2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
2 weeks away from the most boring 12 hours that I am absolutely captivated by.

Seems incredibly difficult to pinpoint the Bears on this one, which is fun.

That's because they have so many needs, they can truly wait to see what everyone else does and select the best player available. I don't think there is any position where they can't justify drafting.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah this seems to be the first year where I have zero clue what they're going to do in the first round.

All the experts are saying OLB, but it's possible with Houston and Young being productive they just stick with that.

Safety appears to be a need, but Rolle was pretty solid when healthy and after giving him a 3 year deal I wouldn't be shocked to see him start with a mid rounder behind him. Outside of Ramsey there are no 1st round safety prospects anyway.

I kinda thought Porter played well, but advanced stats disagree with that. A corner appears to be high priority. Hargreaves might be there in the first but is this whole "Fangio only wants big corners" thing true or is it moreso he wants aggressive press corners which is what Hargreaves is. Do they consider "Reaching" for Jackson or Apple who fit more of the narrative?

Leno is another guy I thought played well but advanced stats hated. Could they look to see if he can improve? If Stanley and Tunsil are gone, do they view Conklin or Decker as LT's??

What do they think of Ego Ferguson? Did Unrein play well enough to consider him for a bigger role? What is Cornellous Washington? Sutton looked good in preseason but barely noticeable in season. With this drafts depth at high end DL talent I would prefer they erase all those questions and draft a go like Vernon Butler or Chris Jones in the 2nd.

With them looking to sign CJ Anderson, do they take Zeke if he's there at 11?

Is this the year they take a QB in the 1st to groom for the future?( kind of hope not)

Can they find a trade down partner?( I prefer this route)

Gonna be interesting. Can't wait.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah this seems to be the first year where I have zero clue what they're going to do in the first round.

All the experts are saying OLB, but it's possible with Houston and Young being productive they just stick with that.

Safety appears to be a need, but Rolle was pretty solid when healthy and after giving him a 3 year deal I wouldn't be shocked to see him start with a mid rounder behind him. Outside of Ramsey there are no 1st round safety prospects anyway.

I kinda thought Porter played well, but advanced stats disagree with that. A corner appears to be high priority. Hargreaves might be there in the first but is this whole "Fangio only wants big corners" thing true or is it moreso he wants aggressive press corners which is what Hargreaves is. Do they consider "Reaching" for Jackson or Apple who fit more of the narrative?

Leno is another guy I thought played well but advanced stats hated. Could they look to see if he can improve? If Stanley and Tunsil are gone, do they view Conklin or Decker as LT's??

What do they think of Ego Ferguson? Did Unrein play well enough to consider him for a bigger role? What is Cornellous Washington? Sutton looked good in preseason but barely noticeable in season. With this drafts depth at high end DL talent I would prefer they erase all those questions and draft a go like Vernon Butler or Chris Jones in the 2nd.

With them looking to sign CJ Anderson, do they take Zeke if he's there at 11?

Is this the year they take a QB in the 1st to groom for the future?( kind of hope not)

Gonna be interesting. Can't wait.

I don't think trading down should really be an option. They need impact players. They can find good players in FA as they have done. Impact players are too expensive for FA and hurt the team in the long term. But to be a championship caliber team, they need to draft the impact players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
Anyone going to Draft Town this year? I heard it was pretty awesome last year, very interactive

I went last year, it was a good time since the weather was great. They definitely had things to do but with the amount of people there the lines got pretty long to do anything.

Definitely worthwhile to checkout, grab a beer, enjoy the lakefront and event.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
I don't think trading down should really be an option. They need impact players. They can find good players in FA as they have done. Impact players are too expensive for FA and hurt the team in the long term. But to be a championship caliber team, they need to draft the impact players.

I do. I think there are like 8 studs. Most players 15-50 are similar so trading down makes sense. There's a definite scenario where it'd be best case. Lets say for example the top 10 is: Tunsil OT, Ramsey S, Wentz QB, Goff QB, Jack LB, Stanley OT, Buckner DL, Elliott RB, Bosa DL, Hargreaves CB.

That scenario probably leaves Edge Rusher Shaq Lawson as best case scenario for Bears. Guys like A'Shawn Robinson and Leonard Floyd are flawed and not worth #11. William Jackson is probably the next best CB ( Fits Fangio mold, has met with Bears) but probably is a reach at #11. There are also some OTs available but I'm not sure if they can play LT and that's only spot on Bears OL open. Trading down could be the best case scenario but it's not always very likely.

Right - I don't see the scenario where a team sees 11 as attractive for the bears to get a deal. If they get a good deal they should definitely do it in this draft.

Looking at teams behind them, no idea why any of them would hop over the teams around them. Even if QBs fall...the rams are the only serious threat behind bears for 10 spots.

Yeah, the 11 spot looks very meh. I do doubt that it happens, but if they could move down to 15 or 20, I think you're gonna get about the same level of player at 11. Plus adding a pick or 2 in a trade down situation is always nice.

Zeke, Stanley, and Hargreaves are the only 3 guys who MIGHT fall out of the top 10 and you MIGHT be able to call them impact players.

Down around 15 you're talking about guys like William Jackson, Eli Apple, Conklin/Decker, a million different defensive linemen, maybe Paxton Lynch if they wanna go that route, a number of OLBs if they wanna go that route......From a need/BPA perspective trading down makes a lot of sense to me. Not sure they'll find that partner though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Do the Bears have the leverage needed to trade down and get multiple draft picks if their guy isn't there in the top 12?

That's what we're saying. There doesn't appear to be a good trade down partner.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
That's what we're saying. There doesn't appear to be a good trade down partner.

This is where it may help if one of the QBs drop, hopefully someone is targeting them and wants to move up to grab them. That's a lot of ifs though.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
This is where it may help if one of the QBs drop, hopefully someone is targeting them and wants to move up to grab them. That's a lot of ifs though.

But to who? The rams are only team in need of a QB (unless saints make the jump), and the teams around the Rams are unlikely drafters of a QB>

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Do the Bears have the leverage needed to trade down and get multiple draft picks if their guy isn't there in the top 12?

I think the question would be what player is there that a team would want to move up for. My only answer would be a QB (if a team wanted to move up for it). Given the talent after top 8 or so picks drops off and you have a glut of guys with similar ratings (based upon consensus reports), it would seem that the most probably scenario would be a team like the Rams potentially moving up to secure a QB who had fell (or being afraid someone else above them would grab Lynch, if that is who they'd want). I suppose maybe a team could target Treadwell or Ezekiel if they were there at the Bears pick and they needed to move a few slots to secure it. I can't imagine any major moves.

If we could move down a few spots, I would do it in a heart beat as I don't anticipate much difference between 12 and 15th or 16th given the plethora of needs. I do kind of hope that Hargraves is there as I think he's just a good pure corner and we could use it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
But to who? The rams are only team in need of a QB (unless saints make the jump), and the teams around the Rams are unlikely drafters of a QB>

You'd need a thread of say the Jets being interested and potentially moving up and thus pressuring the Rams.

Vernon Butler and Chris Jones invited to the draft. Most mocks have them going in the 2nd but I think they're going to surprise some people by how high they go. I hope one of em makes it to the Bears 2nd pick though. One of those 2 paired with Goldman and Hicks I is a massive front 3 that would make life easy on the LBs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)

Absolutely but it's hard to see it happening. Hopefully a team likes a certain player and makes the move. Bears need talent and collecting multiple picks where the talent is pretty equal after the top 8 (arguably 10) is essential. I'm also good with swapping picks with the Jets and getting Wilkerson too. :D