2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Evan Grant ‏@Evan_P_Grant 46m46 minutes ago

So of Fielder's $24 million, Rangers will get $6 million from Tigers; $9 million from insurance. Still responsible for $9 million

That works out perfect for the Rangers. And ideally Prince Fielder lol

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Evan Grant ‏@Evan_P_Grant 46m46 minutes ago

So of Fielder's $24 million, Rangers will get $6 million from Tigers; $9 million from insurance. Still responsible for $9 million

Too bad he's been worth negative WAR in his 3 years with the Rangers...

Meanwhile Kinsler looks like he's going to have a career year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
He still has $96 million on the contract. I am assuming it isn't a straight out retirement don't bother paying me, like LaRoche.

When he was a free agent, I was leery because his father fell apart around 31 or so. I thought genes might do him in, but this is obviously his neck. I imagine an insurance company is not very happy right now.

It is interesting that Prince and Cecil each hit 319 career homers.

I'm sure there will be some sort of injury settlement for the part that isn't covered by insurance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
It's not a voluntary retirement though, doctors won't clear him to play. He's "medically disabled".

Correct. But that's right now. He still hasn't gone through all of the rehab and recovery. They could easily clear him to play next year. If the doctors determine he is unable to play ever, even before his rehab/recovery, I would sue them if i was the team. Peyton Manning was cleared to play football with a similar surgical procedure. Not that all injuries and recoveries are identical but this is far too soon to make that determination.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
Correct. But that's right now. He still hasn't gone through all of the rehab and recovery. They could easily clear him to play next year. If the doctors determine he is unable to play ever, even before his rehab/recovery, I would sue them if i was the team. Peyton Manning was cleared to play football with a similar surgical procedure. Not that all injuries and recoveries are identical but this is far too soon to make that determination.

Yeah, but Texas is also getting $9 million a year from insurance for him to not play. Right now it is $6 million to bury him, or $15 million to play him, with the uncertainty of what Fielder would look like post-neck surgery #2. My guess would be that Texas wants him to play a whole lot less than Fielder wants to play.