Avisail Garcia will be...

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

47 members have voted

1. 1. Avisail Garcia will be...

• a starting outfielder for the White Sox.
    • platooned as outfielder /DH.
    • traded.
    • in the Minors .

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
There are too many OF still on the market with not much time left. Fowler, Jackson or someone else seems almost certain to end up on the Sox.

Since camp has begun, I think Hahn waits to see how spring training goes( for Sox as well as other teams) before he decides. If he waited this long, my gut is he hasn't found a guy who he likes enough to sign. Maybe a better alternative, like a Guyer, surfaces during ST.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
I'm guessing Avi will be a platoon partner for LaRoche and serve as the 4th outfielder. I still think Hahn brings in a LHB for the OF, one with defense that can play all three OF positions.

The few players who fit that description likely aren't available. The closest/easiest thing you'll find to that is JB Shuck.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
The few players who fit that description likely aren't available. The closest/easiest thing you'll find to that is JB Shuck.

I agree that there are very few available but for some reason I keep coming back to Houston's Andrew Aplin who isn't expected to make the team regardless of what he does in ST due to so many outfielders being ahead of him on the Astros roster. Springer, Gomez, Rasmus, Tucker and Marisnick are ahead of Aplin so he should be available at some point. Not the sexiest player but he's a player that won't cost the Sox a top prospect and still give the Sox the LHB, high OBP potential, plus defense and 6 years of team control. That's the kind of player I think Hahn ends up trading for.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)

Shuck is a 4th/5th OF, defensive replacement, once a week starter type.

He just doesn't hit well enough against either side pitching to use as a platooner.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Avi get to the .730 OPS range this season. He still has a pretty good walk rate (esp for this organization) and that might help him stabilize this year some.

Still don't know why he gets beat on so badly (esp considering the $42 mill "professional hitter" was almost as bad).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
Shuck is a 4th/5th OF, defensive replacement, once a week starter type.

He just doesn't hit well enough against either side pitching to use as a platooner.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Avi get to the .730 OPS range this season. He still has a pretty good walk rate (esp for this organization) and that might help him stabilize this year some.

Still don't know why he gets beat on so badly (esp considering the $42 mill "professional hitter" was almost as bad).

The professional hitter is making $42M and is thus difficult to replace. Garcia is cheap and has minor league options and was eminently replaceable this offseason. Combine that with him being a very bad baseball player, and it isn't that tough to imagine why he gets beat on.

In 2013 he put up a .730 OPS and was worth -0.5 WAR because he can't play defense and he isn't a smart baserunner. The average right fielder had a .759 OPS last year. Do people not realize the mountain he has to climb to be a productive player?

The average major league hitter walked in 7.8% of plate appearances last year. White Sox hitters walked at a 6.7% rate. Garcia was at 6.0% in 2015 and 5.6% for his career. So no, he does not still have a pretty good walk rate, even for this organization. Don't make things up.