2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
Tanner Roark is crying too. If I'm playing the Nationals, I am doing exactly what the Cubs did. That dude isn't getting the bat off his shoulder until anyone else in that lineup shows they can beat me.

I find that as annoying as the people who want defensive shifts banned. It's game strategy. Do they also want double teams banned in the NBA? If Zimmerman could get a single clutch hit, the Nationals would have won and there would be no crying.

Yep. I'm still shocked no one is just bunting (or even running when they reach base) at Lester to make him throw to first more. The guy has the worst kept secret in baseball with the YIPS yet teams still don't do anything about it.

The argument about running on Lester doesn't really make any sense. That teams and players get "psyched" out because everyone knows his problems so well that it causes them not to get normal jumps for some reason...and then there's all the runners that David Ross has cut down throwing behind them from the catcher's position.

Definitely a weird thing. Almost like they don't want to exploit it because it seems "unfair" to take advantage of someone's "mental/psychological" problem....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
I find that as annoying as the people who want defensive shifts banned. It's game strategy. Do they also want double teams banned in the NBA? If Zimmerman could get a single clutch hit, the Nationals would have won and there would be no crying.

There is a movement to stop the fouling of bad free throw shooters, sadly.

Here's their game-by-game prediction. Don't know what their model actually is, but I'd imagine it's trying to take into account run differentials and some other stuff.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-m...edictions/cubs/

They use each team's season-to-date ELO rating as the base, then adjust for starting pictcher, home/road, and travel (for 1st game in a series for road team). Cubs ELO is so high they are going to be a favorite against almost any team, any starter, even on the road.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/177174608/fr...lifts-white-sox

White Sox with a 78% chance to make the playoffs (Cubs at 97% already), 63% to win the division and the same 8% odds as the Cubs to win the World Series.

Projected at 93-69 (70-59 finish) and a run differential of +93. Indians at 84-78, Royals at 79-83 and the Tigers right behind them.

Twins at 66-96 and the Braves to lose more than 100.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
Why do the Cubs want Braun?

Their offense is already stacked, they need pitching.

According to ESPN’s Jim Bowden, the Cubs may look to upgrade their lack of production in left field after the Schwarber injury and Jorge Soler’s inability to hit consistently at the Major League level, “options include: Carlos Gonzalez, Jay Bruce, Nick Markakis, Ryan Braun, and Josh Reddick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
My twitter timeline is talking about Mike Trout to the Cubs because of a dumbass Julie DiCaro tweet. She said they'd be interested. The same way i'd be interested in having sex with Scarlett Johansson.

Pretty sure Mike Trout is equivalent to something even better than ScarJo.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
My twitter timeline is talking about Mike Trout to the Cubs because of a dumbass Julie DiCaro tweet. She said they'd be interested. The same way i'd be interested in having sex with Scarlett Johansson.

I have the utmost respect for Julie DiCaro...but ouch. That makes 0 sense.