2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Was Sosa ever suspended for a failed drug test? Hard to trust the league or the testing given past history on this issue. I'm sure the tests are more sophisticated now than before but so are the masking agents and ways of circumventing the system. If something doesn't pass the eye test - i.e. abnormal jump in production, noticeable change in physical appearance, etc. it certainly warrants suspicion. How many pitchers have gone from bust to an ace, let alone best pitcher in the league, in their late 20's?

At the end of the day for many of these guys it's all about the money and the fame and gaining a competitive advantage to achieve both:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=42...t=bryant_howard

I believe the biggest thing they had on Sammy was wondering around Latin America with like $10,000 in cash on him.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
OBP's in today's Cubs lineup, current as I type this.

14 of their 20 games have been played against the three worst pitching staffs in baseball (ERA wise). The Cardinals and their solid starting pitching held them down. It's truly astonishing how bad some of these NL teams are. The Brewers have 3 legit major leaguers in their every day lineup. The Reds have 2 starting pitchers out of their 5 that should be in the majors, and they have the worst bullpen I've ever seen. A well-rounded team like the Cubs will just murder these weak teams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
OBP's in today's Brewers lineup, current as I type this.

For those that don't know the names to go with it, here's their lineup:

Villar

Pressley

Braun

Lucroy

Carter

Nieuwenhuis

Hill

Flores

Jungmann

14 of their 20 games have been played against the three worst pitching staffs in baseball (ERA wise). The Cardinals and their solid starting pitching held them down. It's truly astonishing how bad some of these NL teams are. The Brewers have 3 legit major leaguers in their every day lineup. The Reds have 2 starting pitchers out of their 5 that should be in the majors, and they have the worst bullpen I've ever seen. A well-rounded team like the Cubs will just murder these weak teams.

Its impossible to take NL results seriously. That goes the Cubs, Nationals, Dodgers, Giants (though they get the benefit of the doubt because three rings), Cardinals, Pirates.... you really dont know how good these teams are because 1/2 of their games are against minor league teams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
For those that don't know the names to go with it, here's their lineup:

Villar

Pressley

Braun

Lucroy

Carter

Nieuwenhuis

Hill

Flores

Jungmann

Luckily for Maddon, Villar led the game off with a hit, so he can pull Arrieta early and not worry about him going for a Johnny Vander Meer

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

Couldn't you argue that the Cubs are a big reason why those pitching staffs have those ERAs? Particularly the Reds. Also, it's amazing that Arrieta has had s*** command his last two outings and still doesn't give up any runs.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Couldn't you argue that the Cubs are a big reason why those pitching staffs have those ERAs? Particularly the Reds. Also, it's amazing that Arrieta has had s*** command his last two outings and still doesn't give up any runs.

The Reds, Dbacks and Rockies are giving up big runs to everyone though. Rockies actually shut down the Cubs also, I believe.

I was watching SportsTalk Live with Kaplan the other day. He asked the panel what was more impressive : 1) The White Sox sweep of Texas or 2) The Cubs taking 3/4 from the Reds paired with the no-hitter. Obviously, they all agreed with the Cubs taking 3/4 from the Reds. After the Cubs beat the Brewers today, I wouldn't be surprised if they said the Cubs taking 2/2 from the Brewers was more impressive than the White Sox going INTO Toronto and kicking their collectives a$$es. I would hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. The Kool-Aid is the sweetest it has ever been. Even when playing complete garbage.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
I was watching SportsTalk Live with Kaplan the other day. He asked the panel what was more impressive : 1) The White Sox sweep of Texas or 2) The Cubs taking 3/4 from the Reds paired with the no-hitter. Obviously, they all agreed with the Cubs taking 3/4 from the Reds. After the Cubs beat the Brewers today, I wouldn't be surprised if they said the Cubs taking 2/2 from the Brewers was more impressive than the White Sox going INTO Toronto and kicking their collectives a$$es. I would hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. The Kool-Aid is the sweetest it has ever been. Even when playing complete garbage.

That's your biggest problem. Just a disgusting Cubs homer. Still waiting for his smoking gun that the Sox had it in LaRoche's contract he could have Drake there.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)

lol that's a joke.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
lol that's a joke.

If the White Sox won the WS this year, even though 2005 was the greatest thing that I have ever experienced in my life of Sports fandom, it would be extra sweet. Especially with the current Kool-Aid and love fest associated with those adorable guys this year.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
Its impossible to take NL results seriously. That goes the Cubs, Nationals, Dodgers, Giants (though they get the benefit of the doubt because three rings), Cardinals, Pirates.... you really dont know how good these teams are because 1/2 of their games are against minor league teams.

Just saw this article by Bernstein and couldn't agree more with the first few paragraphs:

http://sports.cbslocal.com/2016/04/27/bad-...aseball-season/

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Just saw this article by Bernstein and couldn't agree more with the first few paragraphs:

http://sports.cbslocal.com/2016/04/27/bad-...aseball-season/

I wouldn't say the Rockies are tanking. Their moves this past offseason made no sense at all if that was their goal.

I wouldn't say the Rockies are tanking. Their moves this past offseason made no sense at all if that was their goal.

The Padres didnt seem to be tanking when they signed all those players in the 14-15 offseason.....but then we all saw what they wanted to do all along by getting those players.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
The Padres didnt seem to be tanking when they signed all those players in the 14-15 offseason.....but then we all saw what they wanted to do all along by getting those players.

Nah the Padres might not be trying this year, but they definitely went for it last year. You don't take on Kemp's contract and trade away guys like Trea Turner if you're planning on tanking.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
Just looking at the velocity data, if he was up to no good, it probably started taking place towards the end of the 2012 season. Some pretty big spikes across the board. It is amazing that he's throwing his slider 5-7 mph harder than when he first came into the majors.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?pla...16&s_type=2

3.47 mph on 4 seam

3.3 mph on sinker

5.75 mph on changeup

6.75 mph on slider

5.72 mph on curveball

Lol! Seems legit.

Goddamn near 7 miles on a slider. Pilates my ass.

Dont forget his yoga!

Look, the guy was on his absolute last gasps of major league chances and, with nothing to lose, started using. Made him a pretty damn good pitcher! Can hardly blame him really, he got $10m in his arb settlement this year.