2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
So did Ryan Pace just use PFF's draft board? Every pick after Floyd was seen by them as a steal, Braverman was #62 on their board and they got him at #230.

Pace is definitely an advanced stats guy. Every one of the picks grades out well in a PFF's stat except for Hall.

Bears had an excellent draft. Ryan Pace is good at this drafting thing. I didn't love the Floyd pick. It was great from there on out though. The Bears front 7 is: Goldman, Bullard, Hicks, Trevathan, Freeman, Floyd, and McPhee. Added 3 pieces in the secondary, a tackling machine at ILB that will be great on ST. Whitehair wasn't an immediate need but was incredible value where he was taken. Bears should have one of best guard tandems in the league going forward. Jordan Howard was a great pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he's their lead back but Howard/Langford is very solid. Daniel Braverman was one of my favorite players in the class. I think he's a legit starting slot WR at some point. They cleaned up today. They also signed some UDFA's that people are very high on that could have easily been drafted.

amazing how much the bears defense has changed in just over 12 months. only guy they really have left from the tucker regime is fuller. They have a really nice blend of veterans and young guys at most positions.

Not a comprehensive list, but core guys/rotation players listed below. Biggest upgrade has been LB where last years starters may not even really be rotation guys

Defensively, still a need at CB and depth on DE

Offensively, still could use a TE and another tackle, though whitehair and Long could play there in a pinch. If someone goes down on the OL, you at least have a guy at each position who can fill in that has played there before

DE: Bullard, Sutton,

NT: Goldman, hicks?

DE: Hicks, ferguson, unrein

OLB: McPhee, Houston

ILB: Trevathan, Kwiatkowski, Acho, Anderson

ILB: Freeman, Christan Jones, Timu

OLB: Floyd, Young

CB: Fuller, Callahan,

SS: Rolle, Bush, prosinski

FS: Amos, Houston-Carson, Jones-quartey

CB: Porter, Hall, McManis

LT: Leno, Long?

LG: Slauson/Ramirez, Whitehair

C: Ramirez/Slauson, Grassu

LG: Long

LT: Massie

QB: Cutler, Hoyer, Fales

RB: Howard (2 down), Langford (3rd down), Carey, Rodgers (not sure Rodgers has much of a role anymore)

TE: Miller, ?Lee?

WR: Jeffery, White, Wilson, Royal, Braverman, Mariani, Bellamy/Meredith

That team can compete for the playoffs, especially with their easy schedule

I love what Ryan Pace has done with this team in a short amount of time. I think 8-8 next year is a very reasonable goal, and I would not be surprised to see more if everything clicks. I am still concerned about the secondary. We have a nice infusion of young players, but we still do not have impact players there. I hope they sign Whitner. He could be a nice stop-gap player to bridge 1-2 years before these rookies are ready for full-time roles.

And Slauson looks like he has been released, as well. That one is tough to understand. Was not making a ton of money and still a valuable player. I know we drafted Whitehair and signed Larsen/Ramirez, but none of them are as good as Slauson.

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 8s8 seconds ago

Spoke w/ a source about the Matt Slauson cut & cited health concerns for the reason for cut. #Bears

Makes the Slauson cut more understandable.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Rolle and Slauson released.

I know they drafted Whitehair and brought in a ton of depth for the interior but releasing Slauson is kind of baffling. Only rationale I can think of is he's not the fleetest of foot and they wanted more athleticism out of the position(like Long).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
Well, they're all still undrafted, right?

lol. I started going over it and im like "John Timu? Bryce Callahan? What?"

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Curious to see how the Browns draft from this year turns out. 14 players taken and added a bunch of picks for future years.

very smart of them to just take as many players as they can. Even though they are the Browns, they cant strike out on every player. I think. Maybe.

right?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
very smart of them to just take as many players as they can. Even though they are the Browns, they cant strike out on every player. I think. Maybe.

right?

I mean it's probably not out of the question for that team. Either that or Carson Wentz ends up being a hall of fame QB and they passed on him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
I mean it's probably not out of the question for that team. Either that or Carson Wentz ends up being a hall of fame QB and they passed on him.

Add to that, they've actually had lots of draft picks recently and just don't seem to find talent.

This will now host all NFL talk with the draft ending.

I'm torn on Slauson, but I do feel like Pace is operating the franchise like he has a plan, is using his coaches toward that plan, and are on the same page.

It might all fail if they effed up this draft and last, but this is the way I like to see a franchise operate.

Slauson was the best FA signing of Emery's career.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 2, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
This will now host all NFL talk with the draft ending.

I'm torn on Slauson, but I do feel like Pace is operating the franchise like he has a plan, is using his coaches toward that plan, and are on the same page.

It might all fail if they effed up this draft and last, but this is the way I like to see a franchise operate.

Slauson was the best FA signing of Emery's career.

I don't get why they released Matt Slauson. It's not like they were up against the cap. Slauson was pretty good last year. Now you just handed the job to a rookie. At least them battle it out.

Bears left side of the line is now Leno and Whitehair.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
I don't get why they released Matt Slauson. It's not like they were up against the cap. Slauson was pretty good last year. Now you just handed the job to a rookie. At least them battle it out.

Bears left side of the line is now Leno and Whitehair.

The thing is there were already rumors of slauson being traded after signing Ted Larson. Somethings going on. Rumors have been both they don't think he was a scheme fit and injury concerns.

KC Chiefs with yet another solid draft. I'm stoked about Chris Jones because he's going to be a force inside for years to come.

The only pick I didn't like was late in the draft they took a returner that is a piece of s***. Beat his pregnant girlfriend awhile back. That's not a good look for the team considering they just had a player in 2012 kill his girfriend and himself. Other than that nonsense, it was a good draft.

This team is absolutely loaded on defense. Going to need it because Smith won't win us s***. Going to have to pull a Denver this year.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 2, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
CB Chris Culliver got released by the Redskins today. I could see the Bears going after him for some veteran presence in the secondary. At worst, camp competition.

Assuming he's healthy i think it's be a real solid pickup. Still only 27.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 1, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
And Slauson looks like he has been released, as well. That one is tough to understand. Was not making a ton of money and still a valuable player. I know we drafted Whitehair and signed Larsen/Ramirez, but none of them are as good as Slauson.

Makes the Slauson cut more understandable.

Damn. Slauson was dependable.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 2, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
Assuming he's healthy i think it's be a real solid pickup. Still only 27.

He's coming off a second ACL tear in 3 years. Been pretty underwhelming his whole career and has character questions (Pace has been very adament about that). But he does know Fangio's system (pretty good with him as a young player) so I could see it.