2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
But the Patriots are good without him. The Packers are garbage without Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers is a better quarterback and more valuable player.

That means Belicheck is a better GM than Thompson and is able to assemble a better team around him, it doesn't make Rodgers clearly better than Brady

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
That means Belicheck is a better GM than Thompson and is able to assemble a better team around him, it doesn't make Rodgers clearly better than Brady

Let's say the two switch teams. Does Brady put up better numbers than Rodgers on the Packers and vice versa does Rodgers put up worse numbers than Brady on the Patriots? Rodgers is already the highest rated passer in NFL history by a substantial margin (and this doesn't even account for his well above average rushing abilities). Statistically speaking from an individual standpoint, he's in a league of his own.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
Let's say the two switch teams. Does Brady put up better numbers than Rodgers on the Packers and vice versa does Rodgers put up worse numbers than Brady on the Patriots? Rodgers is already the highest rated passer in NFL history by a substantial margin (and this doesn't even account for his well above average rushing abilities). Statistically speaking from an individual standpoint, he's in a league of his own.

Who knows, it's entirely hypothetical. rodgers is a great qb and so is Brady, that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)

Not really. Brady has clearly been better the last two years and he's 6 years older. Rodgers is sick. Don't get me wrong. But Brady is damn near 40 doing what he's doing. I want to see Rodgers dominating like this at 37, 38, and 39.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
Chip Kelly out in SF, Mike McCoy out in SD

Soon to be LA Chargers. I wonder if Phillip Rivers just ends up retiring. He flat out doesn't want to live in LA with his 8 kids as he's stated multiple times, that's not a place to raise your children.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Not really. Brady has clearly been better the last two years and he's 6 years older. Rodgers is sick. Don't get me wrong. But Brady is damn near 40 doing what he's doing. I want to see Rodgers dominating like this at 37, 38, and 39.

Ok, but over the course of their careers Rodgers has been better from a statistical standpoint and it's not that close really. I'm talking individual accomplishments, not team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
And I'm sorry. You can't be the greatest at anything with only 1 sb title. MJ is not the consensus GOAT with only 1 title. No matter what the numbers say. Brady should be 6/6 in SBs and will probably win it again this year.

Haha. Should be 6 for 6? So he should have won the two one score losses but he couldn't have lost the 4 one score victories.

Rings matter but it's way different than the NBA, one player can only do so much. Peyton finally won a 2nd ring when he couldn't throw the ball past 15 yards.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
Haha. Should be 6 for 6? So he should have won the two one score losses but he couldn't have lost the 4 one score victories.

Rings matter but it's way different than the NBA, one player can only do so much. Peyton finally won a 2nd ring when he couldn't throw the ball past 15 yards.

QB is the most important position on the field but even then they can only carry a team so far. Still need the other 21 starters to perform. Rodgers has been a victim of a poor Packers defense for most of his career. Only twice have the Packers had a defense that ranked in the top 10 in points allowed and one of those years Rodgers won a ring. By comparison, Brady has had a defense ranked in top 10 in points allowed 11 times over the course of his career. Brady has played on far better teams, it's no wonder he has more rings. Doesn't make him the better player though.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
Ok, but over the course of their careers Rodgers has been better from a statistical standpoint and it's not that close really. I'm talking individual accomplishments, not team.

And if Rodgers does this at 37, 38 and 39 we can talk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

Please. The Tyree catch and the choke by whatever WR that was are infamous. Find me single plays in any of Brady wins to rival those two epic flukes.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
QB is the most important position on the field but even then they can only carry a team so far. Still need the other 21 starters to perform. Rodgers has been a victim of a poor Packers defense for most of his career. Only twice have the Packers had a defense that ranked in the top 10 in points allowed and one of those years Rodgers won a ring. By comparison, Brady has had a defense ranked in top 10 in points allowed 11 times over the course of his career. Brady has played on far better teams, it's no wonder he has more rings. Doesn't make him the better player though.

By your logic Garnett > Duncan. When you're great, you win even when you have no business winning. Tom Brady is a lock to win his 5th title. Keep up with your lame hypotheticals.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)

Please. The Tyree catch and the choke by whatever WR that was are infamous. Find me single plays in any of Brady wins to rival those two epic flukes.

By your logic Garnett > Duncan. When you're great, you win even when you have no business winning. Tom Brady is a lock to win his 5th title. Keep up with your lame hypotheticals.

By your logic, Terry Bradshaw = Tom Brady. You know because they have the same number of rings.

Rodgers has a higher passer rating, completion %, YPA, passing TD/INT, rushing yards and rushing TD. Basically leads every individual statistical category outside of longevity stats like total passing yards, TD, etc. Barring injury, he will have the edge in those as well in time.

http://m.espn.com/nfl/playerseasonstats?se...39&teamId=0

http://m.espn.com/nfl/playerseasonstats?se...30&teamId=0

Brady choked in 2007. Patriots had their lowest scoring game of the entire season against the Giants and Brady put up a 82.5 passer rating(Eli had an 87.3). Patriots let the Giants hang around mostly because Brady couldn't get it going and eventually paid the price. Get out of here with the "should be 6/6 crap"....Brady is not even close to deserving of that title and he knows it.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
Brady choked in 2007. Patriots had their lowest scoring game of the entire season against the Giants and Brady put up a 82.5 passer rating(Eli had an 87.3). Patriots let the Giants hang around mostly because Brady couldn't get it going and eventually paid the price. Get out of here with the "should be 6/6 crap"....Brady is not even close to deserving of that title and he knows it.

I also find it odd that the common perception is Brady is a terrific postseason performer while Rodgers is not. Their individual statistics say differently as Brady has a career postseason passer rating of 88 to Rodgers' 98. Rodgers better there too

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)

So longevity and being old is a criteria for the HOF? Julio Franco is a lock for the baseball HOF then.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
So longevity and being old is a criteria for the HOF? Julio Franco is a lock for the baseball HOF then.

Uh, being excellent when you are old is probably the number one thing needed to be in hall of fame.

They're both locks for the HoF, so just leave that be.

I'd say they are both incredible, and I'd add Peyton to this list as well.

They are all different quarterbacks, amazing in their own ways, and I consider myself lucky to have been able to watch pretty much all of their careers (obviously Aaron still has a ways to go).

They are both amazing, and both had times where the talent around them slipped and people asked whether they were on decline only to see them post another dominant year. That and their bad years are still typically top ten in league.

edit: That said, Brady's longevity does matter and for last decade Brady has had a WR crew that has looked a lot like Green Bays last year.

Rodgers at his peak is the best I've ever seen but it's hard to compare their careers since Brady has been around so much longer. And uhh J4L did you forget about the Seahawks throwing the ball on the 1 yd line? It's silly to say he should be 6 for 6.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
They are both amazing, and both had times where the talent around them slipped and people asked whether they were on decline only to see them post another dominant year. That and their bad years are still typically top ten in league.

edit: That said, Brady's longevity does matter and for last decade Brady has had a WR crew that has looked a lot like Green Bays last year.

I have yet to see a former GB receiver excel outside of GB during Aaron's tenure. Same can't be said for Brady. Moss and Welker were both studs for other teams and obv Gronk would be a stud anywhere (when he's healthy). Outside of Jordy, I'm not convinced Rodgers has ever worked with an elite WR. He makes guys like Davonte Adams look like top receivers when really he's just another guy on a team like the Bears. This is another myth that Rodgers has all these great receivers while Brady has nothing. Any one happen to catch how great these stud receivers were when Scott Tolzein and Matt Flynn were starting at QB a few years ago?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 07:42 PM)
I have yet to see a former GB receiver excel outside of GB during Aaron's tenure. Same can't be said for Brady. Moss and Welker were both studs for other teams and obv Gronk would be a stud anywhere (when he's healthy). Outside of Jordy, I'm not convinced Rodgers has ever worked with an elite WR. He makes guys like Davonte Adams look like top receivers when really he's just another guy on a team like the Bears. This is another myth that Rodgers has all these great receivers while Brady has nothing. Any one happen to catch how great these stud receivers were when Scott Tolzein and Matt Flynn were starting at QB a few years ago?

I'm confident Randall Cobb is pretty solid.

Edited by iamshack

Donald Driver was a very good WR. Greg Jennings in his prime would've been good anywhere, age just caught up with him. Jordy Nelson is a good WR that plays like a great WR because of his chemistry with Rodgers. Randall Cobb is a useful NFL player, or at least has been the last few years.

If you want to make an argument for Rodgers doing less than more it would be the fact that the the best RB he's ever had behind him is Ryan Grant.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Donald Driver was a very good WR. Greg Jennings in his prime would've been good anywhere, age just caught up with him. Jordy Nelson is a good WR that plays like a great WR because of his chemistry with Rodgers. Randall Cobb is a useful NFL player, or at least has been the last few years.

If you want to make an argument for Rodgers doing less than more it would be the fact that the the best RB he's ever had behind him is Ryan Grant.

Right, and funny thing about wide receivers that leave for free agency, they tend to go to poor passing teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
I'm confident Randall Cobb is pretty solid.

Cobb is pretty solid but by no means an elite receiver. That was very apparent last season when Jordy went down. He's a solid slot receiver but nothing special and has really been a disappointment over the last two seasons.