2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
The Red Sox have just under $40 million of payroll going to players who are no longer on their active roster.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/21/red-soxs-bill...-climbs-to-39m/

I'm wondering which franchise is paying the most to players who aren't on any MLB roster. The Red Sox have to be up there with Crawford, anyone else?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm wondering which franchise is paying the most to players who aren't on any MLB roster. The Red Sox have to be up there with Crawford, anyone else?

I presume you mean the Dodgers. I think the Dodgers are near the top of the list. Angels are pretty high as well (paying Josh Hamilton, CJ Wilson)...although I guess I'm lumping in DL players vs. not on roster. Angels, between guys on the Dl and retained money (i.e., Josh Hamilton's of the world) are at ~$75M for 2016 alone. Pretty insane. Dodgers are at 109M. Red Sox are at 51M (and that includes guys like Rusney Castillo and Alan Craig who are burried in the minors).

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-teams-w...d-money-in-mlb/

A little dated maybe (I know San Diego has probably jumped onto this list). Nobody mentioned Cleveland.

The White Sox would have shot up this list now with the removals of Danks, Latos, and Rollins.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Semien with his 15th homer of the season already, ironically against Jeff Samardzija.

On a pace for 30-35 homers at SS.

I'd be very surprised if he keeps up that pace.

I can see 25 HR, but not more. His defense will keep him out of the lineup at times in close games.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
I'd be very surprised if he keeps up that pace.

I can see 25 HR, but not more. His defense will keep him out of the lineup at times in close games.

You realize he's cut his error rate by more than 50% compared to last year while getting to even more balls, right? He's not Iglesias, but he's gotten himself up to being about an average SS. 3 other SSs have more errors than him so far this year and he's tied with Gregorius.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp...snap-story.html

Angels' pitchers trying new stem cell therapy as alternative to Tommy John surgery

Looks like Kershaw might have a lower back soreness issue, but not elbow or labrum related, thank god.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-s...snap-story.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 01:18 AM)
Is relentless really the correct word there, lol?

Surprised DA didn't also mention the Royals blowing two saves against the Cardinals and still prevailing at Busch.

Resilient would be better.

Why would DA have to mention that when you will post it in 5 separate threads?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Semien's on pace to be a 3.5 WAR player this year...god damn it.

There's a chance that the return the A's got for Samardzija ends up better than the return the Cubs got for Samardzija. That's pretty crazy.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
There's a chance that the return the A's got for Samardzija ends up better than the return the Cubs got for Samardzija. That's pretty crazy.

Eh. I love Semien but I'd rather have Russell than the 4 guys the Sox sent over combined. Semien is having a better year right now, so yes, "there's a chance," but Russell is 22.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)

It's also pretty wrong. Russell is younger and has a higher ceiling.

Edited by Deadpool