2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Brad Biggs was saying on the radio this morning that even the Packer players are curious and looking for some sort of explanation as to why a guy like Sitton would be cut.

Packers just don't value the guard position that much. Mike McCarthy yesterday said they value some positions more than others.

So the Packers cut a player on the wrong side of 30 who has seen his play decline last year and this preseason. They have a young guard who they think is ready to go. They save almost 6 million dollars which will almost certainly go resigning their LT.

I still think Sitton is a good player, the Bears aren't getting garbage, but I don't think he is a top 5 guard anymore.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
Packers just don't value the guard position that much. Mike McCarthy yesterday said they value some positions more than others.

So the Packers cut a player on the wrong side of 30 who has seen his play decline last year and this preseason. They have a young guard who they think is ready to go. They save almost 6 million dollars which will almost certainly go resigning their LT.

I still think Sitton is a good player, the Bears aren't getting garbage, but I don't think he is a top 5 guard anymore.

Josh Sitton gave up 8 QB pressures all of last season. The guard they are replacing him with gave up 9 QB pressure this preseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
Josh Sitton gave up 8 QB pressures all of last season. The guard they are replacing him with gave up 9 QB pressure this preseason.

He didn't look great in preseason, but it's preseason. He looked fine last year when he had to start two games. I'd say right now he might be a better run blocker than Sitton. Needs to work on pass protection.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
The wrong side of 30? He is 30 years old now right?

I would think he has at least another three good years left in him.

That's still the wrong side of 30 (If you think of 30 as a fulcrum, he is on the other side of the fulcrum, not flat on top.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)

He must be bad if the genius Ted Thompson got rid of him. The same Ted Thompson who has had 2 of the greatest QBs of all time and has 1 SB appearance in his 11 years on the job. The Packers are a really good organization but the slobber fest that people have over TT is crazy. Their team isn't loaded with homegrown talent because they are all great. It's because they don't cut any of them. They don't use free agency which is generally a sound strategy but carrying over $20 million in space every year for a SB contender with holes doesn't really make any sense. He got the QB position right though and it covers up a lot of holes. GoSox, this isn't directed at you. You seem like a good fan and you are a good poster. I just don't really understand the Ted Thompson thing. I never really have.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
He must be bad if the genius Ted Thompson got rid of him. The same Ted Thompson who has had 2 of the greatest QBs of all time and has 1 SB appearance in his 11 years on the job. The Packers are a really good organization but the slobber fest that people have over TT is crazy. Their team isn't loaded with homegrown talent because they are all great. It's because they don't cut any of them. They don't use free agency which is generally a sound strategy but carrying over $20 million in space every year for a SB contender with holes doesn't really make any sense. He got the QB position right though and it covers up a lot of holes. GoSox, this isn't directed at you. You seem like a good fan and you are a good poster. I just don't really understand the Ted Thompson thing. I never really have.

This guy has only won 1 Super Bowl as a GM and 1 as a director of player personnel. Been a part of playoff teams almost every year. Total bum. I know a lot of teams that what kill for 1 Super Bowl win and to be a contender every year.

Ted Thompson has his faults, but he is still one of the best GM's in the game. That's not just my opinion. This whole thing with Sitton may come back to bite them, but I will give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt for now. I can't think of one player that he let go who ended up still being great and the Packers looked dumb.

Marco Rivera

Mike Wahle

Scott Wells

Aaron Kampman

Greg Jennings

James Jones

Charles Woodson

Tramon Williams

He was second guessed on all of those. None of those players did much when left. So Sitton may be great for another 5 years and the Packers look dumb, but I would be more willing to bet he doesn't finish that deal with the Bears.

Also, the Packers have a lot of homegrown talent because they draft well. Free agency is not a sound strategy, I wish Thompson was a little more active, but outside of the Broncos, most teams that live off free agency are bad and stay bad.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Can someone explain the outrage over releasing Gould and how the meatballs are upset by the direction Pace has taken? It's a complete rebuild that isn't done yet - I doubt Cutler, Jeffery, Houston and Royal are in the future plans.

I still think Jeffrey should be. And if he isn't, we should get draft picks for him. Same can be said for Cutler (look at what the Eagles got for Bradford).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
This guy has only won 1 Super Bowl as a GM and 1 as a director of player personnel. Been a part of playoff teams almost every year. Total bum. I know a lot of teams that what kill for 1 Super Bowl win and to be a contender every year.

Ted Thompson has his faults, but he is still one of the best GM's in the game. That's not just my opinion. This whole thing with Sitton may come back to bite them, but I will give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt for now. I can't think of one player that he let go who ended up still being great and the Packers looked dumb.

Marco Rivera

Mike Wahle

Scott Wells

Aaron Kampman

Greg Jennings

James Jones

Charles Woodson

Tramon Williams

He was second guessed on all of those. None of those players did much when left. So Sitton may be great for another 5 years and the Packers look dumb, but I would be more willing to bet he doesn't finish that deal with the Bears.

Also, the Packers have a lot of homegrown talent because they draft well. Free agency is not a sound strategy, I wish Thompson was a little more active, but outside of the Broncos, most teams that live off free agency are bad and stay bad.

Good post. But Sitton may well be successful in being a bridge to a line with Whitehair taking over. Even if he doesn't finish deal he may still be a good signing.

Marco Rivera

Mike Wahle

Scott Wells

Aaron Kampman

Greg Jennings

James Jones

Charles Woodson

Tramon Williams

He's absolutely good at his job. He's not the greatest GM ever that should never be questioned though. That's how people act about him.

Marco Rivera

Mike Wahle

Scott Wells

Aaron Kampman

Greg Jennings

James Jones

Charles Woodson

Tramon Williams

Also, I never said he was a bum. I also never said that they should live off free agency. I said it would benefit them to add a guy or two once in awhile. Especially when the roster has holes, they are a super bowl contender, and have loads of cap space.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Also, I never said he was a bum. I also never said that they should live off free agency. I said it would benefit them to add a guy or two once in awhile. Especially when the roster has holes, they are a super bowl contender, and have loads of cap space.

You see loads of cap space and think sign free agents. They see it as they have a ton of players who they need to resign. David Bakhtiari, Eddie Lacy, TJ Lang, JC Tretter, and Micah Hyde. Because they let Sitton go and didn't sign any big name free agents, there is a pretty good chance they can bring all those players back.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
You see loads of cap space and think sign free agents. They see it as they have a ton of players who they need to resign. David Bakhtiari, Eddie Lacy, TJ Lang, JC Tretter, and Micah Hyde. Because they let Sitton go and didn't sign any big name free agents, there is a pretty good chance they can bring all those players back.

Yeah I understand how the process works. They also don't do it because they want to recoup comp picks for free agents that leave. This is a sound strategy. But when your QB is getting older and the entire team's success depends on him it might behoove them to dabble a little bit more to fill holes instead of relying on 4th and 5th rounders to step in and cover injuries.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

The shock, disbelief, and outrage over the Gould release shows you how much attention the average fan actually pays to things as they develop. Gould was mediocre last year and the release didn't happen in a vacuum, preseason showed his decline probably wasn't a fluke. He hasn't really been the same since his injury, really. He was being paid top dollar for a kicker. It just didn't make sense to keep paying him regardless of how much cap space they had.

Kickers as accurate as Gould over the years are hard to find, but decent kickers aren't. It's not like Gould was groomed and drafted, the Bears plucked him out of nowhere after their kicker got hurt early in the season (I forgot his name, it was Paul Edinger's replacement).

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
The shock, disbelief, and outrage over the Gould release shows you how much attention the average fan actually pays to things as they develop. Gould was mediocre last year and the release didn't happen in a vacuum, preseason showed his decline probably wasn't a fluke. He hasn't really been the same since his injury, really. He was being paid top dollar for a kicker. It just didn't make sense to keep paying him regardless of how much cap space they had.

Kickers as accurate as Gould over the years are hard to find, but decent kickers aren't. It's not like Gould was groomed and drafted, the Bears plucked him out of nowhere after their kicker got hurt early in the season (I forgot his name, it was Paul Edinger's replacement).

Not even the average fan. People like David Haugh ( the lead columnist in the #1 newspaper in the 3rd largest market in the country), Laurence Holmes (670 the score host), others on Bears beat, and Michael Wilbon (national boob and blowhard) questioned the decision making process. It's all mind numbingly insane. Gould was bad. They didn't bring in competition because they didn't love the options. They liked Connor Barth better. He became available. They released Gould, saved money, and signed a different kicker that they were familiar with for less $$. The whole thing is really quite unbelievable.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Not even the average fan. People like David Haugh ( the lead columnist in the #1 newspaper in the 3rd largest market in the country), Laurence Holmes (670 the score host), others on Bears beat, and Michael Wilbon (national boob and blowhard) questioned the decision making process. It's all mind numbingly insane. Gould was bad. They didn't bring in competition because they didn't love the options. They liked Connor Barth better. He became available. They released Gould, saved money, and signed a different kicker that they were familiar with for less $$. The whole thing is really quite unbelievable.

How quickly people forget this game:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...chi.htm#all_pbp

And this game the very next week: (granted it was a 50 yarder)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...chi.htm#all_pbp

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)

Wilbon has a tweet from last December pointing out that Gould was bad enough to replace. This weekend he tries to make the Bears front office out to be incompetent. Maybe they are, but not because of this. That's just Wilbon's reflexive anti-Chicago everything being the "Chicago guy" who knows nothing about the teams or the fanbases.

Too much Gould bashing. I hope Barth is good, but I think we are actually going to regret this move (not for cutting Gould but for not finding a better long-term fit if we were going to go down this path).

Gould had a higher kicking percentage then Barth lats year, hit more kicks over 50 yards and more kicks over 40-49 yards too. In fact, Gould hit more kicks from 50+ yards then Barth hit from 40+ yards last year.

I think they absolutely should regret not bringing in competition into camp. But Gould was definitely on downward trend and I think his missed PATs really did scare them. This isn't a "we're way better!" but our kickoffs are probably better and we'll need to get inside the 30 to score points.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
I think they absolutely should regret not bringing in competition into camp. But Gould was definitely on downward trend and I think his missed PATs really did scare them. This isn't a "we're way better!" but our kickoffs are probably better and we'll need to get inside the 30 to score points.

Like I said, I don't think Connor Barth is better. Maybe Gould has regressed that much during the off-season, but last year, Gould was better then Barth.