2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
I hope teams like the Bears signing ILB helps Darron Lee fall in the draft a little bit. He is starting to become my favorite player in this draft.

Reggie Ragland as well.

I feel the exact opposite about Ragland.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
I feel the exact opposite about Ragland.

He doesn't have the speed in coverage like Lee, but probably does everything else better.

Sure tackler, great pass rusher from the middle or outside. Also great against the run.

He fits the Packers well because they rarely ask their ILB to cover man to man, so would be dropping into zone coverage more.

Also Ragland was the QB of that Alabama defense. Which is a very complicated defense. He starts from day 1 in the NFL.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Yeah, I could see him going that early. He is one of the guys that people don't know where he will be drafted. Some say early first round and some late first round.

All the D linemen in the draft are jumbled up and could end up going anywhere. One of my personal favorites is Vernon Butler. I look at nearly every draft and he barely shows up in the first round, and I think that's just wrong. After Bosa and Buckner, I have Butler and Reed neck and neck for the 3rd best DL. People will call it a reach, but I really wouldn't mind if the Bears grabbed Butler at 11 either.

@ByRyanWood

BREAKING: B.J. Raji plans to retire from football, per source with knowledge of his plans. #Packers are aware of his decision.

Raji really had an up and down career, but we will always have that INT in the playoffs.

I have to say I am enjoying this whole FA period and leading up to the draft as far as the Bears are concerned. They may be pretty mediocre next season but I knew coming into it after they started this rebuild that it would be times like this that I should look forward to. The speculation, the FA additions, the trades (hopefully), and the drafts. There are a lot of moving parts right now and it is really interesting as a fan sitting back a watching it unfold. You get an idea of what coach Fox and Pace are thinking as the overall picture starts to get clearer and clearer.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
I have to say I am enjoying this whole FA period and leading up to the draft as far as the Bears are concerned. They may be pretty mediocre next season but I knew coming into it after they started this rebuild that it would be times like this that I should look forward to. The speculation, the FA additions, the trades (hopefully), and the drafts. There are a lot of moving parts right now and it is really interesting as a fan sitting back a watching it unfold. You get an idea of what coach Fox and Pace are thinking as the overall picture starts to get clearer and clearer.

It's just really nice to have faith in the people running the organization. They have a plan and they're executing, it doesn't feel like the rudderless ship of previous administration(s).

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)

I'd be pretty disappointed if this team was mediocre next year. Good linebackers, good rush linebackers, a QB, two young RB's who run hard, White will be back. Also, check their opponents. They will be unlucky to win less than 10 games

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
It's just really nice to have faith in the people running the organization. They have a plan and they're executing, it doesn't feel like the rudderless ship of previous administration(s).

Between the Blackhawks and Cubs, and now the Bears and Illinois football, it's weird to see so much vision and reason for optimism in the local front offices. (Hope to add White Sox to that list soon )

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Zach Miller's back on a 2 year deal.

Pace has done some amazing work this off season so far.

Grab a S or CB and then some depth guys, then just address everything else in the draft.

My top guys would be Brandon Boykin and Tony Jefferson.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
I'd be pretty disappointed if this team was mediocre next year. Good linebackers, good rush linebackers, a QB, two young RB's who run hard, White will be back. Also, check their opponents. They will be unlucky to win less than 10 games

The schedule this year for the NFC North is the complete opposite of last year.

Packers toughest non division road opponent is probably the Redskins. Last year they played the two super bowl teams on the road back to back.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
The schedule this year for the NFC North is the complete opposite of last year.

Packers toughest non division road opponent is probably the Redskins. Last year they played the two super bowl teams on the road back to back.

I know the league can change drastically from year to year, but I would have to imagine the AFC South is the easiest matchup of the 4 AFC divisions.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
I know the league can change drastically from year to year, but I would have to imagine the AFC South is the easiest matchup of the 4 AFC divisions.

Also they play the NFC East. I don't really see any of those teams making a huge jump in play. Cowboys could be ok if Romo stays healthy.

If you had to pick the worst division in each conference in would probably be AFC South and NFC East.

Also they play the NFC East. I don't really see any of those teams making a huge jump in play. Cowboys could be ok if Romo stays healthy.

If you had to pick the worst division in each conference in would probably be AFC South and NFC East.

Yes, schedule sets up very nice for NFC North this year. I figure that the NFC East and South get only champions into the playoffs. That should leave ARI, SEA, GB, MIN and CHI fighting for 4 spots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 42m42 minutes ago

TE Zach Miller says QB Jay Cutler was one of the biggest reasons he wanted to come back to the #Bears.

Hopefully Cutler continues to be good, because the Bears are essentially out of the weeds on his contract. Really good to see players recognize his strong performance last season.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 28m28 minutes ago

Base value of #Bears TE Zach Miller contract is $5.5 million with $3 million guaranteed and a $1 million signing bonus.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 26m26 minutes ago

Zach Miller has $1.5M base salary this year, $1M signing bonus, $500K roster bonus due March 18 & $500K roster if he's on field for 16 games

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 25m25 minutes ago

Miller has up to $1M in bonuses in 2016 & 2017 tied to playing time, receptions, receiving yards and TDs.

Ryan Pace continues to do work this off season.

Now go get S Tony Jefferson or CB Brandon Boykin

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
there is not one deal that Pace has made this offseason that i have thought "Damn, that is an overpay"

I agree. The only deal I thought "eh" was Porter's deal, but he doesn't have much guaranteed money and he provides good depth. Seems to fit in Fangio's defense real well too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
there is not one deal that Pace has made this offseason that i have thought "Damn, that is an overpay"

And I think Miller was likely thinking he would have got more out there considering the market for TE but with that injury history and the fact he is 30 he just wasnt able to cash in big.

Pace is making moves that people will say went under the radar after it plays out. Nothing flashy besides Trevathan and even he didnt get an eye popping amount.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Chandler Jones traded to Arizona for G Jonathan Cooper and a 2nd round pick

Wow. The Cardinals needed a pass rusher, and sure got a good one. It's always crazy seeing a blockbuster deal in the NFL since they are so rare.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Wow. The Cardinals needed a pass rusher, and sure got a good one. It's always crazy seeing a blockbuster deal in the NFL since they are so rare.

I read a Pats message board and it seems like Jones wants a HUGE deal and Kraft and Belichick agreed that they won't be giving him the deal he wants

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
I agree. The only deal I thought "eh" was Porter's deal, but he doesn't have much guaranteed money and he provides good depth. Seems to fit in Fangio's defense real well too.

Porter's deal is essentially a 1 year deal. The one I wasn't a fan of was Massie. He's nothing more than average