2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 18, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
lol

Lindsey Adler ‏@Lahlahlindsey May 17

Approximately 214 Latino players in MLB as of Opening Day this year. Now zero Latino managers in the league.

Jeff Keppinger ‏@JKeppinger 2h ago

Jeff Keppinger Retweeted Lindsey Adler

The Mexican restaraunt down the street has NO white people working at it!

Jeff Keppinger ‏@JKeppinger 6m6 minutes ago

Sorry Twitter world!!!!! That last tweet WAS NOT from me! Someone thought it would be funny to go through my phone and write on my Twitter

Ah the good old "I was hacked.....not really I was just drunk and thought of something super smart and funny!" cop out.

Edited by TheTruth05

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ May 18, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Ah the good old "I was hacked.....not really I was just drunk and thought of something super smart and funny!" cop out.

If someone truthfully did that s*** to me, I would bust them out in name so that everyone knew who it was. Otherwise it comes off as "someone hacked me..."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
You said Desmond in June because he wasn't worth the draft pick. You also said absolutely no to Fowler because of the draft pick and you said he wouldn't be able to hit in the AL despite the fact he played in the AL one season and hit pretty well.

A

No, I said that the White Sox/Hahn would not feel he was worth the draft pick. Totally different.

Whether he's worth the draft pick to me, as a fan, that's another issue altogether (and one that's not really relevant).

At any rate, if we opened that closed thread...I was consistently arguing the merits of a Desmond acquisition (and most of the criticism amounted to his defense at SS and falloff offensively/declining OPS, etc.). I noticed you've gotten much, much quieter about that one now that Desmond's hitting like he was expected to. Now it's that I didn't want him, lol.

It's easy to take the position as a fan they should just spend on every free agent out there and ignore the draft pick compensation. I suppose it's easier to live in that unrealistic universe.

From now on, I'll write two halves to every post. What the White Sox should do, and what they're likely to do in reality...anticipating the fact they weren't going to give up Shark's draft pick because it would make that trade (at least temporarily) look even worse.

So I'll reiterate:

Really wanted Desmond, but knew the only way that was possible would be if he (or Fowler) made it all the way to June without any draft pick compensation.

Was lukewarm about Fowler, mostly because his background was comprised of offensive stats put up in Colorado AND the fact he really seemed to want to play elsewhere. Yes, I forgot he played for the Astros and that they were now in the AL, but it doesn't mean that Fowler was simply going to waltz into USCF and put up the same exact numbers he's piling up with the Cubs.

I also thought we'd take a run at Austin Jackson, and was right on that front. It was a logical move on the part of both sides.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
No, I said that the White Sox/Hahn would not feel he was worth the draft pick. Totally different.

Whether he's worth the draft pick to me, as a fan, that's another issue altogether (and one that's not really relevant).

At any rate, if we opened that closed thread...I was consistently arguing the merits of a Desmond acquisition (and most of the criticism amounted to his defense at SS and falloff offensively/declining OPS, etc.). I noticed you've gotten much, much quieter about that one now that Desmond's hitting like he was expected to. Now it's that I didn't want him, lol.

It's easy to take the position as a fan they should just spend on every free agent out there and ignore the draft pick compensation. I suppose it's easier to live in that unrealistic universe.

From now on, I'll write two halves to every post. What the White Sox should do, and what they're likely to do in reality...anticipating the fact they weren't going to give up Shark's draft pick because it would make that trade (at least temporarily) look even worse.

Is that why in the same post you said Desmond in June, you also said pay $10 million for Latos and $8 million for Parra?

You were just wrong and now playing the hindsight game where you knew it all alone. No, you didn't.

What you did do is say the Sox should sign him for $10 million. They signed him for $3 million and then you bashed the signing siting concerns he had so few offers. Desmond had few offers.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...h1eO/story.html

Jackie Bradley redemption story...apparently, the Tigers and Royals were pushing the Red Sox hard to acquire him, thankfully that didn't happen.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp...0519-story.html

Angels trading Mike Trout is a dumb idea that would make no sense for any team

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2016 -> 01:58 AM)
Lexi has no homers at this late juncture for the Padres. 14 RBI. I have no idea what his defense has been like. Sounds like he's not producing squat.

He's somehow worse than Rollins. Good thing we didn't re-sign him, no matter how cheap he was.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 20, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
Home plate umpiring has been worse then ever and now MLB is going to change the strike zone like it will make a difference

Until computers keep the umpires honest, nothing seems likely to change.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 22, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Changing the zone to make lower part above knee? Next step: hitters hitting off a tee.

It's a smart move. We're in the middle of a huge offensive downturn and pitchers are heavily favored. People forget how hard it is to hit a baseball.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
The Reds lost 7 interleague games this week.

NL 34

AL 33

A Cubs fan called up on the radio this week saying the NL Central is so tough, as the Reds are way better than people thought they'd be.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 24, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Nice to see Ichiro taking advantage of opportunities.

I hope that he gets his 3,000 hits this season and retires so that he can be first ballot HOF.

He's a first ballot HOF. He's one of the greatest hitters of all time. His similarity scores are Hall of Famers and he hasn't played his whole career in the MLB.