Hahn press conference notes

fathom

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 9m9 minutes ago

From GM Rick Hahn, sounds like only adds #WhiteSox might make would come through trades.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 14m14 minutes ago

"As we sit here today, we feel well positioned to contend." - Rick Hahn

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
As long as something is done before Opening Day, that's fine. Fowler supposedly wants 4 years or at least $45 million. Who knows with Jackson.

I don't think Hahn has proven himself, but he knows as well as anyone, he needs another OF.

Levine was on the radio this morning strongly emphasizing that they need to get a lefty bat and would trade lower-level prospects to get one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Levine was on the radio this morning strongly emphasizing that they need to get a lefty bat and would trade lower-level prospects to get one.

Yes, that seems to be the company line. Stone was going on and on about a lefty bat a month ago. He seemed disappointed Chris Davis was no longer available. I think they just need an upgrade.

Rick Hahn: "As I sit here right now I think anyone in this division has a chance to win it. We certainly expect to contend for it."

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/700776775509356544

Hahn: 'We expect guys like LaRoche and Avi [Garcia] over the course of the season to be the player they show flashes of being.'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/700777069853052928

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
Rick Hahn: "As I sit here right now I think anyone in this division has a chance to win it. We certainly expect to contend for it."

Hahn: 'We expect guys like LaRoche and Avi [Garcia] over the course of the season to be the player they show flashes of being.'

Reinsdorf must be proud of his awful GMs. Nothing like lack of urgency due to the loyalty of the boss.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)

I don't remember flashes from LaRoche....

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 9m9 minutes ago

From GM Rick Hahn, sounds like only adds #WhiteSox might make would come through trades.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 14m14 minutes ago

"As we sit here today, we feel well positioned to contend." - Rick Hahn

Has there ever been a year at this time when he hasn't said these exact words?

I get that Hahn has to make these comments, but they're always frustrating to hear. Especially the comment about LaRoche given that it was only few weeks ago at SoxFest when Robin & the front office said LaRoche would have to compete for a job.

And that will be my biggest beef if no one is added. LaRoche & Avi will essentially enter spring training with no one pushing them for playing time. If that carries into the regular season, then it's a failure on behalf of the front office.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Ugh, why...he was below average in all 3 categories last year. He provides you absolutely no offense from the RF spot. MASSIVE fail by Hahn if Shuck gets more at bats this season.

As of right now--the offseason has been a failure in my opinion. Todd Frazier was a good addition, but there are still a gaping holes out in RF, SS and DH. We all know Saladino is not an every day starting SS on a contending team. We all know Avi is bad and the only thing going for him is his age. We all know the La Roche signing was a bust and the DH spot in the lineup is a huge concern. If one of these guys can be average--that's a positive, but the chances for all three being positive WAR contributors to this team (that is supposed to contend) is a bit of a stretch. I can accept playing Saladino every day at SS until Tim Anderson is ready to go. However, the fact that they did not address that RF spot is beyond me?!?

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
As of right now--the offseason has been a failure in my opinion. Todd Frazier was a good addition, but there are still a gaping holes out in RF, SS and DH. We all know Saladino is not an every day starting SS on a contending team. We all know Avi is bad and the only thing going for him is his age. We all know the La Roche signing was a bust and the DH spot in the lineup is a huge concern. If one of these guys can be average--that's a positive, but the chances for all three being positive WAR contributors to this team (that is supposed to contend) is a bit of a stretch. I can accept playing Saladino every day at SS until Tim Anderson is ready to go. However, the fact that they did not address that RF spot is beyond me?!?

If Saladino fields his position well, he sure can be a starting SS on a contending team. He is also a great baserunner. Steamer projects an 80 wRC+, when the Sox won the WS, Uribe put up an 84. Back in the Sox heyday in the early 90s Ozzie was averaging about a 75. If he is anywhere near as good of defensive SS as he showed at 3B, he isn't going to have to hit much to be valuable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
If Saladino fields his position well, he sure can be a starting SS on a contending team. He is also a great baserunner. Steamer projects an 80 wRC+, when the Sox won the WS, Uribe put up an 84. Back in the Sox heyday in the early 90s Ozzie was averaging about a 75. If he is anywhere near as good of defensive SS as he showed at 3B, he isn't going to have to hit much to be valuable.

Saladino should be fine as a starter, but on a contending team he should probably be your worst starting player. The path to him being better than Avi and LaRoche seems much clearer right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
Saladino should be fine as a starter, but on a contending team he should probably be your worst starting player. The path to him being better than Avi and LaRoche seems much clearer right now.

I think LaRoche will bounce back a bit. Avi is a problem, but if he plays every day, at some point, his numbers will look great, like they did in May last year.

I would have been fine will saladino but if they would have gotten Fowler or get another bat that isnt a run producing bat for RF then they need to upgrade ss as well offensively. I think saladino is good defensively but I can't see him doing very well offensively. There are too many hopes of guys rebounding to career norms and others that gave come over hopping they maintain or improve. Still kinda leary of the offenseish

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
I think LaRoche will bounce back a bit. Avi is a problem, but if he plays every day, at some point, his numbers will look great, like they did in May last year.

Still want to know who plays DH vs LHP. Absolutely cannot put LaRoche into that spot.

I usually agree with the general consensus on this board, but apparently I'm in the minority that I'm overall happy with the off season. Would I like and upgrade at RF and/or SS? Of course that would be nice, but we have upgraded pretty massively at 2B, 3B, and C. Not to mention signing Latos for next to nothing and adding more depth to the bullpen. How much more can you realistically expect to happen in 1 off season? I personally love that Hahn is being smart and not giving in to the player demands. There are so many FA's still out there that I'm sure would like to be playing this season and earning a contract. There is no reason to give in to their demands and pay them what they want.

I'm fine with running Saladino out there for 1 season. We have Anderson waiting in the wings and we will have him hopefully at SS for league minimum for years. When it comes to RF, I think it'd be dumb to give Fowler a 4 year deal or close to a $50 million dollar contract, while giving up the 28th overall pick in the draft at the same time. When it comes down to it, I'm not an Avi supporter, but I understand giving him 1 more season to see if he can put it together like the Sox thought he could when they acquired him.

I think the way to build a winner is to find the bargains in FA and build from within. I do see that plan in place at the moment. Before anyone says it, I realize we have traded many prospects in our top 25 from last season, but let's be honest, who are we really going to miss? Montas maybe if he ever stays healthy. Other than that I'd be surprised if they amount to much in the majors.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
I usually agree with the general consensus on this board, but apparently I'm in the minority that I'm overall happy with the off season. Would I like and upgrade at RF and/or SS? Of course that would be nice, but we have upgraded pretty massively at 2B, 3B, and C. Not to mention signing Latos for next to nothing and adding more depth to the bullpen. How much more can you realistically expect to happen in 1 off season? I personally love that Hahn is being smart and not giving in to the player demands. There are so many FA's still out there that I'm sure would like to be playing this season and earning a contract. There is no reason to give in to their demands and pay them what they want.

I'm fine with running Saladino out there for 1 season. We have Anderson waiting in the wings and we will have him hopefully at SS for league minimum for years. When it comes to RF, I think it'd be dumb to give Fowler a 4 year deal or close to a $50 million dollar contract, while giving up the 28th overall pick in the draft at the same time. When it comes down to it, I'm not an Avi supporter, but I understand giving him 1 more season to see if he can put it together like the Sox thought he could when they acquired him.

I think the way to build a winner is to find the bargains in FA and build from within. I do see that plan in place at the moment. Before anyone says it, I realize we have traded many prospects in our top 25 from last season, but let's be honest, who are we really going to miss? Montas maybe if he ever stays healthy. Other than that I'd be surprised if they amount to much in the majors.

I think we all get a little more worked up than we should, this team should be better and if the bullpen and rotation hold, should contend. Take the 2015 Royals. They were contending with one of the worst rotations in baseball, Rios in Rf, and Infante at 2nd most of the season. They upgraded for sure, and probably wouldn't have won without the upgrade, but there were some bums in that line up a good part of the season.

I just think we see obvious available chances to make the team better, and so far they seem to have passed on all. It is easy to frustrate.

Edited by Dick Allen