ESPN's Keith Law's White Sox top 10 List

royoung

http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=4736

Keith Law has some surprises in his top 10. It is behind paywall, so I'll summarize for those who can't access it.

1. Anderson

2. Fulmer

3. Adams

4. Michalczewski

5. Guerrero

6. Danish

7. Zangari

8. Leyer

9. Engel

10. Adolfo

Leyer is the big shocker here as he didn't even make FutureSox top 30. Law notes that he is a "power-armed reliever" who has a good change-up.

He was very complimentary of Zangari, saying he has "huge" upside.

Additionally, he says that Jacob May, Jhoandro Alfaro, and Jordan Stephens were the next three who just missed.

Missing someone? Law was as high as anyone on Courtney Hawkins when he was drafted, but he apparently didn't make his top 13.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)

Keith Law has some surprises in his top 10. It is behind paywall, so I'll summarize for those who can't access it.

1. Anderson

2. Fulmer

3. Adams

4. Michalczewski

5. Guerrero

6. Danish

7. Zangari

8. Leyer

9. Engel

10. Adolfo

Leyer is the big shocker here as he didn't even make FutureSox top 30. Law notes that he is a "power-armed reliever" who has a good change-up.

Law thinks Michalczewski can be average regular at 3B. Thinks Fulmer and Danish are both relievers. Still believes in Spencer Adams but velocity was low when he saw him in person. He thinks Engel is a 4th OF and also mentioned that Jacob May could be Sox 4th OF this season if they wanted him to be.

Leyer at 8th is ridiculous in my view. He's got a very nice fastball, runs mid to upper 90's with some movement and he can locate it. But this supposedly good change-up, according to every report I've seen might maybe flash average or a little better, but is inconsistent at best. His slider is mushy, and the change is just not there. Despite all his innings. I think 20's is even a stretch.

Fun fact also - he loves the radar gun. One of the affiliate contacts I work with said he was worried Robin would strain his neck because he always whipped around to see his speed so fast after delivering a pitch.

That said, Law seems to always throw in some weird flier on this list. Andrew Mitchell was his guy last year, and he's disappeared entirely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Leyer at 8th is ridiculous in my view. He's got a very nice fastball, runs mid to upper 90's with some movement and he can locate it. But this supposedly good change-up, according to every report I've seen might maybe flash average or a little better, but is inconsistent at best. His slider is mushy, and the change is just not there. Despite all his innings. I think 20's is even a stretch.

Fun fact also - he loves the radar gun. One of the affiliate contacts I work with said he was worried Robin would strain his neck because he always whipped around to see his speed so fast after delivering a pitch.

That said, Law seems to always throw in some weird flier on this list. Andrew Mitchell was his guy last year, and he's disappeared entirely.

What was Mitchell's injury last year? I was high on him out of the pen coming out.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
What was Mitchell's injury last year? I was high on him out of the pen coming out.

It's odd, he disappeared and didn't pitch at all in 2015. I sent a note to someone in the Sox front office, they said they'd check on it, but I never heard back. Wasn't important enough that I wanted to push it with them. So I really don't know.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)

1. Anderson

2. Fulmer

3. Adams

4. Michalczewski

5. Guerrero

6. Danish

7. Zangari

8. Leyer

9. Engel

10. Adolfo

i don't know, remember i usually do like crap when trying to come up with a list,

but, i really think Zangari should be #6 due to potential and promise. plus what he accomplish in a short time.

leyer, i really am surprise, #7 ???? i would imagine something like 13-15.

stephens more like, i don't know, 10.

engel and may are a tie... next season for me they should separate themselves.

but thanks for posting this.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)

Didn't the Sox leave Leyer unprotected in Rule 5? 10 seems a real stretch. I have always liked him a bit, though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
Yes, and no nibbles, which was expected. He's an arm to keep an eye on, sure, but I agree Top 10 is a big stretch.

So a guy who all 30 teams passed on is our #8 prospect?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)

good point, my rating is based on potential, but more like a 13-15 type of prospect and as i said, i am really lousy in rating the sox prospects.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)

Well, a guy who has talent but clearly would be eaten alive in the majors today, is the #8 prospect according to one particular guy who knows baseball but not necessarily the Sox system very well.

No one took Keon Barnum either. Wait, maybe that's a bad example.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Either way, this is a big year for Leyer. He turns 23 in a few weeks, and has yet to have a season that really makes him stand out. Especially with all of the starting pitching talent in the system, he has got to be feeling some pressure this year.

I'm going to get myself in trouble for this I'm sure, but what starting pitching depth? Outside of the top guys, it's pretty weak in terms of pitching. Most of the pitchers in the top 30 project as relievers IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
I'm going to get myself in trouble for this I'm sure, but what starting pitching depth? Outside of the top guys, it's pretty weak in terms of pitching. Most of the pitchers in the top 30 project as relievers IMO.

Fulmer and Adams are legitimate pitching prospects. Danish is on the next tier, as his numbers haven't impressed, but he is also years ahead of where his age would typically have him pitching. Plus you still have a mess of C level guys with guys in this system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Fulmer and Adams are legitimate pitching prospects. Danish is on the next tier, as his numbers haven't impressed, but he is also years ahead of where his age would typically have him pitching. Plus you still have a mess of C level guys with guys in this system.

Danish has one year of unimpressive results.

And then you have the Fulmer is a reliever, Adams' velocity was down camps.

I guess there are also Guerrero and Stephens, but you would hardly say the system is loaded with future MLB-caliber starters. Let's just hope we can get one breakout performance to add another guy into the mix at high A or Birmingham.

No trouble. It's a valid point.

Between Fulmer, Adams and Guerrero among the top 6 or 8 prospects in the system, that's a good base. But it does get weaker from there. Most of the rest of the list is a combination of low-upside but higher floor starters (Beck, Clark, Stephens), higher upside but unrefined and open questions starters (Solorzano, Lowry, Hickman, Comito), and relievers of various grades (Tago, Wheeler, Cooper, Leyer, Goldberg, Dopico). The relief side actually looks pretty good, but for guys who likely are starters, it has thinned considerably since the summer with graduations (Rodon for example), and trades. And Danish is a big wildcard right now.

Sox lost some depth in the offseason. They cleared out a 2 pitchers for Lawrie; then they traded Myles Jahe and Almonte for 2 relief pitchers; not sure what the idea behind the Jahe and Almonte trades were, unless they just needed room for fresher prospects. Neither bullpen acquisition figures to make the 25.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Sox lost some depth in the offseason. They cleared out a 2 pitchers for Lawrie; then they traded Myles Jahe and Almonte for 2 relief pitchers; not sure what the idea behind the Jahe and Almonte trades were, unless they just needed room for fresher prospects. Neither bullpen acquisition figures to make the 25.

Lamb is higher floor than Jaye, closer to the majors, and is really good against lefties. The Sox have struggled to find reliable left relief help the last few years.

As for Kahnle for Almonte, I got the impression the Sox "saw something" with Kahnle that they think they can fix and have a solid major league reliever. Almonte is a few years from the majors, and carries some risk too.

In both cases, you traded away potential but unproven 2017-2019 guys for more 2016-2017, more likely to succeed help. Not saying I agree with either choice, just that's what I think they were going for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
In both cases, you traded away potential but unproven 2017-2019 guys for more 2016-2017, more likely to succeed help. Not saying I agree with either choice, just that's what I think they were going for.

I understand that. There is just no room in the pen for them right now. So they are likely depth, which is helpful. After they made the moves they still signed Albers. I supposed one of the incumbents could be traded, but none are the lock-down type who is likely to net much (outside of Robertson who won't be traded).