2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Seemingly the biggest problem for the Cubs this year is going to be keeping up their competitive "edge" in the last 6-8 weeks of the season...if they win the division by TOO MUCH, and start resting some of their regulars along with Lester/Arrieta, there's going to be the danger they're vulnerable to a team that survived the tempest of the playoff race and probably a win or go home wild card match-up.

Not easy just to "turn it back on" after not being in competitive mode for so long...the Cubs learned that last playoff season with the long layoff before NLCS.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2016 -> 05:08 AM)
Seemingly the biggest problem for the Cubs this year is going to be keeping up their competitive "edge" in the last 6-8 weeks of the season...if they win the division by TOO MUCH, and start resting some of their regulars along with Lester/Arrieta, there's going to be the danger they're vulnerable to a team that survived the tempest of the playoff race and probably a win or go home wild card match-up.

Not easy just to "turn it back on" after not being in competitive mode for so long...the Cubs learned that last playoff season with the long layoff before NLCS.

Definitely a possibility. Also to play without having to withstand too many injuries.

Still a really good problem to have if you're the Cubs.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ May 8, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
I've spent five days in Chicago in the last 18 years, so I don't give a s*** about the Cubs, but Arrieta will get a loss or a no decision today.

And another Dusty choke. Since when is Petit a late inning reliever. Cubs of course have a pitcher lead off the 7th with a hit.

You have wonder if both Chi teams dominance is due to more bad teams this year.

Both teams have two very talented teams in their division (CLE/KC, PIT/STL) who are badly underperforming right now. I think both win their division but both will get challenged more than they are now.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 8, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
What'd he do?

Other than Ricketts, Joe is the person involved with the Cubs I love to hate the most.

Tried to say Ramos was blocking the plate.

It's 100% warranted and a smart challenge to make, but ugh.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
That lineup is horrible around right now (other than Murphy killing the ball so far this year).

Yep, Zimmerman/Rendon/Werth are really bad. That's a team that needed to get Cespedes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
Not unlike when Barry Bonds was in his heyday with the Giants...hardly getting any pitches to hit.

I think that was the last time I've seen a player walk that much in a game. Bryce Harper is amazing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Bryce Harper had zero ABs in his last 11 plate appearances. 3 IBB, 7 BB, 1 HBP

Whatever it takes to win, right? Nats fans on Twitter are crying foul, but the Cubs embarrassed them this weekend.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 8, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
Whatever it takes to win, right? Nats fans on Twitter are crying foul, but the Cubs embarrassed them this weekend.

Tanner Roark is crying too. If I'm playing the Nationals, I am doing exactly what the Cubs did. That dude isn't getting the bat off his shoulder until anyone else in that lineup shows they can beat me.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 2, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
It's finally catching up to the Yankees and the Sox are stuck with Fat Panda.

Just don't understand the Heyward type contracts. Remember when the Cubs were so cheap they weren't letting the grounds crew work overtime? They sent them home early if there was no rain in the forecast?