ESPN's Keith Law's White Sox top 10 List

royoung

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 21, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
I understand that. There is just no room in the pen for them right now. So they are likely depth, which is helpful. After they made the moves they still signed Albers. I supposed one of the incumbents could be traded, but none are the lock-down type who is likely to net much (outside of Robertson who won't be traded).

i don't mean to jump in here, but for me, the signing is to reinforce the idea of making a trade in the future with a pen pitchers being included in a pkg or maybe insurance for the pen.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)
i don't mean to jump in here, but for me, the signing is to reinforce the idea of making a trade in the future with a pen pitchers being included in a pkg or maybe insurance for the pen.

Either via trade or just depth for inevitable injuries/under performance, it is always a smart idea to have as many live arms you can. If you look at our options if something happens to our incumbent LOOGY's Jenning/Duke, the Lamb trade makes a lot of sense. As for Kahnle, there just isn't that many humans who can hit the upper 90's consistently. Coop will fix em' ;)

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Either via trade or just depth for inevitable injuries/under performance, it is always a smart idea to have as many live arms you can. If you look at our options if something happens to our incumbent LOOGY's Jenning/Duke, the Lamb trade makes a lot of sense. As for Kahnle, there just isn't that many humans who can hit the upper 90's consistently. Coop will fix em' ;)

that is kinda of want i wanted to imply, but i was taking the vague answer approach. this is security for those intangibles that can not be predicted nor anticipated. esp if this team will be in a close race for a playoff berth or not.

great post.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

Mr. Cleto says hi. There are actually a ton of relievers now consistently hitting 96-98...not nearly so rare as a decade ago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Mr. Cleto says hi. There are actually a ton of relievers now consistently hitting 96-98...not nearly so rare as a decade ago.

Command is the caveat of course. If Kahnle had good command to go along with his velocity there is no way we would of gotten him for a low level prospect. The White Sox must of saw something in his mechanics that they felt OK about potentially fixing.

Off the top of my head, we have four pitchers in the entire organization that can consistently sit upper 90's. Kahnle, Cleto, Nate Jones, and I saw Brad Goldberg hitting 98 and 99 when I scouted him in August. That was new for Goldberg and a pretty exciting development for his status as a prospect.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Command is the caveat of course. If Kahnle had good command to go along with his velocity there is no way we would of gotten him for a low level prospect. The White Sox must of saw something in his mechanics that they felt OK about potentially fixing.

Off the top of my head, we have four pitchers in the entire organization that can consistently sit upper 90's. Kahnle, Cleto, Nate Jones, and I saw Brad Goldberg hitting 98 and 99 when I scouted him in August. That was new for Goldberg and a pretty exciting development for his status as a prospect.

Robin Leyer is 95-97, T98 with the fastball. Tanner Mendonca hits upper 90's but I think they slowed him down when they re-tooled him. Daniel Webb was there, but again was a slow-down project of sorts. New signee Josh Wall has hit 100 and was often upper 90's, but that was earlier in his career and I have no idea if he's there now.

Then there are a bunch of guys more mid-90's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Robin Leyer is 95-97, T98 with the fastball. Tanner Mendonca hits upper 90's but I think they slowed him down when they re-tooled him. Daniel Webb was there, but again was a slow-down project of sorts. New signee Josh Wall has hit 100 and was often upper 90's, but that was earlier in his career and I have no idea if he's there now.

Then there are a bunch of guys more mid-90's.

I knew you would jump in NorthSide ;). That is a great point that many relievers have the ability to throw upper 90's but with detriment to their command. It may be likely that the White Sox re-tool him and he instead will become a 95-97 type guy.

My point is you can't teach velocity and reining a guy like Kahnle has some exciting possibilities than aren't available to most other pitchers.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
I knew you would jump in NorthSide ;). That is a great point that many relievers have the ability to throw upper 90's but with detriment to their command. It may be likely that the White Sox re-tool him and he instead will become a 95-97 type guy.

My point is you can't teach velocity and reining a guy like Kahnle has some exciting possibilities than aren't available to most other pitchers.

Tommy Kahnle is one of the reasons why I thought a guy like Petricka would be used to get an OF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)

Of course you can jump in - it's a message board.

The thing about a trade is that you can't trade until you're sure you have the replacement "fixed". And even then, you won't know they are fixed for sure until they see, say a month of pitching in the regular season. And the Sox have no one in the pen particularly valuable who is tradeable. What would, say, Jennings bring if we had a replacement for him?

I don't buy the trade thing...Sox just don't think that far ahead and rarely have the guts to pull the trigger on dumping a starter on the major league roster.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:53 PM)
Of course you can jump in - it's a message board.

The thing about a trade is that you can't trade until you're sure you have the replacement "fixed". And even then, you won't know they are fixed for sure until they see, say a month of pitching in the regular season. And the Sox have no one in the pen particularly valuable who is tradeable. What would, say, Jennings bring if we had a replacement for him?

I don't buy the trade thing...Sox just don't think that far ahead and rarely have the guts to pull the trigger on dumping a starter on the major league roster.

thanks but the last part is also telling from my side, it is also insurance for the sox pitchers.

i like that life preserver of having extra pitchers.