2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is kind of annoying that it seems like a lot of Sox fans care more about how the Cubs are doing than the Sox are doing. I see it first hand everywhere. It's embarassing. Saying we won a world series in 05 is so cringe worthy. f***ing 11 years ago. I get it. The Cubs haven't won in a long time but what does that have to do with the state of each team now?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
It is kind of annoying that it seems like a lot of Sox fans care more about how the Cubs are doing than the Sox are doing. I see it first hand everywhere. It's embarassing. Saying we won a world series in 05 is so cringe worthy. f***ing 11 years ago.

Yeah, it is annoying. But, the White Sox are horrible. Their whole organization is a complete s$#t show top to bottom. A lot of my White Sox friends, as well as I, just find the Cubs more interesting. The White Sox are very boring, and with our FO continually making the same mistakes and "talking" like a broken record, the White Sox are far from enjoyable entertainment. The Cubs on the other hand, are enjoyable to watch. 11 years ago Kenny and the rest of those clowns caught lightning in a bottle. The White Sox are in a whole lot of trouble in this town.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)
Yeah, it is annoying. But, the White Sox are horrible. Their whole organization is a complete s$#t show top to bottom. A lot of my White Sox friend, me included, just find the Cubs more interesting. The White Sox are very boring, and with our FO continually making the same mistakes and "talking" like a broken record, the White Sox are far from enjoyable entertainment. The Cubs on the other hand, are enjoyable to watch. 11 years ago Kenny and the rest of those clowns caught lightning in a bottle.

No I'm kind of there with you. I'm talking about The Sox fans that try to talk s*** about the Cubs even though we don't really have anything right now to talk about. I'm jealous that they're set up nicely for like the next decade to at least be fun and competitive to watch. Even if this doesn't lead to a World Series (obviously not a guarantee) they will be interesting to watch by their fans and fans of baseball in general. Their fans should be excited and it's hilarious when people on here try to dump on them for it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
No I'm kind of there with you. I'm talking about The Sox fans that try to talk s*** about the Cubs even though we don't really have anything right now to talk about.

You got that right, we absolutely have nothing to talk about :) For the first time in my life, I have COMPLETELY had it with the White Sox organization. I fall for their crap every offseason, and I am disappointed in their performance during the season. The constant basement bargain hunting, the horrible trades, the crappy offense, the horrible bullpen, big mouth Cooper, no personality Ventura, Kenny the one hit wonder...it has just gotten old. Thank you for 2005, but get the hell out of here.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:17 PM)
You got that right, we absolutely have nothing to talk about :) For the first time in my life, I have COMPLETELY had it with the White Sox organization. I fall for their crap every offseason, and I am disappointed in their performance during the season. The constant basement bargain hunting, the horrible trades, the crappy offense, the horrible bullpen, big mouth Cooper, no personality Ventura, Kenny the one hit wonder...it has just gotten old. Thank you for 2005, but get the hell out of here.

Me too. This has become the most uninterested I've ever been in our team. It may coincide with the fact I graduated college in the winter and have been working my first real jobs since and all those other kind of big life changes however. I still check our score before I go to bed or look in the morning but I really don't dedicate my valuable free time to watching them.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
Me too. This has become the most unintetest I've ever been in our team. It may coincide with the fact I graduated college in the winter and have been working my first real jobs since and all those other kind of big life changes however.

Well, congrats on your accomplishments (graduating and getting a job). I am sure that plays a role, but in no way, shape, or form does it take away the fact that the White Sox organization is a huge pile of horse dung and has taken a toll on a lot of fans :)

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)
Well, congrats on your accomplishments (graduating and getting a job). I am sure that plays a role, but in no way, shape, or form does it take away the fact that the White Sox organization is a huge pile of horse dung and has taken a toll on a lot of fans :)

Thanks! And I added to my last post about my free time outside of work being too valuable to waste watching this mess lol

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Who do you guys think will be the biggest thorn in the cubs side this playoff season? I am thinking Giants.

I think any of the playoff teams could be thorn in the side of the Cubs. There are some strong teams. Giants, Washington, Dodgers (if Kershaw can come back), Cardinals, Mets. The playoffs are a crapshoot and any of these teams could beat them. I think it is far from a "sure" thing, but obviously they have as good of a chance as anyone. Additionally, they have a team that strikes out a lot against top notch pitchers, plus the weather will be quite a bit colder.

Not only that, but he's a really nice kid, humble, good family, Ivy Leaguer...

It's annoying when the Cubs aren't the obvious villains. Thankfully, there's at least Chapman now. And Lackey is the kind of guy it's easy to hate of he's not on your team, and a lot of people are trying to figure out reasons to hate Arrieta, but Sale acting like a 13 year old hasn't helped much...finally, the heart of that current order in Rizzo, Bryant and Zobrist, three more guys you'd be shocked with any of them having an off field issue. Schwarber seems to be like a quality dude as well.

Then there's Maddon vs. Ventura, two completely opposite personalities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)

It's annoying when the Cubs aren't the obvious villains. Thankfully, there's at least Chapman now. And Lackey is the kind of guy it's easy to hate of he's not on your team, and a lot of people are trying to figure out reasons to hate Arrieta, but Sale acting like a 13 year old hasn't helped much...finally, the heart of that current order in Rizzo, Bryant and Zobrist, three more guys you'd be shocked with any of them having an off field issue. Schwarber seems to be like a quality dude as well.

Maddon and Ventura are actually very similar personalities. Their coaching styles are different but they are both very laid back with a dry sense of humor

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
Maddon and Ventura are actually very similar personalities. Their coaching styles are different but they are both very laid back with a dry sense of humor

Sure, but Ventura isn't a born salesman, and he's far from Phil Jackson in terms of his motivational energy and positivism.

The average Cubs fan could probably cite 10-15 things they like about Maddon.

Otoh, the average White Sox fan still feels some amount of sympathy for Ventura, and maybe they know a little bit about his family, but he's pretty closed off about anything off the field. Maddon will riff on just about any topic, and the media machine eats that up. He's Ozzie with a dominant team and no alcoholism or bitterness.

Just look at the proliferation of Maddon managerial jerseys...it's probably outselling Sale jerseys in the city of Chicago this year. That's pretty incredible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)

Cubs offensive players seem like good guys but the main pitchers outside of Hendricks and Lester are unlikable (Arrieta, Lackey, Chapman, Strop, Hammel)

Well, even Strop will be a figure of sympathy returning "miraculously" from injury.

The other thing the Cubs did was get rid of Castro, Marmol and Soriano...that helped a bit as well. Garza, another highly unlikeable guy, to use a Trumpism.

And, for what it's worth, also nice to see good 'ol Edwin Jackson finding a new home in SD.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
Cubs offensive players seem like good guys but the main pitchers outside of Hendricks and Lester are unlikable (Arrieta, Lackey, Chapman, Strop, Hammel)

You'd love Arrieta if he was one of our guys. No one will ever be more like that than Noah of course, but he's in that mold.

Chapman...yeah that's a different story.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)

:hawk: