rodgers, right?

Or just a complete loss of confidence.

He seemed much more indecisive in the pocket. Almost Cutler-like with some of his pump fakes.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
I can't think of a QB I've watched who generates so much offensive volume but has so little impact on the game as Hoyer. I guess he is the perfect John Fox quarterback. He simply exists, and he doesn't really do much for the game positively or negatively. He's so god damn timid in the red zone, it's like he knows everyone notices he has no interceptions and as soon as he throws one the bubble will pop. He's just the latest guy to show up and milk the f*** out of Not Being Jay Cutler.

This was a vintage John Fox loss. Technically show up to play the game, do the minimum, allow yourself to lose. You just know that at the end of the game, Fox was playing for a field goal even though he had 2 minutes to score a touchdown.

That said...you can still run a passing offense with Hoyer. He is alone with Josh McCown of true backups that you can run an offense with. *Shane Matthews/ Jim Miller don't count as that was not offense.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
That said...you can still run a passing offense with Hoyer. He is alone with Josh McCown of true backups that you can run an offense with. *Shane Matthews/ Jim Miller don't count as that was not offense.

McCown didn't play scared though. He just played. His production was definitely a bubble but it didn't matter. Hoyer seems like he's aware that he's in a bubble.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
McCown didn't play scared though. He just played. His production was definitely a bubble but it didn't matter. Hoyer seems like he's aware that he's in a bubble.

I mean, he's a backup though. I don't want Hoyer to be a longterm starter, but I'm content with the org taking the opportunity of this season to truly tank and make a clean break into new era.

But, for what we paid him to do, Hoyer is good. I mean, we've seen Claussen, Hanie, I don't even remember the guy who Hanie replaced. Todd Collins? Jason Campbell was crap when I thought he would be best backup we've had when he signed.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)

Again, it is easy to manage a game between the 20s when you have the entire field to concern a defense with. Once you are inside the 20, and the windows tighten, it takes some physical ability to make something happen. That is why Brian Hoyer isn't going to do much with this team. Sure you could put Hoyer on the field with a historic Bears defense, and he would win you 12 or 13 games, maybe even a Super Bowl. Put Brian Hoyer on the field with a historically mediocre defense, and you get 1-5.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
I mean, he's a backup though. I don't want Hoyer to be a longterm starter, but I'm content with the org taking the opportunity of this season to truly tank and make a clean break into new era.

But, for what we paid him to do, Hoyer is good. I mean, we've seen Claussen, Hanie, I don't even remember the guy who Hanie replaced. Todd Collins? Jason Campbell was crap when I thought he would be best backup we've had when he signed.

I think I'm talking about the "he's thrown 300+ in all his games and has no turnovers" with all the implications that has when people mention it. People are giving that importance that it doesn't have.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Yeah, and cherry on top was losing due to falling from turf

I thought that loss was about perfect and summed up the team nicely. We don't have playmakers to get touchdowns in the red zone and in the end we don't have enough talent to disrupt on the defensive side of the ball either. I would have hated a garbage win and it was an acceptable loss (I.e., we didn't get totally burried). The coaching definitely resulted in part of that loss. I don't know what the hell we were doing in that two minute drill at the end of the first half (did we think we had all the time in the world...that was really poorly executed).

What was going on with Howard getting a lot less attempts? Just more about Carey playing well in some spurts (other then that costly drop on 3rd down).