2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Billy Butler missed the weekend series after Danny Valencia punched him right on the temple. Apparently some shoe guy was in the clubhouse and Valencia had some shoes he wasn't supposed to wear in games, only BP and warming up. He was wearing them in games, Butler thought it would be good to tell the rep Valencia was lying to him, and the fight started.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
So Billy Butler missed the weekend series after Danny Valencia punched him right on the temple. Apparently some shoe guy was in the clubhouse and Valencia had some shoes he wasn't supposed to wear in games, only BP and warming up. He was wearing them in games, Butler thought it would be good to tell the rep Valencia was lying to him, and the fight started.

Butler also egged him on according to a teammate. Said something along the lines of: "Your b**** ass isn't going to do anything about it." Also told the rep to drop Valencia.

Apparently Butler isn't very liked around the clubhouse.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)

The Mets are like "GODDAMNIT WE DIDNT THINK WE WOULD HAVE TO KEEP PAYING YOU THIS MUCH"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
The Mets are like "GODDAMNIT WE DIDNT THINK WE WOULD HAVE TO KEEP PAYING YOU THIS MUCH"

He makes less in each of the next 2 seasons than he did this year. And the way he's hit I don't think they'll mind that they'd have to try to resign him at a longer deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
Dodgers put their 27th player on the DL this season tying the all time record.

Friedman got $250 million to run a team, but is almost back to running the Rays with these injuries. Impressive they caught up with the Giants when they did

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
He makes less in each of the next 2 seasons than he did this year. And the way he's hit I don't think they'll mind that they'd have to try to resign him at a longer deal.

He still makes 24M per and he is a injury liability plus kind of a headache. And the mets aren't exactly in a good financial spot

The interleague Monday-Thursday (2 home/2 away) vs "rival" results from this season. 41-19 in favor of the AL teams.

4-0 Indians (Reds)

3-1 Orioles (Nationals)

3-1 Red Sox (Braves)

3-1 Blue Jays (Phillies)

3-1 Tigers (Pirates)

3-1 Royals (Cardinals)

3-1 Astros (D-backs)

3-1 Angels (Dodgers

3-1 A's (Giants)

3-1 Mariners (Padres)

3-1 Rangers (Rockies)

2-2 Yankees (Mets)

2-2 White Sox (Cubs)

2-2 Twins (Brewers)

1-3 Rays (Marlins)

Congratulations to the Marlins for being the only NL team to win 3 out of 4.

The Rays were the only AL team not win a home game; the White Sox were the only AL team not to win a road game.

Every other interleague 2- or 3-game series is 106-102, in favor of the AL. 147-121 total, with 32 left.

Remember back in July when there were rumors about the Sox inquiring about the red hot Gary Sanchez ? Yankee's asking price was "way too high" according to Sox sources. Yankees were also interested in Sale around the same time. Too bad something couldn't have been worked out. Sox price too high on Sale and Yanks price too high for Sanchez. Guess we know why now.

A Venezuelan winter league team has offered Tebow a contract. I'm actually curious to see how he does. Odds are against him and I realize he's probably doing this for publicity (as is the winter league team), but he clearly is a talented athlete. I still find it odd that he is going this route vs. just trying to become a TE / RB, which would have seemed to be a more natural move. I always find it interesting when top notch athletes try other sports.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
A Venezuelan winter league team has offered Tebow a contract. I'm actually curious to see how he does. Odds are against him and I realize he's probably doing this for publicity (as is the winter league team), but he clearly is a talented athlete. I still find it odd that he is going this route vs. just trying to become a TE / RB, which would have seemed to be a more natural move. I always find it interesting when top notch athletes try other sports.

Learning how to hit a 90+ mph pitch has to be one of the hardest things to learn on the fly, no matter how good of an athlete you are.

If the reports about the Sox not sending a scout are true, good for them. What a complete waste of time.

I think due to arrogance. If he can't be a star QB, why not make it as a multi-sport star in the sport Michael Jordan failed at?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
Learning how to hit a 90+ mph pitch has to be one of the hardest things to learn on the fly, no matter how good of an athlete you are.

It amuses me greatly that people don't realize that hitting a 90+ mph pitch is one of, if not the, most difficult things in sports.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
If the reports about the Sox not sending a scout are true, good for them. What a complete waste of time.

Thank god.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1h1 hour ago

Kudos to Tim Tebow for effort,but in words of 1 scout:He looked like an actor trying to portray a baseball player.'

Could be worse.

Should make one item clear. Sox were in attendance. And I also want to point out, I am one who is fully convinced if Jordan started baseball when he was younger or to be frank gave it more time, I think he could have played in the league. I'm not saying he would be a star, but to even do what he did at AA was pretty impressive for a guy who hadn't played baseball in forever. His stats were not good for a regular AA'er, but this was a guy who last played what, in high school, so he was 13 or so years removed from his last game, was put in AA, and was able to hit just above .200 while shockingly showing a pretty good awareness of the strike zone (51 walks in 127 games).

And I don't think this attempt has anything to do with arrogance, I think it has more to do with him knowing he isn't going to be able to play football and he wants to still compete so he is trying the next best thing. Clearly the odds are astronomical that he'd succeed, but crazier things have happened. Look at the movie the "Rookie".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Should make one item clear. Sox were in attendance. And I also want to point out, I am one who is fully convinced if Jordan started baseball when he was younger or to be frank gave it more time, I think he could have played in the league. I'm not saying he would be a star, but to even do what he did at AA was pretty impressive for a guy who hadn't played baseball in forever. His stats were not good for a regular AA'er, but this was a guy who last played what, in high school, so he was 13 or so years removed from his last game, was put in AA, and was able to hit just above .200 while shockingly showing a pretty good awareness of the strike zone (51 walks in 127 games).

And I don't think this attempt has anything to do with arrogance, I think it has more to do with him knowing he isn't going to be able to play football and he wants to still compete so he is trying the next best thing. Clearly the odds are astronomical that he'd succeed, but crazier things have happened. Look at the movie the "Rookie".

I think the chances of a guy coming in and pitching in the majors are way better than a guy coming in to be a position player. I really cant think of anyone that hasnt played in organized ball for a long period of time and was able to come in and play a position and hit. It has happened a few times with pitchers

We all know Tebow isnt gonna come in and pitch :lol: