If The Sox Moved

Doc Edwards Shot

I grew up in the far West suburbs and the Cell is about an hour and pretty painless. Get on the Stevenson, exit at California, take 35th all the way in to Lot G. Feels direct and avoids the backup you get on the Dan Ryan.

It's a bit more complicated now that I live just west of the Geneva/St. Charles area in Kane County. I want to avoid the Eisenhower and all of that, so I have to take 88 to 355 to 55...which sounds complicated but is the least frustrating way. If I lived much further North it'd be tough--at that point the easiest place to get would be Miller Park, which is also very doable from where I am. 2 hours, hardly any traffic.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how anyone could still be a fan of a team that moved from your city if you are from or reside in that area. Why would you want to support a team that left your area?

Maybe it's easier nowadays with how accessible games are to fans.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
There is NO F###ING WAY I would ever root for the Cubs. Even if my son played for the Cubs, I would not root for the Cubs. :lol:

In agreement - unless they changed ownership and Michael Jordan bought them or something. Even then I'd have a bad taste in my mouth.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
There is NO F###ING WAY I would ever root for the Cubs. Even if my son played for the Cubs, I would not root for the Cubs. :lol:

i am total agreement here. it is the white sox, the chi white sox or no baseball.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)
I don't know how anyone could still be a fan of a team that moved from your city if you are from or reside in that area. Why would you want to support a team that left your area?

Maybe it's easier nowadays with how accessible games are to fans.

there are fans who are not from the city that are fans of that sports team. so i think that is the exception.

Now that I've thought more about this, I think that if I felt that the Sox ownership didn't make a good-faith effort to stay in Chicago and just wanted to bail for more money, I would ditch them. I wouldn't continue to follow them, they could go F themselves.

I think my biggest problem with the idea of starting to follow the Cubs in this fictional scenario is not that I hate the Cubs too much to do it, but rather I wouldn't be able to tolerate their losing ways. For sheite's sake, over 100 years without winning a World Series? Being a fan of the biggest long-term failure in men's professional team sports in practically the entire world? Now THAT is what would keep me from ever becoming a Cubs fan. It would be too embarrassing and I couldn't tolerate being viewed as someone in need of constant sympathy.

Maybe I would become a fan of another team...probably the Cardinals since they are pretty damn good as a franchise and they're not too far away. I have friends who live near St. Louis, too.

I could also possibly switch to the Texas Rangers. I have a lot of family in the Dallas area.

I think it's interesting to hear people talk about maybe becoming fans of the Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, and even the Royals. But I don't see anyone at all talking about switching to one of the other Al Central teams: Indians, Tigers, Twins. I don't blame anyone for that as I don't think I could ever start pulling for any of our hated divisional rivals either. That might even be less likely than becoming a Cubs fan.

There is almost no chance I would remain a White Sox fan if the team moved. It's probably hypocritical to be that way, since I moved away from Chicago about 15 years ago and haven't looked back. That said, I still love Chicago, and the thought that someone would take a community institution (and a charter member of the American League with 100-plus years of local history) and sell it off to Oklahoma City or wherever just makes me sick. It would be a slap across the face.

I live in South Florida now, and I go to maybe three or four Marlins games a year. If the White Sox bolted, I'd probably just punt on baseball altogether.

Part of this depends on the circumstances of this move. If it was a fan f***-over, I would wash my hands of them. I'm not sure how I could NOT consider a move a fan f***-over, but in the chance that I did, I think I'd remain a long distance fan for a year or two. You get emotionally invested in some of the players, and you want to see them do well.

But ultimately, I'm thinking - - GO REDBIRDS!

SMO

:o :o

I'm a little surprised by all of the people who are saying they'd start following the Cardinals. I mean, I understand that being the Cubs' archrival and being tremendously successful is probably part of it, but they're not THAT close, and also have one of the more obnoxious and self-righteous fanbases in all of sports. And jumping from the Sox to such a successful franchise wouldn't exactly feel right. And you'd have to deal with Mike Shannon on radio. Yeesh.

Edited by 3GamesToLove