2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3m3 minutes ago

A lot of concern within the Cubs organization today about Kyle Schwarber's injury, and there is more concern about his knee than his ankle.

Just heard him on the radio and it sure seems like the Cubs expect it to be a ligament tear

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Well the good news for the Cubs fan is the Cubs planned for Schwarber's injury according to the Tribune. That is probably why they traded Coughlin for nothing.

love the sarcasm :P I was actually hoping the Sox would trade for Coughlin, especially at that price. Would have been a nice DH/OF platoon mate

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
If that is the case are his catching days pretty much done?

He really should be an AL DH anyway, but if he tore an A or MCL I don't really see why he wouldn't be able to catch after a successful rehab. PTATC?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
If that is the case, how long will he expected to be out?

It's probably the MCL if a ligament tear. I all depends on the extent but probably 8-12 weeks. Could be as early as 6.

If it's ACL then obviously done for the year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
If that is the case are his catching days pretty much done?

I guess it would depend. I believe Carlton Fisk had knee surgery back when he was a real young player, and that is when you used to get a zipper on your knee. He probably shouldn't catch anyways.

Edit. Fisk tore his knee up in 1974. They have better surgical techniques and rehab now than back then. He played another 20 years. So catching should be fine from a knee perspective, but if his bat is that valuable, unless he is a top of the line defensive guy who handles pitchers really well, why have him take the beating?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
He really should be an AL DH anyway, but if he tore an A or MCL I don't really see why he wouldn't be able to catch after a successful rehab. PTATC?

Correct.

I wish no will ill on him but also wouldn't be upset if he was out for the year. I guess I'm indifferent on Schwarber. Wouldn't mind if Arrieta went down though because I'm tired of hearing Arrieta > Sale when Arrieta has only done it for one full season. If he does it again this year, then he is at least in the conversation to me but not until then.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
I wish no will ill on him but also wouldn't be upset if he was out for the year. I guess I'm indifferent on Schwarber. Wouldn't mind if Arrieta went down though because I'm tired of hearing Arrieta > Sale when Arrieta has only done it for one full season. If he does it again this year, then he is at least in the conversation to me but not until then.

I hate this post so much.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
I hate this post so much.

Ditto. He is a real life guy with his entire career ahead of him. We aren't talking about a rapist or anything like that. Sure I want see the Cubs bomb, but you never want to see something like this.

LOL. You guys are acting like Arrieta going down for the season (with a bum shoulder or elbow) is some sort of life threatening injury. GMAB. And I'm supposed to worry about a guy's financial stability when he's earning $10.7M this year? Wow, I won't even make close to that over the course of my ENTIRE career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Ditto. He is a real life guy with his entire career ahead of him. We aren't talking about a rapist or anything like that. Sure I want see the Cubs bomb, but you never want to see something like this.

Where did I say I wanted something like this to occur to Schwarber? I had to re-read my post because based on the reactions I thought I must have mis-typed.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Where did I say I wanted something like this to occur to Schwarber? I had to re-read my post because based on the reactions I thought I must have mis-typed.

We know what you meant, but it's still silly. This is peoples' livelihoods. I want to beat the Cubs in the World Series, but I bear no ill will for any of their players.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
LOL. You guys are acting like Arrieta going down for the season (with a bum shoulder or elbow) is some sort of life threatening injury. GMAB. And I'm supposed to worry about a guy's financial stability when he's earning $10.7M this year? Wow, I won't even make close to that over the course of my ENTIRE career.

More just making fun of you for being the lowest of low type of sports fan.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
More just making fun of you for being the lowest of low type of sports fan.

Lowest of low type of sports fan? Really? For hoping Arrieta goes down for the year with an arm injury? Why should I be upset or feel sorry for Arrieta if this were to happen? Please explain.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Lowest of low type of sports fan? Really? For hoping Arrieta goes down for the year with an arm injury? Why should I be upset or feel sorry for Arrieta if this were to happen? Please explain.

Come on man. You really don't see the problem with hoping for something bad to happen to another person? All because of the uniform that person wears? As a team, I would love to see the cubs fail but I don't wish anything bad on their players. They have the Billy goat curse and that's good enough for me.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

I wish Arietta would shave his beard. It looks so fake to me. I want to pull it off.